Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Part of the reason I just got a HTC One is because I wanted a phone with a larger screen, which I couldn't get with Apple. Now that I've had it for a couple of weeks, I wish it was a little smaller. It is hard to operate one-handed.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
the op's post completely misses the point because the numbers listed are not limited to 'smart' phones.

i would guess if the chart only included 'smart' phones, the 'normal' screen size would not even include anything under 4" and would go to at least 4.7".

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Part of the reason I just got a HTC One is because I wanted a phone with a larger screen, which I couldn't get with Apple. Now that I've had it for a couple of weeks, I wish it was a little smaller. It is hard to operate one-handed.

That's how I felt about my Nexus 4; the size was one of the first issues that cropped up that made me wistful about the iPhone. When other little niggling issues started piling up I made the decision to go back to my iPhone 4 and haven't looked back since.

Ultimately, I really don't care if Apple makes a wide-screen iPhone on par with the S4 or, hell, the Note, as long as I don't lose the option to have my 4" iPhone. Honestly, the iPhone 5 is a great size for me. I want everyone to be happy with their phones, but not at the expense of my happiness. :)

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
yeah, those percentages are flawed considering it includes feature phones as well.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
the op's post completely misses the point because the numbers listed are not limited to 'smart' phones.

i would guess if the chart only included 'smart' phones, the 'normal' screen size would not even include anything under 4" and would go to at least 4.7".

So the 3.5" iPhone 4/4S doesn't count as a 'smart' phone, as you put it?

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Once again, the vocal minority will not be happy until there is a 9.5" iPhone and a 3.5" iPad. XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Actually, those voices where louder before iPhone 5 and the iPad mini.

The iPhone 5 is big enough to make everything you'll expect from a mobile. Yet small enough to be perfectly portable and unobtrusive.

The iPad mini is small enough to be convenient, but large enough to be used as a tablet.

I can only talk about myself and my own experience. I usually don't browse while on the go, perhaps an occasional webpage or two. Therefore the only real gain that I got with the 4" display is a couple of extra rows on my tweetbot TL.

On the other hand, the iPad mini is big enough to display webpage in a way that I am actually used to.

I don't quite understand how is it better to have a bigger phone, which is harder to carry around, but not quite nice as a Tablet. Perhaps for women who carry a bag everywhere and for really really big men. But for an average 5"10 (like myself) the size seems right.

Choice is good. Apple knows it and they are in the process of giving us choice. Some of us girls have large hands!

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Choice is good. Apple knows it and they are in the process of giving us choice. Some of us girls have large hands!

I see plenty of girls with Galaxy S 3/4, Notes. I'm guessing the people that want to keep a small iPhone screen son't watch video or browse the internet alot.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
The only reason I want a bigger iphone is because I have big hands, and making the screen longer did not help anything. I want a wider iphone. How tall it is does not matter. They could have kept the I5 the same height as the 4S and made it wider, and I would have been happy.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
For me the Iphone 5 screen is perfect, it is portable, fits my pockets and etc. If you always carry around bag you can get something like galaxy note or you can take your tablet with you :D

Taskman

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
Hooden
For me the Iphone 5 screen is perfect, it is portable, fits my pockets and etc. If you always carry around bag you can get something like galaxy note or you can take your tablet with you :D

I have a Nexus 4 atm which I consider good. In my opinion after owning lots of different ones 4.5"would probably be ideal for me.
A note do for in most people pocket, even in tight jeans without any issue. I have owned one so I know.
There is never a perfect size that would fit everyone so it is great to have the choice of all brands and sizes.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
I see plenty of girls with Galaxy S 3/4, Notes. I'm guessing the people that want to keep a small iPhone screen son't watch video or browse the internet alot.

I just want us to have a choice while other feel that the world will end if Apple changes the iPhone.

How will they survive when the larger iPad is released this fall?

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Because those people want a bigger iPhone.

They are just expressing their opinions and trying to nag apple into making the phone they want.

Apple does not come to these forum for advise. They are not that stupid. Fanatics don't drive Apple. Apple does what Apple wants to do. People rant on here to get it off their chess, but if they think Apple is reading these rants, they need to get help.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Apple does not come to these forum for advise. They are not that stupid. Fanatics don't drive Apple. Apple does what Apple wants to do. People rant on here to get it off their chess, but if they think Apple is reading these rants, they need to get help.

I know... and those people last year wanting a smaller iPad were crazy to think Apple would make one.

Michael

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
larger screen

I want a larger screen so I can use the apps that Apple sells. This stupid 4 inch tiny screen doesn't help when using movie editing, photo editing, keynote, pages or numbers. Get with the new century Apple. Don't continue to live in the old.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
For those saying they don't want to have to use 2 hands on a bigger screen consider this...on Android they give you the 'back' button on the bottom menu bar, which eliminates the need to reach the top-left corner 'back' button. It was actually easier to use one-handed than my iPhone 5 (my opinion, obviously). That back button on Android is actually very intelligent...it always knew whether I wanted to go just back one screen within an app, or whether I wanted to go to the home screen.

I know that Apple is known as the company with the most human touch, and that's true to an extent, but Google really made some things intuitive with their interface.

Another thing they nailed is the multitasking button. It is rather inelegant and clunky to have to double-tap a physical button to switch apps, then reach the left side of the screen for your most recent app. On Android, two taps of the screen (close together, for a righty) and you're there. Much more "human-centred" than Apple's antiquated approach.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I don't see why its so hard...

-3.5" was perfect for the original iPhone
-technology developed further
-people want more options
-competition delivered
-Apple slightly upgraded to 4"
-people want more, Samsung proving that
-Apple will make a larger screen iPhone

oaktree

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013

That's good to hear. May I ask why you wanted a larger screen? I'm just curious what the thought process was. Thanks.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
That data doesn't support any argument related to the potential of a larger than 4" screened iPhone. It also doesn't reflect any other factor, such as OS, perceived phone quality, battery life, etc.
In my opinion, you have misused the data to support your point.

As for your point, there are many people asking for a bigger iPhone, that's undeniable. Like it or not, people will buy a 4.5" iPhone if it ever comes out.
Larger screen makes for a better media entertainment device as well as gaming consolle, not to mention the more options to any aspect of the OS or to any application can be added.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.