Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Whenever I type a name into Finder, e.g onyx, it does nothing, it never finds a filename or app. Never happened on Snow Leopard, only since I upgraded to Mountain Lion?

Any advice how to fix this?

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Try re-indexing your drive:
If that fails to index, enter the following command in Terminal:
sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/your drive name"​

I did all that GG, but still the problem persists.

Any other ideas?

I really need this fixed so I can properly remove apps.

By the way, Spotlight works top right. But in Finder it never displays the filename I type in! Is this a ML bug? Anything to do with upgrading from SL?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have cyberduck installed, onyx etc, and no matter what I type it does nothing and displays nothing.

I NEVER had this problem in Snow Leopard :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lytlrj428nyo2aj/Today.png

Any ideas what I can do GG? Now I can't fully uninstall apps:(
That's weird. It shouldn't make any difference, but try clicking on "Macintosh HD" rather than "All My Files" before you start your search. As a test, you might even click on your Applications folder before you search for an app.

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use Disk Utility to verify/repair the disk, then reindex again.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
That's weird. It shouldn't make any difference, but try clicking on "Macintosh HD" rather than "All My Files" before you start your search. As a test, you might even click on your Applications folder before you search for an app.

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use Disk Utility to verify/repair the disk, then reindex again.

I don't see "Macintosh HD" on left menu, so unable to click on it.

I only see things like Desktop, my home folder, Applications, Documents.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I don't see "Macintosh HD" on left menu, so unable to click on it.

I only see things like Desktop, my home folder, Applications, Documents.

Open console>system log then do a search in Finder, after this look if there is an error in the system log, if so copy it and paste in a reply here, could be a permissions issue.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Go to Finder > Preferences > Sidebar and check Hard Disks

Ok I did everything as suggested, repaired permission, reindex etc, yet problem perists, whenever I type an APP name into Finder, it just sits there and displays nothing!

What and How do I now completely remove and uninstall Apps? Help!!??:eek:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok I did everything as suggested, repaired permission, reindex etc, yet problem perists, whenever I type an APP name into Finder, it just sits there and displays nothing!

What and How do I now completely remove and uninstall Apps? Help!!??:eek:
I didn't mention permissions. Did you use Disk Utility to verify or repair the disk, or did you only repair permissions and reindex?

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
I have cyberduck installed, onyx etc, and no matter what I type it does nothing and displays nothing.

I NEVER had this problem in Snow Leopard :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lytlrj428nyo2aj/Today.png

Any ideas what I can do GG? Now I can't fully uninstall apps:(

You're trying to do a find within the 'All My Files' folder which is really a smart search for documents.

Do the bit about adding the Hard Drives to the side bar, then click that and do a search.

----------

You're also not going to get any results that will help you uninstall an app from a finder search.

The only result you'd get is the app itself which, deleting will not delete all the plist files and preferences. You need something like Clean My Mac to do that.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I didn't mention permissions. Did you use Disk Utility to verify or repair the disk, or did you only repair permissions and reindex?

Ok, that is completed too and reports everything fine.

----------

You're trying to do a find within the 'All My Files' folder which is really a smart search for documents.

Do the bit about adding the Hard Drives to the side bar, then click that and do a search.

----------

You're also not going to get any results that will help you uninstall an app from a finder search.

The only result you'd get is the app itself which, deleting will not delete all the plist files and preferences. You need something like Clean My Mac to do that.

GG says you can completely uninstall an App from within Finder. You disagree?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

The only result you'd get is the app itself which, deleting will not delete all the plist files and preferences.
That is false. Provided Spotlight is indexing normally, using Finder is the only method that will get all associated files when deleting an app.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
You need something like Clean My Mac to do that.
If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

I would not recommend using CleanMyMac or any of its variants, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. Here's a recent example. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

Ok, that is completed too and reports everything fine.
You definitely have a problem beyond not being able to effectively uninstall apps, as you should be able to search and locate files on your drive without problems. What method are you using for reindexing your drive? Please list the exact steps you're following.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Thank you GGJstudios, now it works after following ALL your instructions and directions. I think the repair disk or repair permissions, and adding Mac HD to list and using that did the trick. Thank you.:)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thank you GGJstudios, now it works after following ALL your instructions and directions. I think the repair disk or repair permissions, and adding Mac HD to list and using that did the trick. Thank you.:)

Cool! I'm glad it worked!

Rufus The Dog

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2013
Just registered to say thanks to GG :D

I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion last weekend and all seemed okay at first but today Finder just did not work at all so I followed the recommendations here and all is back and working.

Rufus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.