Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
Not really one for moaning about my kit, absolutely love it when it work's, one of the reasons I buy Apple. Just starting to feel a little let down..

My iMac (Mid 2010) has yet again started exhibiting issues resulting in me having to take it in for a Genius appointment, this is going to be my 4th visit with this machine alone. I've had 2 failed HD's, problems with the ports, damage caused by a repair and now either GPU or display issues. Started getting the oh so common dark grey smudges appearing on the display, in the top left and bottom right of the screen. I've got AppleCare luckily, which happens to expire next month so suppose it's gone wrong at the right time in that respect.

My MacBook Air (Mid 2011) has only had to visit the Apple Store once with a display problem and also the trackpad was leaning quite heavily to one side of the machine, got it fixed no problems, but now some of the screws on the bottom haven't been put in properly (more like just jammed in without any care) and are now crooked and the whole assembly creaks quite a lot. iPhone 5, about a month in the lock button decided to give in, got it replaced no problem. Replacement phone home button died within a week, third phone is ok *touch wood*. At the height of my troubles my MBA, iMac were both in for repair and I was getting my iPhone replaced at the same store! Couldn't do any work at all, quite frustrating.

Can't help but think that either standards have gone down or i've just been a bit unlucky :rolleyes:

Got a genius appointment next week for the iMac, not wanting to rant, just wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences?

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I can say of three friends I know, and myself who have all had problems with MacBooks in the last two years. One of them has had so many issues (logic board, 2 hard drives, optical drive, SD card reader) that Apple actually replaced his 2 year old machine with a brand new one today out of courtesy. My own experiences have had a failed logic board and hard drive, and more recently WiFi faults. I also have another pal who has had several issues with his 2011 iMac 27" including the disc drive, hard drive and display.

I also had the polycarbonate black MB for 4 years with zero issues but along with 5 iPhone 5's and above faults with mine and others machines I do feel the build quality hasn't been up to scratch of recent times.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Time to ask for a replacement. I had a similiar situation with my mid 2011 27" iMac. I've had numerous repair jobs within the first 18months (luckily I have AppleCare). So at the 5th repair I sincerely demand a replacement instead.

So I've been granted a new late 2012 iMac instead. But guess what? After 4 months of usage, I already have the signs of problem again with the display being dirty/stained.

Okay hard lesson learned, my next main computer would not be something like iMac anymore. If I really want an Apple computer, I'd get a Macbook instead, or maybe an iPad on the side and that's it. That's pretty much what Apple gives about computer. Leave the adult businesses and works to a real computer instead, yep .. a custom built desktop PC.

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
Time to ask for a replacement. I had a similiar situation with my mid 2011 27" iMac. I've had numerous repair jobs within the first 18months (luckily I have AppleCare). So at the 5th repair I sincerely demand a replacement instead.

So I've been granted a new late 2012 iMac instead. But guess what? I already have the signs of problem again with the display being dirty/stained.

Okay lesson learned, my next computer would not be something like iMac anymore. If I really want an Apple computer, I'd get a Macbook instead, or maybe an iPad on the side and that's it. That's pretty much what Apple gives about computer. Leave the adult businesses and works to a real computer instead, yep .. a custom built desktop PC.

Well I'm thinking about it if i'm honest, I'm not happy with the machine at all in it's current state. In recent weeks it's been crashing a lot and glitching out in graphics intensive activities and then this screen issue has just appeared. I'm also away for a month the week after my genius appointment, so there's no way they will be able to turn it around in time for me to pick it back up, so may see if I can pursue getting it replaced.

I love the machine, just the reliability is really starting to infuriate me, it's critical to my work and it spends that much time at the genius bar it's ridiculous, spend a full day transporting it around and then it's there for a good 7/10 days. Don't think I'd go for another iMac, definitely stick with the OS X eco system though, mostly due to needing it for work, but also I do prefer it to Windows.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I posted here late last year with issues I wa having with my iMac 2011 27". Was in at Apple 5 times in the course of 19 months. Each time a week in total. I was getting really concerned with this iMac so I personally wrote Tim Cook a letter about my concerns. Was honest and to the point about what was happening and what had been repaired. With the repairs I had done, should I have had to pay for them out of pocket, would have cost me price of new iMac. Well low and behold, I get a call from Apple Store that they had been called by head office and were giving a new late 2012 iMac BTO to replaced my problematic iMac. The only reason I got BTO was due to the fact I had top of line 2011 iMac.

My iMac was a business machine and I could not afford to constantly be having it in for repairs. Might be worth writing a letter to Tim Cook and emailing it to him. Not saying it will get you a replacement, but I was very surprised by what kind of response I got. Caught me off guard. Am very pleased with new iMac and have not had a single issue with it.

lehoffboss

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
I posted here late last year with issues I wa having with my iMac 2011 27". Was in at Apple 5 times in the course of 19 months. Each time a week in total. I was getting really concerned with this iMac so I personally wrote Tim Cook a letter about my concerns. Was honest and to the point about what was happening and what had been repaired. With the repairs I had done, should I have had to pay for them out of pocket, would have cost me price of new iMac. Well low and behold, I get a call from Apple Store that they had been called by head office and were giving a new late 2012 iMac BTO to replaced my problematic iMac. The only reason I got BTO was due to the fact I had top of line 2011 iMac.

My iMac was a business machine and I could not afford to constantly be having it in for repairs. Might be worth writing a letter to Tim Cook and emailing it to him. Not saying it will get you a replacement, but I was very surprised by what kind of response I got. Caught me off guard. Am very pleased with new iMac and have not had a single issue with it.

Almost identical thing happened to me. Took my 2011 iMac (No AppleCare) in after it didn't start up. They fixed the GPU, then the replacement GPU died and they forgot to reconnect the DVD drive up. Emailed Tim Cook and within 24 hours they had a brand new 2012 one ordered. Took that one home and it was an i5 and supposed to be i7 (BTO). Rang them straight up and they ordered the i7 and replaced within the week. Might've been a pain but I received fantastic service considering it was out of warranty.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Mine was under Applecare at the time I was having problems. This is why Applecare is so good to have. Mine had HDD, screen, power supply and graphics replaced. And next was logic board. I mean Apple tried everything to make it work and kudos to them for trying, but for me it was getting costly in down time. Plus my concerns went to what was this iMac going to cost me after Applecare expired. I have never had a problem with any other Apple product and I have owned many over the years.

lehoffboss

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
After going through all this I realised how foolish I was not getting AppleCare in the first place so bought it on the new computer. While they originally put down the fault down to GPU, from all my calls to the retail shop it sounded like they replaced the display, logic board, gpu and psu, so yeah pretty much the entire thing. Didn't make me feel so enthusiastic about their quality anymore. Plus had to use a 2009 macbook (not pro or air) which was horrible

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Pretty much iMac is the worst Mac ever sold by Apple in terms of reliability, and durability.

The concept is great. A desktop joint in one single package along with a nice display.

But considering you put all the guts in ONE BIG BASKET is asking for it. That's something I would never do again. It's inefficient, expensive and a big liability to maintain once you run out of AppleCare.

Of course a few members here try to convince you otherwise. But we own and experienced our troubled iMac by ourselves. So if they really love iMac, than we should exchange units and see how many rants they're gonna spit out after.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Pretty much iMac is the worst Mac ever sold by Apple in terms of reliability, and durability.

The concept is great. A desktop joint in one single package along with a nice display.

But considering you put all the guts in ONE BIG BASKET is asking for it. That's something I would never do again. It's inefficient, expensive and a big liability to maintain once you run out of AppleCare.

Of course a few members here try to convince you otherwise. But we own and experienced our troubled iMac by ourselves. So if they really love iMac, than we should exchange units and see how many rants they're gonna spit out after.

I've had nothing but great luck with all the iMacs I've had. Perfect reliability, of course I have AppleCare but fortunately I haven't had any need for it other than an occasional call to ask a question.

DarkoDonnie

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
since 2006 have had 2x white macbooks, 3x iMacs, iPod Touch, iPad3, iPhone 4, new rMBP .. never had a problem with ANY

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
I've emailed Tim Cook to see if it can do any good at all, fingers crossed anyway! Not event after a replacement, a computer that works reliably would more than suffice :rolleyes:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I've had nothing but great luck with all the iMacs I've had. Perfect reliability, of course I have AppleCare but fortunately I haven't had any need for it other than an occasional call to ask a question.

since 2006 have had 2x white macbooks, 3x iMacs, iPod Touch, iPad3, iPhone 4, new rMBP .. never had a problem with ANY

I don't know why there always some people try to justify their Apple products on a thread about how disappointed some customers with theirs.

How about a sympathy or simply leave the thread as it is if you really can't add anything but "My Apples are perfect" .. because the thread here is actually exist to discuss how imperfect Apple is.

So I ask you again, if you really have an enormous love :eek: for your :apple:, how about we exchange units, I use your perfect products and you, my defective ones. See how that pans out and let's see how your comments out afterward.

----------

I've emailed Tim Cook to see if it can do any good at all, fingers crossed anyway! Not event after a replacement, a computer that works reliably would more than suffice :rolleyes:

Yes you do that, I've done the same and got a phone call directly from Apple Customer Relation Manager a few days after.

Hope you'll get a replacement later.

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
Took the iMac in for a genius appointment Tuesday morning, the Genius I got was sympathetic and understood my frustration, but said the only thing he could do was to offer a repair, and that replacement devices are only given in rare circumstances which mine did not appear to qualify for. So I took it with a pinch of salt and just hoped this time the repair would work and I'd have no issues. Was told the turn around should be around 3-5 days and I should hear from the store within 48 hours.

Comes to thursday and I get a call from the Apple manager for my region, she has been passed the email that I sent to Tim, and wanted to get the full picture from my end, and find out what I really thought before proceeding further. After explaining my situation, she told me that I should get a call the next day. Sure enough I got the call, and glad to say I've been offered a 2012 iMac as the replacement!

Although my experience with the iMac is somewhat tainted, I cannot fault the service I have received in rectifying the problem and am very impressed at the speed that my case was handled. Will be going to pick up my new iMac tomorrow :)

Anyone in a similar situation I highly suggest emailing Tim or management, they have been faultless! Very happy with the outcome :apple:

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Although my experience with the iMac is somewhat tainted, I cannot fault the service I have received in rectifying the problem and am very impressed at the speed that my case was handled. Will be going to pick up my new iMac tomorrow :)

Nice to hear. I've had the exact opposite luck as some here with a number of iMacs from 2006, 2009, 2010 & now a 2012. The 09 eventually developed a dirty screen (with a lot of help from me) but all were solid computers.

There will always be bad units in each run & most who have good ones don't report on the ol' internets ;)

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Took the iMac in for a genius appointment Tuesday morning, the Genius I got was sympathetic and understood my frustration, but said the only thing he could do was to offer a repair, and that replacement devices are only given in rare circumstances which mine did not appear to qualify for. So I took it with a pinch of salt and just hoped this time the repair would work and I'd have no issues. Was told the turn around should be around 3-5 days and I should hear from the store within 48 hours.

Comes to thursday and I get a call from the Apple manager for my region, she has been passed the email that I sent to Tim, and wanted to get the full picture from my end, and find out what I really thought before proceeding further. After explaining my situation, she told me that I should get a call the next day. Sure enough I got the call, and glad to say I've been offered a 2012 iMac as the replacement!

Anyone in a similar situation I highly suggest emailing Tim or management, they have been faultless! Very happy with the outcome :apple:

Agreed. Apple service has been excellent. Hope you enjoy the new replacement.

Again, my problem (and maybe yours too) is with the product, not with the aftersale support.
Luckily Apple customer support is excellent. But if I may choose, I'd rather have a reliable product than smiley face on their service center :D

Benny-

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2009
Berlin
I have a mid 2010 21.5" iMac and I've had some problems to the point where is it very slow.
A year ago I had the 500GB HD replaced by Apple at a cost of £140 and it's starting to chug and clunk again as well as slowing down. I've upgraded the RAM to 12GB and i tend to reformat the drive once in a couple of months but the computer is still slow on start up and under moderate strain it runs at a snails pace.
One of the USB ports gave up a few months ago and they all seem to have a nasty habit of creating small sparks when inserting and removing devices.
I'll be going back to laptops once Fall comes around, it's my first and last iMac.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
glad to hear

Sure enough I got the call, and glad to say I've been offered a 2012 iMac as the replacement!

This is good to know. Glad your experience worked out for the best. Thanks for sharing your experience.

sukhoi37

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
hey guys, I also having the similar issue with my 2011 27" imac.
replaced gpu and lcd panel few months ago, now the display issue is back.
i'm really frustrated about this.
yes, i'd rather have a slower performance system than a high performance one but not reliable.
could anyone gimme Tim Cook's email address?

Thanks in advance

TeresaMac

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2013
Writing a letter to Tim Cook

I am new to this forum and unfortunately have the same grey smudges issue on my 2010 iMac. I had Apple Care and had the LCD switched out twice but it came back (and seemed to come back quicker every time). So now Apple Care has run out and I need to get it fixed once again. I have been researching like crazy and found this thread. Do any of you have the email address for Tim Cook or a link to where I can find it? I was going to private message but it doesn't look like I can do that on here. Many thanks and hoping I can be rid of this annoying issue once and for all!

Teresa

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
I am new to this forum and unfortunately have the same grey smudges issue on my 2010 iMac. I had Apple Care and had the LCD switched out twice but it came back (and seemed to come back quicker every time). So now Apple Care has run out and I need to get it fixed once again. I have been researching like crazy and found this thread. Do any of you have the email address for Tim Cook or a link to where I can find it? I was going to private message but it doesn't look like I can do that on here. Many thanks and hoping I can be rid of this annoying issue once and for all!

Teresa

Hi Teresa,

Tim's email address is: tcook@apple.com

Hope you get your issue sorted, Apple were incredibly helpful and understanding towards me!

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know why there always some people try to justify their Apple products on a thread about how disappointed some customers with theirs.

How about a sympathy or simply leave the thread as it is if you really can't add anything but "My Apples are perfect" .. because the thread here is actually exist to discuss how imperfect Apple is.

So I ask you again, if you really have an enormous love :eek: for your :apple:, how about we exchange units, I use your perfect products and you, my defective ones. See how that pans out and let's see how your comments out afterward.

----------

Because this is a discussion forum and we're discussing it?

It's fine for you and those with iMacs that have issues to throw around blanket statements like "Pretty much iMac is the worst Mac ever sold by Apple in terms of reliability, and durability." and you then criticise people for commenting that their history with the iMac doesn't reflect that?

*eyeroll*

Bonus points if an argument is then raised about how ****** Apple has become because 'look at all the negative experiences on forums!' is now an argument... because all the people with positive experiences are told to not post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.