Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Or you could turn on the radio and let the DJ change the records for you.

You mean let the DJ change the commercials for me? Radio sucks.

I have thousands of songs in my iTunes library available to stream from the cloud. Why would I voluntarily listen to commercials and garbage pop radio songs when I can listen to whatever I want through my phone? That's just dumb.

Being able to control the music with Siri so I don't have to take my eyes off the road is an extremely useful feature.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA

Aylan

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Boston
Slow news day?

Of course Apple has teams across the world working on multiple projects. Of course Apple is enhancing their existing technologies. What is the point of this article?

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
Maybe they'll move it out of the beta stage...:rolleyes:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 68

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Voice search is a gimmick, period.

Whether it's Apple, Google, or whoever else. Doesn't mean it's not nice to have but to think there's actual, widespread usage of it is just being naive.

so you work for apple's data centers and can provide us with those stats to back up your assertion, yes? er, no.

voice is quite useful. i routinely use it for composing short texts, adding appointments, setting reminders, finding local businesses, and navigation commands. routinely.

----------

Or you could turn on the radio and let the DJ change the records for you.

considering the sorry state of radio and the general awfulness of other people's music, why would he or i want to do that?

Schmitty11

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2011
Me: "What is the weather like in Pittsburgh?"
Siri: "Here are pictures of Narwhals"
Me: @#$!

Yeah, improvemnts welcomed :rolleyes:;):p

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
A Bronx accent would be tenfold better than a Boston one :D

If they really want to display their technological prowess they'd have Siri analyze the accent if the person asking the question and answer in the same accent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
Siri really sucks. She doesn't understand english well enough or grammar. She doesn't do enough. She's slower than dirt. Google's voice recognition is fast and far more accurate. I use her all the time, but her functions are too limited.

Improve her. Do it.

martygras9

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
Voice search is a gimmick, period.

Whether it's Apple, Google, or whoever else. Doesn't mean it's not nice to have but to think there's actual, widespread usage of it is just being naive.

Walking down the streets of New York, I find myself using Siri all the time to create text messages and do web searches. Perhaps it's not widespread, but that isn't to say that it's not useful.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Siri really sucks. She doesn't understand english well enough or grammar. She doesn't do enough. She's slower than dirt. Google's voice recognition is fast and far more accurate. I use her all the time, but her functions are too limited.

Improve her. Do it.

I have a bit of news for you, Siri is a bit of electronic stuff...not a woman. Siri it an "it", not a "she".

Just trying to be helpful on the off chance you can't tell the difference between a human and a thing...;)

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
North America
I'd really like it if Siri was added to OS X. And I have never heard of Google Now, until reading this thread. I'll have to check it out.

aleksoctop

macrumors regular
May 8, 2011
How about allowing Siri to perform simple tasks without asking Apple HQ for permission? Why would i spend time waiting for a command i execute daily, like "call my wife"? I mean Siri understands the sentence and then there's a 10-15 second delay (at least) before she executes, sometimes it fails altogether based on reception. THAT is completely unacceptable for what's supposed to be the best in class of this kind of personal computer.

If she understands the command, she should just launch it. Signal changes way too often to allow Siri to possibly fail or delay. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "I'm really sorry about this, but I can't take any requests right now.". LTE or not. Absolutely not acceptable, especially when there are android apps that actually DO the things you ask without a 30 second delay or chance of failure. The technology's there. We pay for the devices.
LET MY PEOPLE GO!

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
I have a bit of news for you, Siri is a bit of electronic stuff...not a woman. Siri it an "it", not a "she".

Just trying to be helpful on the off chance you can't tell the difference between a human and a thing...;)

Just in case you don't know, people have been using the feminine pronoun to refer to things, like ships for example, for hundreds if not thousands of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
This is where the consumers lose.

Clearly google now is the far superior product.

Yet apple won't implement it into their products.

I wish we could of worked this out :(

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Damn why Boston , ever here how they pronounce their words lol

Having lived in Boston, I can never get used to it.

"Pahk tha blue cah in Hahvad Yahd"

Wicked awesome :p

I wish we could of worked this out :(

Indeed. It's a bad breakup the likes of which have not been seen since "The War of the Roses." I wonder which will end up hanging from the chandelier.

Attachments

• war-of-roses-chandelier.jpg
    war-of-roses-chandelier.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.