Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
She had her own show on nickalodeon and has does many movies.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Ah, People Magazine...a fine and important publication. A must read for those in the know.

I'm not in the know...who is Amanda Bynes, what is a mental lockdown, and why should I give a ****?:confused:

In fact...why is this thread even in existence!

Edit: For reasons even I don't understand, I read the fine piece of essential reportage, and now understand a "mental lockdown" is an involuntary hospitalization. Incredibly clever phrasing!

I still don't understand why anybody should give a ****.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I read an article about this girl (mainly to figure out who she was after I kept seeing her in the news) and it looks like one of those "child stars gone wrong" cases.

She definitely has some peculiarities and probably could use the assistance of a professional. I hope she gets it and leads a normal life.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I read an article about this girl (mainly to figure out who she was after I kept seeing her in the news) and it looks like one of those "child stars gone wrong" cases.

She definitely has some peculiarities and probably could use the assistance of a professional. I hope she gets it and leads a normal life.

Or, perhaps, several sharp blows upside the head.

Or maybe the loony bin in which she currently resides could conveniently lose the key...and then we would have to pay attention to some really important stuff...like some other totally useless moron with no discernible talent or reason for any attention.

Cranky old SOB, ain't I. I just find these sad excuses for humans to be the object of any attention to be an incredibly sad comment on the state of our culture.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
For those who don't know her, she is basically Lindsey Lohan just younger.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Or, perhaps, several sharp blows upside the head.

Or maybe the loony bin in which she currently resides could conveniently lose the key...and then we would have to pay attention to some really important stuff...like some other totally useless moron with no discernible talent or reason for any attention.

Cranky old SOB, ain't I. I just find these sad excuses for humans to be the object of any attention to be an incredibly sad comment on the state of our culture.

Yes, I'm with you on this.

When one considers the manifold advantages of the First World, with all of the information and knowledge and potential for learning we have so easily on tap, it stuns me that we seem to spend our time and resources discussing such witless and irrelevant trivia instead. I readily admit that I don't get it.

For those who don't know her, she is basically Lindsey Lohan just younger.

And, ah, forgive me- but who on earth is she?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Amanda Bynes, just older. :)

And - eh, please remind me again - just who is.......ah, nah, forget it......

It is not that I cannot consult Wikipedia to try to find out who she is, it is just that I fail to see why one should want to try to find this out, on an occasion such as this.......why is this information important?

Sigh. I never could get the hang of this sort of ephemeral popular culture......and, to be honest, I never understood why so many others find this a story of compelling public interest......

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Still dunno who Amanda Byrnes is nor do I know what a 5150 hold is..

Sorry, I can't help you with Amanda Byrne part...I have no idea who she is, what she does (if anything), or why anyone should care.

I believe a 5150 Hold is what we call in Massachusetts a Section 12...in involuntary hospitalization in a psychiatric hospital or psych unit. It's usually a three day involuntary, and to extend it further actions must be taken. In the US, it can only be exercised if the individual represents an active danger to self or others.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Sorry, I can't help you with Amanda Byrne part...I have no idea who she is, what she does (if anything), or why anyone should care.

I believe a 5150 Hold is what we call in Massachusetts a Section 12...in involuntary hospitalization in a psychiatric hospital or psych unit. It's usually a three day involuntary, and to extend it further actions must be taken. In the US, it can only be exercised if the individual represents an active danger to self or others.

Remember while I'm not "in the U.S." I'm from the U.S.

I sorta take pride in my general shelteredness.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL

It's called the "Baker Act" here in Florida, we even use it as a transitive verb, "Baker Acted".

CaptHenryMorgan

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2013
The District
This topic is a waste of internet bandwidth. And there's plenty of it, so that goes to show you how irrelevant it is.

----------

She had her own show on nickalodeon and has does many movies.

Nobody with an IQ over 60 cares.

And to bring it back to a Mac Forum...in the immortal words of Steve Jobs: "can we raise the tone of conversation here?"

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I imagine to know who she is, you'd have to be around my age (20) or thereabouts. She had a very popular show on Nickelodeon; It was ridiculous and stupid, but pretty much everyone I grew up with remembers it.

But I must agree with the majority of posters in this thread; celebrity gossip in general is a waste of time, child stars especially.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.