Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to SemiAccurate, Intel will provide Apple with an ultra-high performance version of its Haswell for Apple's upcoming MacBook Pros. The report claims that the chips will include a special version of Intel's highest-end GT3e (Iris Pro 5200) integrated graphics.

Apple has requested a special top bin cream-of-the-crop GT3e selection from Intel, with "as much GPU power as possible." With the top chips going solely to Apple, that leaves the slightly less desirable remains for Intel's other customers.

It was widely assumed that Apple would release its next generation Haswell-based MacBook Pros at WWDC alongside the Haswell MacBook Airs, but that did not happen. Both the 13-inch and the 15-inch MacBook Pros have since shown up in benchmark results, however, suggesting that a release is coming soon.

The benchmarked 15-inch MacBook Pro revealed a Core i7-4950HQ chip running at 2.4 GHz, along with Iris Pro 5200 integrated graphics, which, as noted, are the best that Intel has to offer. Intel's promotional materials have suggested that the Iris offers 2-2.5x the performance power as the i7-3840QM chip with HD Graphics 4000 in the current high-end Retina MacBook Pro, but the new Retina MacBook Pros could see even greater performance boosts.

haswell_iris_graphics.jpg
Earlier this week, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggested that the updated MacBook Pros will launch in mid-September. It is unclear if Apple will refresh both the Retina MacBook Pros and the standard MacBook Pros, but many believe that Apple is planning to phase out the non-Retina varieties.

Article Link: Intel to Supply Apple with Special High-End Haswell Processors for MacBook Pro

the411

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I'm confused:

Is this for MBP or Retina MBP? Would make no sense to need all this GPU power for the low-res standard screens.

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
UK
Discrete graphics

Really wouldn't surprise if apple killed off discrete graphics in the 15inch proRetina.

Last edited:

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I'm confused:

Is this for MBP or Retina MBP? Would make no sense to need all this GPU power for the low-res standard screens.

It's presumably for the Retina Pros.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Okay this sounds like Apple is definitely looking to drop the dGPU.

Well if they could match the 650M performance that should be pretty amazing but will they be able to?

Interestingly, they did the same with the 650M. They actually overclocked it so it had the same performance as the 660M GTX. So ofcourse, they're not going to settle with just the Iris Pro.

tommyminahan

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
I'm confused:

They are both referred to as a MacBook Pro.

However this from the story:

Earlier this week, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggested that the updated MacBook Pros will launch in mid-September. It is unclear if Apple will refresh both the Retina MacBook Pros and the standard MacBook Pros, but many believe that Apple is planning to phase out the non-Retina varieties.

this could mean the end for the non-retina displays.

eltaurus

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
apple don't drop Dedicated GPU (Nvidia/ATI) .. that would be huge mistake.. Remember rMBP 13" sales.. not good right .. reason no GPU

MiKenning

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
Oh my god I hope the refresh is in September. I'm going to university, so I want to get it before I head off.

What's the best speculated date?

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
The refresh needs to be at 760m speeds at the minimum for it to be any interesting. If not, no more mac for me.

jread

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Austin, TX
Well, this pretty much clears up the question about whether or not there will be a dGPU in the Haswell rMBP.

I mean, if this new "Super Iris Pro" can at least match, or outperform, the 650M, then we are looking at a serious increase in battery life. I would also have to think that eliminating having to switch between two GPUs will also be an advantage. Then again, the 650M is old tech, so this thing will really need to be equivalent to a modern dGPU to avoid pissing everyone off. Also, what happens to the extra space now that there is no dGPU? Bigger battery? More RAM?

This is definitely interesting. I just hope to hell that this isn't only for the 15", and that both the 13" and 15" will get a version of these processors.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Oh my god I hope the refresh is in September. I'm going to university, so I want to get it before I head off.

What's the best speculated date?

According to the latest rumor, it's sometime in October, which definitely sucks. That's pretty much after the first midterms are done. :(

On the other hand, the analyst Kuo said somewhere around Mid September which would be pretty great since that's only about one month away after the semester starts for me.

And no way I'm spending $2000 on Ivy Bridge with potential display problems and scrolling lag. So I'm holding out, even if I do have to work with a broken display.

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Hope this happens very soon. Better GPU performance across the line would be great, but especially in the 13" models. But still seems like a dedicated graphics card should be an option in the 15", right?

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
apple don't drop Dedicated GPU (Nvidia/ATI) .. that would be huge mistake.. Remember rMBP 13" sales.. not good right .. reason no GPU
Where's your source on this? I've had a shot of the 13" RMBP and it's a very capable machine. Sure, it doesn't have the discreet GPU, but it still operates very smooth, and can handle FCPX quite happily.

I wouldn't expect it to run any major games, but it's a 13" laptop, not exactly your gaming/pro category. 15" is where the space becomes available for beefier hardware.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Hmm...how does this affect things like the Adobe suites that use Nvidia for some of their plug-ins and also the Video Co-Pilot plug-ins?

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
If they phase out the non-retina models, I'm very curious to see where the retina price point will end up.

Many people need more than 128gb of storage, and I think it would be very painful for most to have to pay $1700 for a 256gb retina (and only 13" !!!) vs. $1200 for a non-retina.

I'd be pretty thrilled if I could get a 13" retina, 256gb ssd msata version for around $1200-$1300 !!! That said, I don't expect this to happen. MAYBE we'll see a $100 price drop for retina, but more than likely it will stay the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.