Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Thinking about switching from Verizon to T-Mobile. How's are people liking T-Mobile? Reliable? 4G LTE work consistently?

ipaclansite

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2011
The service is decent, and a large portion of the city is covered by LTE. However, service inside buildings that are relatively thick is where signal starts to go down.

Unfortunately I have yet to see those crazy speeds. They are more toward the 20Mbps range.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I'd be ingested to see what the LTE building penetration is like for T-Mobile in NYC. I live in minneapolis and while out LTE coverage is good it does switch between HSPA+ and LTE a lot and building penetration lacks for LTE here. NYC has so many more buildings so it makes me wonder.

ipaclansite

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2011
I do pick up a LTE signal inside my office building on the West Side of Manhattan, and it works relatively well with good signal.

When I am at school though (Downtown Brooklyn), which has cement brick walls, data service can drop all the way down to O speeds, and signal strength is very low.

Periodically it would switch from LTE to 4G but its not that big of an issue. Cell service in the Subway is great as well, something Verizon I believe does not have yet. Many major stations have LTE and 4G service down there, and I have been able to grab my entire news feeds from websites within the small periods that I am on a train thats stopped at the station.

If you are talking about reliability, make sure the signal strength is (a little) over 2 bars, if it drops, your call wont make it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.