Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clamnectar

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2009
So I just downloaded "temperature monitor" for the first time, and I'm checking out temps on my 2.8x8 mac pro 3,1 (8x2 RAM). I'm totally ignorant of normal ranges, so I'm putting it out there -- anything amiss in these numbers?

5UceB1p.png

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So I just downloaded "temperature monitor" for the first time, and I'm checking out temps on my 2.8x8 mac pro 3,1 (8x2 RAM). I'm totally ignorant of normal ranges, so I'm putting it out there -- anything amiss in these numbers?
They're completely normal.

clamnectar

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Thanks. My fans are generally a little on the loud side, but I guess that's just how it goes.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Disassemble the whole unit and give it a good dusting. I'm doing it once a month and my MP is silent. Temps also lower a bit after that.

clamnectar

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Loud compared to what? Other Mac Pros? The more load on the system the faster the fans will spin increasing the audible volume of the fans.

Loud compared to when I first bought it. And I do spray-clean now and then, but just through the open case -- not fully disassembled

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
If you feel capable of doing it, I'd recommend full disassemble and cleaning. Especially if you didn't do it since you bought your MP. Compressed air won't remove big dust bunnies. Most dust accumulating areas are CPU heatsinks, front fan assembly, PSU and northbridge heatsink. It's also worth to replace thermal paste on CPU and northbridge with fresh one (high performance one like Arctic Silver MX-2, Shin-Etsu or IC Diamond would the best).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.