Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
I cannot get TetherMe to work. I have no other tweaks installed. It is the paid version. I could have sworn there was a dependency that had to install with it, but forgot what it was. All I remember is that the word network was in the description.

Thanks.

honkon

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
network-cmds!

Hi,
I had a similar problem today and finally figured out that I needed network-cmds. In case you can't find it, make sure you have "Hacker" mode enabled under the Manage tab → Settings in Cydia.

I don't know if the order matters, but I did the install like this:
Install network-cmds
Install Tetherme
Reset Network Settings
Open Tetherme from Settings.app (note that the normal Personal Hotspot heading will not appear until after you enable the hotspot once from Tetherme, further down the list in Settings.app).

Lastly, in case anyone sees this, I think it was iCleaner's checking and removing of unused dependencies that messed this up for me—Tetherme and the "Personal Hotspot" setting were available in Settings.app, but upon enabling tethering, nothing worked (Wifi network never appeared, etc.).

Hope this helps!

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Hi,
I had a similar problem today and finally figured out that I needed network-cmds. In case you can't find it, make sure you have "Hacker" mode enabled under the Manage tab → Settings in Cydia.

I don't know if the order matters, but I did the install like this:
Install network-cmds
Install Tetherme
Reset Network Settings
Open Tetherme from Settings.app (note that the normal Personal Hotspot heading will not appear until after you enable the hotspot once from Tetherme, further down the list in Settings.app).

Lastly, in case anyone sees this, I think it was iCleaner's checking and removing of unused dependencies that messed this up for me—Tetherme and the "Personal Hotspot" setting were available in Settings.app, but upon enabling tethering, nothing worked (Wifi network never appeared, etc.).

Hope this helps!

I ended up figuring this out a little while ago. What's weird is that this dependency does not install with TetherMe. If you run iCleaner and select unused dependencies it will delete it.

I did let the developer know about this and he had no idea that it was a required dependency.

This should be a stickie. Very popular tweak.

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
Whenever you run iCleaner, you had better fully understand each option that you are selecting to clean before you clean it. That is the problem with programs like that: people hear the benefits, and then go ahead deleting things they don't know about.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Whenever you run iCleaner, you had better fully understand each option that you are selecting to clean before you clean it. That is the problem with programs like that: people hear the benefits, and then go ahead deleting things they don't know about.

There's description for icleaner that remove unused dependencies removes the stuff you don't need. And I doubt there's a full page essay out there dedicated to each "setting". All I've seen is the description given by the dev copy and pasted. So I wouldn't exactly say we're deleting stuff we don't know about

However, as the dev of tetherme didn't have network-cmds as a required side-along install, icleaner removes it as it finds it an unnecessary package

----------

I ended up figuring this out a little while ago. What's weird is that this dependency does not install with TetherMe. If you run iCleaner and select unused dependencies it will delete it.

I did let the developer know about this and he had no idea that it was a required dependency.

This should be a stickie. Very popular tweak.

Has the dev updated the tweak so network-cmds is a required dependency?

I might be considering to purchase it when iOS 7 is out and T-Mobile free tethering is no more with the carrier update

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA

I don't think you understood my post based on your last post. Since tetherme didn't install with network-CMds, icleaner doesn't know that it's a needed dependency. I see what you're saying, but it doesn't apply here. This is developer error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.