Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Why do you need Screen Protectors for iPhone 5? Gorilla Glass 2?

You do not need a screen protector for iPhone or iPads at all ever.
Anyone who buys them is simply wasting money. These same people who are so concerned with resale value they spend exorbanant amounts of money on the stupid things, which they will never recoup when selling the device.
The glass used is extremely hard to scratch. If you are seeing any scratches it is simply scratches in oleophobic coating and nothing more. Which by the way even if the coating is to scratch, it will in no way cause it to all of a sudden begin to peel. All of that said people will,continuemtombe duped. It's been happening since the dawn of time. "A sucker is born every minute".

Perhaps. I don't use them. But if I were a lady with diamond earrings I'd might be concerned holding the phone up to my ear. Diamond is harder than any glass. Plus who knows what resides in purses. :)

Florals

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2013
Perhaps. I don't use them. But if I were a lady with diamond earrings I'd might be concerned holding the phone up to my ear. Diamond is harder than any glass. Plus who knows what resides in purses. :)

I use a screen protector for these very reasons (although sadly my earrings are not made of diamonds). I am frequently replacing the screen protector on my iPhone 5 because of the various items in my handbag that manage to poke holes in the screen protector - if I'd left my phone au naturel there wouldn't be much of a screen left. I don't usually wear clothing with pockets and I'm not going to become all anal retentive and have an iPhone-designated area of my handbag - ain't nobody got time for that.

To the people saying that there's never a need for a screen protector on an iPhone, I say that's a very narrow minded view. You have no need for a screen protector (and I'm sure that's very nice for you), but a large number of people do have a genuine need for one.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I use a screen protector for these very reasons (although sadly my earrings are not made of diamonds). I am frequently replacing the screen protector on my iPhone 5 because of the various items in my handbag that manage to poke holes in the screen protector - if I'd left my phone au naturel there wouldn't be much of a screen left. I don't usually wear clothing with pockets and I'm not going to become all anal retentive and have an iPhone-designated area of my handbag - ain't nobody got time for that.

To the people saying that there's never a need for a screen protector on an iPhone, I say that's a very narrow minded view. You have no need for a screen protector (and I'm sure that's very nice for you), but a large number of people do have a genuine need for one.

Very well said. :)

This thread needed a female input on screen protectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: JustJoshua

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Anyone who buys them is simply wasting money. These same people who are so concerned with resale value they spend exorbanant amounts of money on the stupid things, which they will never recoup when selling the device.
The glass used is extremely hard to scratch. If you are seeing any scratches it is simply scratches in oleophobic coating and nothing more. Which by the way even if the coating is to scratch, it will in no way cause it to all of a sudden begin to peel. All of that said people will,continuemtombe duped. It's been happening since the dawn of time. "A sucker is born every minute".

A screen protector to prevent surface scuffs DOES affect resell value. I have a friend that has a shop that repairs and sells many phones and he definitely agrees. In fact, he often refurbishes phones by replacing scratched up glass. Surface scuffs probably won't affect clarity of the screen whatsoever but to a buyer aesthetics do matter. A plastic protector ruins the feel and clarity of the screen (especially with high res ones these days) but a glass protector doesn't. I wouldn't argue about them being way overpriced though. As for females, it definitely makes a difference as well. Most of us guys have just our phone in our pockets. Our better halves often don't have pockets so their phones go in their purse, bag, random surfaces, etc... You should see the screen on my girlfriends past devices... You'd think she has it rolling around in diamonds half the time.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
A plastic protector ruins the feel and clarity of the screen (especially with high res ones these days) but a glass protector doesn't.
Again, depends on the screen protector. They're not all equal even among ones made from the same material. My plastic screen protector does no degrade image quality or feel.

I wouldn't argue about them being way overpriced though.
It's completey debatable. It's a subjective matter despite how people tend to use the word as if it's objective. One just needs to keep in mind that one person's overpriced is not necessarily the next's.

You're confusing "you" and "I" but that's a common mistake among the tunnel visioned that aren't able to see that needs/wants/preferences/priorities/budgets/etc vary from person to person despite ubiquitous real world evidence to the contrary.

The glass used is extremely hard to scratch.
It's not difficult to scratch. It's all about materials hardness. Glass isn't the hardest material out there and there are plenty of things that come into contact with screens that can scratch it.

It's mostly just paranoia: people started buying screen protectors at the first sale of the iphone/smartphone (when it was first released)
Screen protectors existed long before the iPhone and your revisionist history. They were use back when many smartphones had plastic screens that scratched very easily.

Again, it all boils down to preference. Not sure why people feel the need to correct the preference of others. If you don't see a need then don't use one. Just never assume that your preference is universal.

Last edited:

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

My wife uses a Spigen wallet, no need for a screen protector with them. I use a Spigen flip no need for screen protector either.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Again, depends on the screen protector. They're not all equal even among ones made from the same material. My plastic screen protector does no degrade image quality or feel.

It's completey debatable. It's a subjective matter despite how people tend to use the word as if it's objective. One just needs to keep in mind that one person's overpriced is not necessarily the next's.

I'll give you image clarity for a higher end protector like power support or spg, but it will never feel like glass. Another big factor for me is durability. Plastic screen protectors will eventually scratch and that's when clarity is compromised. Glass protectors simply stand up to scratches much better. As for price, I meant overpriced in terms of how much they cost to manufacture vs how much we are paying for them. I've certainly spent more than I'd like to admit over the years on screen protectors (since the plastic screen resistive touch days).

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
As far as no protector OP, I'm waiting for your next thread where you complain about scratches on your screen!
It's been over six years since Apple introduced the iPhone on Jan 9th 2007.

Between then and now I've had every single iPhone and at least 20 or more other brands & models of smartphones. Not one has been covered with a screen protector. They've all been carried in a slim leather pouch, in my front pocket. It allows me to enjoy a pristine phone that remains as nice as the day I bought it.

http://www.senacases.com/apple/iphone-5-cases/ultraslim-classic/

Abramski

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
Do you love your iphone? Get a screen protector the same day you buy you're device! Gorilla glass or not, its not an invincible piece of glass, even the safire glass of the touch id and camera lens can get scratches! And thats really more durable than gorilla glass! So use some common sence and buy a good screen protector! It does 3 things, it keeps the scratches off the screen, it can help protect you're screen if you drop the device and last but not least, you're device will keep its value a LOT better! I prefer a phone with some minor case damage but a screen in mint condition than a phone with a superb case but with scratches on the screen!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.