Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Friend sent me a link, opened it up, started to download this file:

womens-12min-animated_TXB_1.flv

Cancelled it before it fully downloaded. Will I have a virus?

I don't know what the site was because I killed Chrome too.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Until GGJstudios can get here and explain in detail...

There are no viruses in the wild that will effect OS X at this time. While OS X is not immune to viruses, none exist in the wild at this time.

So no...you don't have a virus.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

It's a video. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
If you click on a link in an email, then it will download a file -- a webpage, a pdf, a movie, whatever the URL points to. What did you think would happen?

Was there any text in the email, like "here's a video of my animated women"?

It's worth pointing out that Flash is know to have MANY vulnerabilities, so the flash movie could potentially contain some exploit that might be harmful to you computer (though it would need authorisation to do serious damage and still would not spread like a virus).

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
If you click on a link in an email, then it will download a file -- a webpage, a pdf, a movie, whatever the URL points to. What did you think would happen?

Was there any text in the email, like "here's a video of my animated women"?

It's worth pointing out that Flash is know to have MANY vulnerabilities, so the flash movie could potentially contain some exploit that might be harmful to you computer (though it would need authorisation to do serious damage and still would not spread like a virus).

If you open the file in VLC and keep Flash up to date anyway (which you should) then you're probably safe. I play FLV files in VLC even on Windows, never had an issue.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Any .flv file extension is nothing but flash video. Download, VLC Player, be able to play the video tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.