Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gMacbookPro

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
NYC
I just checked when I turn in Airplane mode.
Wifi and bluetooth can turn on.
This is new feature in iOS 6 :)

applefan022

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2010
Little Rock, AR
I thought mine has always done that. Just enable Airplane mode first then you can turn on wifi. Do it on an airplane every week for the past couple years.....

fronesis

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2012
Yes, you can do it.

No, it's nothing new. Airplane mode completely turns off the cellular radio and it will turn wifi off as well, but you have always been able to turn the wifi back on while still in airplane mode. I can do it right now on my 3GS running iOS 5.1

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Wish we could turn GPS back on while in airplane mode, too.

Regards,
Tom

Kaelbron

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2011
Not to create a new thread as I write this. What is the difference with airplane mode and not airplane mode on an a wifi-only iPad? You could turn on wifi, bluetooth, etc even in airplane mode.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Not to create a new thread as I write this. What is the difference with airplane mode and not airplane mode on an a wifi-only iPad? You could turn on wifi, bluetooth, etc even in airplane mode.

I'm guessing it's more of a "turn every thing off at once switch". Just a convienience thing. But they just call it airplane mode for familiarity to the consumer. That's my guess anyway.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
Some iPads also contain a SIM option. So airplane mode is SIM off, Bluetooth off and Wi-Fi off. Later you can switch on what ever you want.

Kaelbron

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2011
I'm guessing it's more of a "turn every thing off at once switch". Just a convienience thing. But they just call it airplane mode for familiarity to the consumer. That's my guess anyway.

Feels strange to wonder how it will be late when iOS 7, where you can turn off all such things directly via control center.

Some iPads also contain a SIM option. So airplane mode is SIM off, Bluetooth off and Wi-Fi off. Later you can switch on what ever you want.

I know there are models of the iPad as more expensive than Wifi model where one can insert sim card so you can surf anywhere.

Now I ask why is there such a function in Wifi iPad where you can NOT have a sim card?

For the only difference I see is that instead of the iPad is at the top left, it's an icon of an airplane.

Do you understand what i mean?

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Now I ask why is there such a function in Wifi iPad where you can NOT have a sim card?

It could be helpful if you were on an airplane and wanted to show that the device was in a mode that is safe for operation. That way the flight attendant doesn't need to know the details about exactly which model you have.

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth were able to turn on back with the iPhone 3G and IOS 2.0.
You are right. Accoridng to Wikipedia this feature was added in version 2.0.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.