Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
This is a question directly mainly at college students.

In 3 weeks, I will be returning to my University (I'm in the US) for fall semester.

Do any of you use your iPad for eTextbooks? I've never bothered with even looking into this, but now I'm really interested.

How easy is it to find an eTextbook that you need? And does it save your much money? I already have an iPad 3.

Google just announced an eTextbook service and I'd consider getting a Nexus 7 also if they have more availability.

Any insight is appreciated!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

In 3 weeks, I will be returning to my University (I'm in the US) for fall semester.

Do any of you use your iPad for eTextbooks? I've never bothered with even looking into this, but now I'm really interested.

How easy is it to find an eTextbook that you need? And does it save your much money? I already have an iPad 3.

Google just announced an eTextbook service and I'd consider getting a Nexus 7 also if they have more availability.

At my Community College, textbooks were easily found on CourseSmart, Chegg, Kindle and Kno. Pretty much every class book could be found from one of those sources. Unfortunately, at the 4 Year University level, etextbooks are much harder to come by. When I say much harder to come by, I mean I have not found one textbook from any of my classes this entire past year that is available as an etextbook.

When at my community college, etextbooks were roughly 1/4 the price because you could rent them for specific terms rather than having to purchase the book. I pretty much was able to buy my iPad with the savings from 1 year of etextbook rentals.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
My last textbook was like less than $20 as a Kindle ebook, and over $50 as a paperback. This year, mine is over $70 both in ebook and paperback format. I'm waiting until the first class to even bothering to order it. It's not a rental either.

So it's hit and miss.

1finite

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I use my iPad exclusively for textbooks and taking notes at college. I use Notes Plus and download PDFs of my textbooks. It's great not to have to carry 20lbs of books around.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
All my texts were on iPad. Mind you I was a film major so half my 'texts' were movies. But I was also a philosophy minor and had no trouble finding the books I needed. And many were public domain so much cheaper than buying paper

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Apple screens have a whiter white than any other tablets from what I've seen, so I personally would stick with an apple device for textbooks just so the white is as white as can be.

I love my mini and I did 8 years of school after high school to earn four degrees and I wish I'd of had my ipad mini. I would still take the mini over the full size ipad. I bought an ipad retina last week and have been using it a little bit - it's mostly for the wife cause she is having our child use her kindle fire 7" - and I still prefer the mini, and don't really notice that much of a difference in how the text looks when reading a PDF between the mini and full size retina. There is a difference but its such a minor deal to me I'll take the minis over the full size any day for any use!

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Apple screens have a whiter white than any other tablets from what I've seen, so I personally would stick with an apple device for textbooks just so the white is as white as can be.

I love my mini and I did 8 years of school after high school to earn four degrees and I wish I'd of had my ipad mini. I would still take the mini over the full size ipad. I bought an ipad retina last week and have been using it a little bit - it's mostly for the wife cause she is having our child use her kindle fire 7" - and I still prefer the mini, and don't really notice that much of a difference in how the text looks when reading a PDF between the mini and full size retina. There is a difference but its such a minor deal to me I'll take the minis over the full size any day for any use!

I just don't like the Mini's screen. I have a full sized iPad, and with the Nexus 7 having a 1080p display now, it's an option too.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Buy a used copy, tear it up, feed it through a scanner, and you have your textbook as a PDF.

It only takes a few minutes (depending on your scanner). The scanner is worth it, because you can use it to go paperless as well (syllabi, handouts, bills, receipts, etc. all available in the palm of your hand). I wouldn't buy an e-textbook even if it was available, because you actually have more control over it as a PDF (not locked into someone's DRM and app). As an added bonus, if you throw all of this into Evernote (handouts, class notes, etc.) it is all searchable and easily organized :)

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Buy a used copy, tear it up, feed it through a scanner, and you have your textbook as a PDF.

It only takes a few minutes (depending on your scanner). The scanner is worth it, because you can use it to go paperless as well (syllabi, handouts, bills, receipts, etc. all available in the palm of your hand). I wouldn't buy an e-textbook even if it was available, because you actually have more control over it as a PDF (not locked into someone's DRM and app). As an added bonus, if you throw all of this into Evernote (handouts, class notes, etc.) it is all searchable and easily organized :)

As much hate as I am going to get for this, I'd rather torrent a book before I scanned every page. :p

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
As much hate as I am going to get for this, I'd rather torrent a book before I scanned every page. :p

Why? If you scan it, you pay for the book, so it is legal and ethical. Instead, you would rather do something illegal and unethical. I don't see why.

The scanning takes maybe ten minutes at most (maybe five or ten more minutes for OCR -- optical character recognition). You could have all of the books for a course done in less than an hour. Heck, it might even be faster than a torrent.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Why? If you scan it, you pay for the book, so it is legal and ethical. Instead, you would rather do something illegal and unethical. I don't see why.

The scanning takes maybe ten minutes at most (maybe five or ten more minutes for OCR -- optical character recognition). You could have all of the books for a course done in less than an hour. Heck, it might even be faster than a torrent.

I can scan a book with 800 pages in 10 minutes?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Personally, while I would love to use my iPad for textbooks, none are available in ebook format and I can't be bothered buying and scanning all 12.

However, my electronics teacher said he would do it next term for us and upload it as a pdf, so I should have one :p

Sparticu$

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009

I have gotten most all of my textbooks through Kno. The only thing that sucks is that you can't use your financial aid so you have to pay up front and wait for the refund. It's worth it to me though. It beats the hell out of lugging around 5 books around campus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
I used my ipad (graduated last year, but hey I am going to do a Masters next term) for textbooks, its awesome.

You get cheaper books, you can carry all of them (provided they are available on some form) and not worry about the weight or misplacing them (unless you lose your tablet). Also you can multitask, I used kindle (ebooks) or ibooks (pdf loading for those rare to find materials) and took notes at the same time, not to mention I recorded every complicated lesson and updloaded my notes and recordings to both dropbox and evernote.

Not to mention those awesome note taking apps and the fact that I could keep my schedule and calendar with notifications set up so I never forgot anything.

the ipad is an awesome gadget for school, not to mention you can sneak play angry birds or other games if the lesson gets boring. :D

My ipad helped me become the 2nd best student on the law faculty and I really began as the worst. if applied correctly the iPad will do wonders for your student life, not to mention entertained and connected.

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
inkling is the one i'm using on iOS. to be honest, it's not much cheaper than hardcopy (sometimes even much more expensive than those on amazon. for example, my haematology textbook is $59 on amazon, but on inkling it is $79.)

the only reason i bought them as ebook is because all of my textbooks are extremely heavy, i can't imagine myself carrying 20+ kg of textbooks every day. if you mostly use your textbooks at home, i don't see why you should get ebooks.

nancyfromafrica

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Johannesburg
Yes you can go for the Nexus 7 it is good and will help you in your studies but if you are looking just for ebooks amazon kindle is the best option and it comes with a large screen as well.

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
Yes you can go for the Nexus 7 it is good and will help you in your studies but if you are looking just for ebooks amazon kindle is the best option and it comes with a large screen as well.

7 inches is not that big when compared with the ipad´s 9.7 screen, in my opinion you need the extra screen real state for a better experience. I dont mention the mini,s screen because the nexus one runs it over with its resolution.

But if going for the regular sized ipad I think iOS excels

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
There are places (at least one that I know of) that will scan your books for you for pretty cheap ($1 per every 100 pages, IIRC). They slice off the spine and send through a scanner, so you don't get your book back. You can specify from a number of digital formats. OCR is possible, but costs more.

Seems like the textbook economy must be a bloodbath in the last 10 years. Depending on your course of study, a single book may be hundreds of dollars. But at the very least you'd think multiple students are going in on a book and getting it digitized.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008

Sometimes I'll do this, but usually I just find loose leaf versions and scan those with my ScanSnap. I'm in law school and a good number of textbooks come in loose leaf. Sometimes I'll find a "used loose leaf" version on Amazon and you can tell the student before me just took off the binding themselves, haha. But either way, law school textbooks tend to be anywhere between 700-1100 pages, on average, and even that only takes me about a half hour to feed through my ScanSnap. I've never been able to get OCR working on such large files, but hopefully a future update to Acrobat will allow this.

After it's all scanned it goes into iBooks. Even though I don't use this feature all that much, it syncs the last page read to my iPhone, which is nice when I still need to finish my homework on the metro or something. Also looking forward to having it sync to my Mac with Mavericks. I probably won't be reading my books on there either, but I'm sure it will come in handy.

Anyway, I've been completely paperless since I started school, and I can't imagine doing it any other way. It's so nice knowing I always have everything I need and not having to carry a ton of books everywhere. The ScanSnap was definitely expensive but really worth it. I also scanned about 3,000 of my family's photos to keep them safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.