Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twombles62

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Hey all,

I currently have just received a 2013 13" MBA, but I'm considering whether I should buy the similarly specced (8GB, 256GB) refurb Retina Macbook Pro for the exact same price (Australian refurb store).

I've been getting by on my 2008 white Macbook, so either one will be much lighter, much faster, and last much longer. The 12 hour battery life is nice, but I never have the need to actually USE the whole thing, I get by with 5-6 hours and I can always find a plug if i need it.

I'm a law student so I do alot of writing and reading on my screen, web browsing, play some Dota 2 in bootcamp, but not much else.

So, to sum up, I love the speed of this MBA, but the weight difference is negligible to me, and the battery life is not as important as it is for most people... should I get the rMBP instead?

ALSO... buying a late 2012 refurb Retina MBP is not going to be affected by the release of the Haswell rMBPs will it? I mean, value wise, will the price in the refurb store change?

Thanks so much!

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
The MBA is a thoughtful student gift that would satisfy me but if you must spend, I would consider the Thunderbolt Display. It will give much more real estate to make the massive amounts of writing and reading more palatable. It also has onboard speakers to help keep your workspace uncluttered and a handy USB hub. If you don't need to purchase now, wait a bit as the refresh is coming soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.