Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I have a 4S and I love it but it has become increasingly slower since I got it.

When I say slow I mean in regard to responsiveness, launching and loading apps, processing requests/buttons pressed etc.

I don't know if this is due to software upgrades, although I havent upgraded past iOS 5.01.

I have cleared all of my text conversations and am only using 5 GB of the 32. I only have 2 pages of apps and none of them are in folders.

Would I notice a dramatic improvement in performance speed with 5?

carlos mara

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2013
You have Jailbreak? Many tweaks do consume a lot of RAM!

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk 2

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
I had a 4S until 2 months ago and it was silky smooth. I think I had it on iOS 6.0.1. My 5 is probably faster but I can't tell the difference to be honest. If there is any it's very minor to me. That's in regard to animations, button presses, etc. I don't play games with it.

I would recommend upgrading your iOS and doing a fresh restore (not from backup). If you're not willing to lose your iOS then try reset (settings> general > reset > all content and settings)...see how that goes. It made my 3G faster right before I sold it in 2010.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
It happens w/ all iPhones, just restore as NEW without backup if you want it fresh as it can be. :cool:

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
It's a Game changer for gamers!

I have the 4S and the Misses has the iPhone 5, she plays zero games where as I have 64gb on the 4S and only 2.1GB free. I play all the graphics intensive games, like NOVA 3, MC4, Real Racing 3, Wild Blood, Mass Effect, Amazing Spider-man, Dead Space, Back Stab, etc... I have all the console quality type games and the 4S handles most of them like a champ. Exceptions are Amazing Spider-man, The Dark Knight Returns, NOVA 3 and MC4 which show some slowdown. These titles have been optimized for the iPhone 5 and are silky smooth. The 4S handles all other titles with ease but the large open-world style games such as NOVA 3 and Amazing Spider-man, especially Amazing Spider-man suffers from frame rate drop and it really struggles at times.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
It is not such a big difference, a friend of mine is still using his 4s and It is running quite well :rolleyes:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I restore as new about every 6 months and this seems to help quite a bit. Its not the my 4S gets slow it just becomes unresponsive.

It seems to get worse if I'm in large group messages. But clearing them not doesn't make much difference.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Same here plus I think the iPhone 5 has much less problems than the 4S. My sister got 2 replacements and I have never needed one since last Chanukah.

You can't blanket statement something like this. The 4S has not had as many reported issues as the 5. They have all had their share of issues for sure though and they're really compounded by these forums.

That being said, the 4S is fantastic and fast but there is indeed a noticeable difference between the speed of the 4S and the 5. I know someone rocking the 3 and finds no need to get another. If you're not doing much more than surfing (light), e-mail and messages, then even the 4S's speed could be wasted on you.

When my 4S started to become unresponsive, I noticed it was basically full. I reorganized my apps, music, etc, and it has been great ever since.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

When I say slow I mean in regard to responsiveness, launching and loading apps, processing requests/buttons pressed etc.

I don't know if this is due to software upgrades, although I havent upgraded past iOS 5.01.

I have cleared all of my text conversations and am only using 5 GB of the 32. I only have 2 pages of apps and none of them are in folders.

Yes. But you would also get a similarly large speed improvement by just reloading your OS and starting fresh. Another thing to do is turn off many of the things spotlight indexes.

You can find canned benchmarks that show huge improvements in 4S vs. 5. But in real apps, Mail, Messages, Instagram, Tapatalk, there is little perceivable difference.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The differences are quite obvious. iPhone 5 is the better performer in day to day use.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I have the 4S and the Misses has the iPhone 5, she plays zero games where as I have 64gb on the 4S and only 2.1GB free. I play all the graphics intensive games, like NOVA 3, MC4, Real Racing 3, Wild Blood, Mass Effect, Amazing Spider-man, Dead Space, Back Stab, etc... I have all the console quality type games and the 4S handles most of them like a champ. Exceptions are Amazing Spider-man, The Dark Knight Returns, NOVA 3 and MC4 which show some slowdown. These titles have been optimized for the iPhone 5 and are silky smooth. The 4S handles all other titles with ease but the large open-world style games such as NOVA 3 and Amazing Spider-man, especially Amazing Spider-man suffers from frame rate drop and it really struggles at times.

One day you will have kids and all of this will stop.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012

No.

Not unless you feel apps / web pages loading 0.2 seconds faster is a "dramatic improvement."

Suck it up and restore your iPhone 4S if you want it to run like new again.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I had the same problem, as time went on I found myself respringing once a day just to speed it up again, in the end I say the heck with it and went back to stock, now its fast all the time again.

I am a firm believer there was a RAM leak somewhere

exynos-octa

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2013

Yes actually, the improvements are notable. When you go back to the 4/4S era it really does shock you.

But it improves where it counts. Like games can handle much better, music processes faster, pictures load faster, and videos buffer faster.

It processes a lot faster.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Yes actually, the improvements are notable. When you go back to the 4/4S era it really does shock you.

But it improves where it counts. Like games can handle much better, music processes faster, pictures load faster, and videos buffer faster.

How much faster?

Lets say we both press play on a YouTube video... how many more seconds would the 5 load the video than the 4s? 1-3 seconds faster at most?

To me that's not a huge deal. Even if I upgrade to the 5s and its 1-3 seconds faster than the 5 it won't be a big deal either.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011

None of those things matter to me, all I care about is how fast it responds/processes requests and buttons pressed and how quickly it launches/loads apps. How on earth can you say pictures videos and games are of prime importance??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.