Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Awhile back I started a thread on using an iPad as a backup for photos while away from a computer. There are a few cloud based storage places to upload to, but not one (that I've found) allows for the selection of an entire folder of pix, you have to select each one which will get tedious if doing a few hundred at a time.

Is there a way to transfer pix from the photo library onto a USB stick using the camera connection kit? I've looked at a couple of apps but they are unclear on that, it almost seems you need a computer in the middle. I have emails out to them but though I'd ask here. I'm guessing probably not as I'd think someone would have mentioned it in my last thread!

Thanks,
Diane

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well, I bought a third party camera connection kit then the apple one. The third party lets me use a wired keyboard, I'll see if it lets me transfer photos.

Edit: nope. I tried a few thumb drives and all of them say the device requires too much power. Since the card reader plugs into the only charging port available, it is impossible to provide enough power to the USB thumb drive.

Last edited:

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Thanks for the test! Do you need an app to even see it? I have a third party kit as well.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Is there a way to transfer pix from the photo library onto a USB stick using the camera connection kit? I've looked at a couple of apps but they are unclear on that, it almost seems you need a computer in the middle. I have emails out to them but though I'd ask here. I'm guessing probably not as I'd think someone would have mentioned it in my last thread!

Thanks,
Diane

Short answer: No. The USB dongle that is part of the Camera Connection Kit is designed to connect the iPad to a camera only, not any other type of device.

What exactly are you trying to do with the USB stick? Off-load the photos to free up space on the iPad?

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Short answer: No. The USB dongle that is part of the Camera Connection Kit is designed to connect the iPad to a camera only, not any other type of device.

What exactly are you trying to do with the USB stick? Off-load the photos to free up space on the iPad?

I hope it's not to free up space! I simply want an additional backup.

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
I hope it's not to free up space! I simply want an additional backup.

Hi Diane,

If you took the photo on your ipad then it'll automatically be backed up to icloud. If you took the photo on a different camera and transferred it to your ipad through a computer, then you should do your backup from the computer that your photos were on originally.

Hope that helps.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Hi Diane,

If you took the photo on your ipad then it'll automatically be backed up to icloud. If you took the photo on a different camera and transferred it to your ipad through a computer, then you should do your backup from the computer that your photos were on originally.

Hope that helps.

Neither applies. Most of my iCloud storage is sucked up with pix from the phone, so I don't have the iPad backing up pix at all. I'm not bringing the computer, but yes in normal instances those pix are backed up first onto my desktop, then onto an external drive.

I have discovered there is a library with computer access, so as long as I can get on one once or twice, that will give me the USB stick backup. And I may empty my dropbox account (which is also full of pix from the phone - which are also backed up to the laptop - I don't need 4 copies of those!)

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I was able to hit the library one day for a backup. Everything did go on the ipad, but the place I was in didn't have wireless so I wasn't able to back up the cloud.

I stumbled on an app called CameraSync that will back up to a number of cloud services. I had it setup for my skydrive account, but told it to back up on wireless only, and I never brought the ipad anywhere there was wireless.

The cellular connection was HORRIBLE on the ipad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.