Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Do you understand manufacturing, and how costly it is to design, build and run a machine designed to do only a single task that you could teach a poor young Chinese kid to do in five minutes and pay him pennies on the hour to do it 12 hours a day?

There's a reason why China is a manufacturing economy and the grand majority of everything you own was made there.

Yep I understand it and yep, a machine could do it and cheaply.

The reason why China is a manufacturing economy is not only price, but their ability to turn solutions around in a day and they could have easily done one for this task.

----------

These look worth $20 not a penny more.

Oh lord you just opened yourself to lots of jokes. ;)

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Quick, check footnote to see when report was taken. Probably when 3GS was going into production. Haha.

Btw, think this product is cool.

I thought the socks were cool as well; great stocking stuffer (pun intended).

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Let me guess, a bunch of you still believe there is no "low-cost" iPhone coming out right?

If it's a $450 iPhone 4S replacement, then arguably it isn't a "low-cost" iPhone. We won't know the details until Apple releases them.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
As much as these leaks can be "fun" for many of us here I have to say I don't really appreciate all these trade secrets coming out like this. Leaking the plastic body is one thing but the multiple colors is just rude. Since the new iPhone hasn't been released or announced yet this gives Samsung a chance to copy. I liked it better when nobody knew what Apple was doing and only minimal "supposed leaks" were out on the web.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
The important thing: poor working conditions exist where iPhones are being manufactured and workers may be suffering.

What people actually care about: OMG THERE'S DEFINITELY A PLASTIC IPHONE COMING OUT.

:rolleyes:

I agree, but at the same time I also think that CLW could be more careful in how it releases information and writes it's reports. Releasing company secrets isn't always a good way to get co-operation... unless they did it intentionally, of course to get attention. And if they did, then they should expect that it could backfire and distract attention from their cause and towards the new product.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
If it is released at $99 with contract in the US, I fully expect Apple to advertise it as being "half price" from the classic iPhone.

A $100 price reduction constitutes a mere 17% markdown, assuming the iPhone was previously sold at $600. US consumers should preempt a false-marketing lawsuit.

It is suposed to be sold unlocked or free on contract.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
As much as these leaks can be "fun" for many of us here I have to say I don't really appreciate all these trade secrets coming out like this. Leaking the plastic body is one thing but the multiple colors is just rude. Since the new iPhone hasn't been released or announced yet this gives Samsung a chance to copy. I liked it better when nobody knew what Apple was doing and only minimal "supposed leaks" were out on the web.

It won't matter. Samsung would copy a month from now when it's announced.

The thing is Apple's cheap is still higher quality then Samsung best. Android phones besides the HTC all feel cheap..even the high end ones.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Let's hope that worker's identity is kept anonymous. There is a lot of pressure put on these poor employees.

Excuse me? Nobody has forced them to work. It's a job that they chose to do and they should appreciate having one. You make it sound like they've been sentenced to do it. It's hard enough finding a job that even pays minimum wage as it is and it's even hard to get hired at Walmart. Leaking trade secrets should be cause for termination of employment, not protecting someone's identity.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
... yep, a machine could do it and cheaply.

I think saying this precludes your "Yep, I understand manufacturing" claim.

It's rubbing paste on the back of a piece of plastic. Chances are, even in a developed Western country it would be worth considering paying a person to do it over getting a machine to. If it was bolting components onto a car chassis, I can see where machines can come into play.

Personally I think living in my less-than-deserved state of convenience and comfort as a member of the developed Western world, I should at the very least attempt to understand how the things I use and consume came to be. That's just me, though.

The thing is Apple's cheap is still higher quality then Samsung best. Android phones besides the HTC all feel cheap..even the high end ones.

Ever used an LG device? An Oppo device? Don't confuse lack of knowledge for non-existence.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Excuse me? Nobody has forced them to work. It's a job that they chose to do and they should appreciate having one. You make it sound like they've been sentenced to do it. It's hard enough finding a job that even pays minimum wage as it is and it's even hard to get hired at Walmart. Leaking trade secrets should be cause for termination of employment, not protecting someone's identity.

Who knows the context the worker released this information? This person might have thought it was confidential and that Pegatron sanctioned it.

Just because jobs are hard to find does not give employers license to abuse employees.

Apple is a corporation. One that most of us like. But an individual's life should be more important than even the most powerful corporation.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
I thought the socks were cool as well; great stocking stuffer (pun intended).

This reminds me of the around holiday product releases in which people go out of their way to say the new <insert very expensive device> would be great as a 'stocking stuffer', when in the real world, if a kid was lucky enough to get that as their only Christmas gift, it would make them beyond happy.

I.e., "the new rMBP is priced awesome at $2500! It's going to make a great stocking stuffer!" What's that person's version of a primary gift then? A Lexus? /rant

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I think saying this precludes your "Yep, I understand manufacturing" claim.

It's rubbing paste on the back of a piece of plastic. Chances are, even in a developed Western country it would be worth considering paying a person to do it over getting a machine to. If it was bolting components onto a car chassis, I can see where machines can come into play.

Personally I think living in my less-than-deserved state of convenience and comfort as a member of the developed Western world, I should at the very least attempt to understand how the things I use and consume came to be. That's just me, though.

I've seen enough of 'How it's Made' to know that putting a film on the back of these could be accomplished in the last stage with a rolling/cut mechanism vs having a person do it in much higher quantities. BTW, have you ever looked at the cost of the breakdown of parts that machines make for tech devices. Some are pennies.

Ever used an LG device? An Oppo device? Don't confuse lack of knowledge for non-existence.

LG Yep. Oppo nope. Don't confuse your arrogance for knowledge.

I don't know why everybody is always hating on the plastic. It's honestly a more suitable material for a phone. A device that is always being dropped, scratched, etc. Plus the fact that majority of people (based on personal observation) use a case anyway. And now you also get to throw your own personalized color, without needing to buy a case? Oh and also can make the device up to $100 cheaper? Where do I sign?

Acidsplat

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
I wonder if Samsung has a patent on colored plastic backings. Bet that would piss Apple off. /sarcasm

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Ever used an LG device?

Everyday.

622_20283_P.jpg

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Poor employees? You realize these people choose to work at Pegatron, right? It's not as if they're being held against their will. They can work there and if they don't like it, there are thousands of other factories in the region that are hiring. The moralizing by these labor rights groups is, on the one hand, admirable, but on the other, horribly ignorant of the realities of life in emerging economies.

WORK for LTTLE money in a fab or die starving on your little FARM! The person horribly ignorant is you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.