Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following its 2012 acquisition of mobile security firm AuthenTec, which specialized in fingerprint sensors, Apple has been rumored to be looking to incorporate its technology into its future products. Rumors have indicated that such a sensor could be a differentiating feature for Apple's upcoming iPhone 5S, although there has so far been little in the way of solid evidence that such a feature is in the works.

But as noted by Hamza Sood, Apple's developer release of iOS 7 beta 4 today has brought a significant clue that Apple is indeed planning to bring the technology to the iPhone later this year.

ios_7_fingerprint_bundle.jpg
The evidence arrives in the form of a new code bundle in the Accessibility portion of iOS 7. The bundle, named BiometricKitUI, contains text strings related to a tutorial on how to use a fingerprint sensor on an iPhone. The relevant strings include:
- Photo of a person holding an iPhone with their left hand while touching the Home button with their thumb
- Photo of a person holding an iPhone with their right hand while touching the Home button with their thumb
- A fingerprint that changes colour during the setup process.
- Recognition is %@ complete
Several reports have indicated that incorporating a fingerprint sensor into the iPhone 5S has proven difficult for Apple, potentially limiting launch supplies of the device as production bottlenecks are worked out.

Article Link: iOS 7 Beta 4 Code Points to Home Button Fingerprint Sensor for iPhone 5S

NickRichyRich

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2013
The button makes more sense to me and seems like it would be a hell of a lot easier than trying to do something like that through the screen. Either way that is really cool to see!

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I can't wait to see future rumors titled "Thumb Bandits Strike Again, iTunes Accounts Drained".
I've taken the liberty of Photoshopping the image that will most likely accompany these rumors:

nlOcb5f.png

Last edited:

Ay_Zimmy

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Interesting... But I thought it would be in the screen, not the button :(

No preference here, not disappointed, however through the screen would mean it was much more software based, and the sensor would then have to be built in the screen, and who knows if you dont cover enough of the sensor on the screen etc. Plus your already holding the phone so its probably easier just to place it on the home button

hydr

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009
If this is true, it´s big. If they can solve this problem, it will be the beginning of the end of all username/passwords.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
Seems this will be a iPhone 5 s hardware exclusive, so as to make people upgrade to the newest phone (as opposed to being a software feature).

Anyway I'm on an iPhone 4 so I'll be upgrading.

acidblue

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Roswell, GA (unfortunately)
Last edited:

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Neat - can't wait to see this feature - especially considering how robust and dependable their home button already is. /sarcasm

PhamQu

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
FL, USA
...And goodbye Otterbox Defenders. It was a good run.
(I prefer Ballistic's SG. Leaves screen and home button bare.)

shootingrubber

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2009
Yeah, because this has never been done before Samsung? Where have you been? A crappy Dell I had from almost 10 years ago had this. It's not new tech. Apple doesn't claim to have invented it either. You are aware they bought the company that makes these, aren't you? (http://www.phonearena.com/news/Appl...6-million-James-Bond-iPhone-to-follow_id32725)

I said Samsung copied Apple's iPhone. Not that Apple didn't copy the fingerprint sensor. Please read posts before commenting. Thanks.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
If this is true, it´s big. If they can solve this problem, it will be the beginning of the end of all username/passwords.

Really? Your fingerprints will be all over the phone, shouldn't be too difficult to lift them

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
So this means the home button in the 5S must be capacitive right?

They cant add a fingerprint sensor on the physical home button, so I guess there will be no more hardware button, instead replaced by a capacitive one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.