Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3starNsun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
japan
hi, im a new member here :) i just wanna ask about paralells desktop 8 for mac, coz there is a windows pc game that i wanna play on my mac. now my question is do i need windows os to install it to paralells desktop 8 or not.? if there is a tutorial about how to use paralells desktop 8 for mac it will help me a lot :)) thank you and please help

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
You need to purchase a copy of Windows to use with Parallels or boot camp. It can't be an upgrade version, it has to be a full install, with a product key. The Parallels web site has a lot of support information.

http://www.parallels.com/

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
To be honest if it is a 3D graphical PC game that you want to play, then you will be better off going the Bootcamp route and booting directly into Windows. A virtual machine (VM) like parallels will slow down the 3D frame rate. Also the Mac's memory will get split between the VM and you Mac. Like Parallels you will need a fully copy of Windows.

3starNsun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
japan
thank you mr.james for your advice i purchase the paralell desktop 8 already and now like you said i need a windows os.,so im going to buy it right now :) not the upgrade one and also i heard the word bootcamp,honestly speaking i dont know how to do it in my imac if there is a tutorial maybe i try. the windows pc games i wanna play are not 3D maybe you know this games , Sniper Ghost Warrior,Battle Field 2,Medal of Honor

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
thank you mr.james for your advice i purchase the paralell desktop 8 already and now like you said i need a windows os.,so im going to buy it right now :) not the upgrade one and also i heard the word bootcamp,honestly speaking i dont know how to do it in my imac if there is a tutorial maybe i try. the windows pc games i wanna play are not 3D maybe you know this games , Sniper Ghost Warrior,Battle Field 2,Medal of Honor

Hi Mr 3StarNsun, all of the games that you have listed are first person perspective games using 3D graphic environments and are not going to run well under a virtual machine like Parallels. These are the types of games you should really run directly in Windows, by using Bootcamp. Use this Apple Article to get you set up with Bootcamp.

mongohumor

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Update Windows XP Pro within Parallels won't work...

I downloaded a trial version of parallels 8 and everything went well except for while trying to get updates for Windows XP Pro, I get this message:

"Your computer's date and time appear to be out of sync with an update certificate"

Tried the 'fix' with no success. Changed time zone and that didn't work. Can't ask Parallels support because I didn't buy the product yet. Under the 17 day trial. Not good.

Bryan.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Your problem is not with Parallels, but Windows, as Microsoft has stopped supporting Windows XP. You have to manually download the latest service pack from Microsoft's website to get the autoupdates working again. At least that is what I needed to do when I reinstalled XP a couple of weeks ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.