Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I should be cresting the 5GB mark today (first time). What has been the experience with being throttled after that? Still good for Netflix, streaming music and internet or it will be crawling at turtle speed? I did a search but couldn't come up with anything specific. I asked an AT&T rep in the past but got a generic answer.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I heard its around 0.5 to 1mbps you will get throttled.
I think upload is faster though.

They reduce it that much or they reduce it to that much? I checked my data a little while ago. Currently just over 5200. Then did a few speed tests. The results were mostly in the mid 20 Mbps range. I usually see mid to high 40s. It was either poor reception of it's been reduced. I still have a week left so I'll have to check it from a location where I've seen high 40s before.

If they throttle it down to .5-1 Mbps, that's crazy! That's pretty much down to nothing!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
They reduce it that much or they reduce it to that much? I checked my data a little while ago. Currently just over 5200. Then did a few speed tests. The results were mostly in the mid 20 Mbps range. I usually see mid to high 40s. It was either poor reception of it's been reduced. I still have a week left so I'll have to check it from a location where I've seen high 40s before.

If they throttle it down to .5-1 Mbps, that's crazy! That's pretty much down to nothing!

Yes, its very slow. Its under 1mb or around that if you're lucky.
But they don't always throttle you right away.
Many have gone past the 5GB up to 7-8GB and never got a throttling text or their speeds reduced.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Do they notify you when or before it happens? This is the first time that I've gone this high. Other than this, I thought I might have gone past 4GB once.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Yes, they usually send you a text.
Looks like this below:

att_throttling_iphone_data.jpg

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
With LTE and so many data intensive apps like streaming video, I'd be surprised if 5-6GB is in the top 5%. It doesn't take to many Netflix programs to get to that.

I'm wondering if data plans will change in the next few years. Like the price for 5-10GB might come down and plans with 20+GB will be the norm.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Last month's data period ended on Wednesday. I had just under 7GB and no throttling message. That was by far the most that I've ever used in a month.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
If you install the hacked carrier file for the iPhone, it stops throttling. At least that is what happened with me, may not work for you.

Hacked IPCC or APN settings cannot undo the throttling.
No matter what settings or phone you use you will still be throttled till the billing cycle ends.
Its done on their end and no matter what you change or hack on your phones side wont make a difference.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Last month's data period ended on Wednesday. I had just under 7GB and no throttling message. That was by far the most that I've ever used in a month.

AT&T doesn't seem all that strict about their throttling policy lately. I hit 7.5GB in June and didn't get throttled. I probably couldn't get away with that every month though.

Eternal 28

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
I've just passed 5GB last week and I have 4 days left in the billing cycle and I'm not throttled on LTE. However, on Hspa I'm throttled to 50 kb/s. I guess At&t has taken a seat back on LTE Throttling. I wonder whats the LTE cap now? 10GB maybe?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I've just passed 5GB last week and I have 4 days left in the billing cycle and I'm not throttled on LTE. However, on Hspa I'm throttled to 50 kb/s. I guess At&t has taken a seat back on LTE Throttling. I wonder whats the LTE cap now? 10GB maybe?

According to them for LTE its 5GB and hspa+ its 3GB.
But seems like for LTE they let it go in some areas past the throttling limit.

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
When they start to throttle its not un-usable by any means but its still painfully slow. I usually get around 1.5 Mbps when I get the throttle message. Still glad I have my other T-Mobile phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.