Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrozenthedruid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Hey all, thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

So today I decided I wanted to stream, I play SC2, WoW, Civ5, and a bunch of other games, and I love the streaming community. I found this guide here, http://www.mikechambers.com/blog/2011/05/29/setting-up-desktop-streaming-on-mac-os-x/ and I followed it to a T.

My output stream is 1280x720, 24 FPS, bitrate is 1500, the stream is very good video quality, except the FPS ranged anywhere from 9-13 fps while I'm in a game (even lower probably). Not only that, but the stream is choppy (due to the FPS). The video LOOKS good, but its choppy and laggy.

In game for me, it's a bit laggy, not too much, but you can definitely tell the CPU is working its ass off while the Flash Media Live Encoder is streaming my desktop from camtwist. The settings in Camtwist match up with FMLE too, so I don't know what the problem is.

I even changed the resolution output settings to 360p and 480p and its the same amount of FPS and choppiness as it is when I try to stream 720p.

In a nut shell, the main issue is the stream is choppy and very LITTLE fps, yet my imac specs should be MORE than enough to handle this, and changing the resolution/fps in the FMLE settings had no effect on the stream.

here are the specs.

Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3
Memory 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5670 512 MB
Software OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)
My Internet download speed ranges from 25-30mbps, and my upload speed ranges from 8-9 mbps.

ALSO, a key thing to note is when I looked at Activity Monitor, Flash Media Live Encoder is using 180-190 , and CamTwist sits around 80. I know these are extremely high.

has anyone experienced this and know how to fix the stream quality/fps/choppyness and the intense CPU usage from these two programs?

My computer should be able to handle this don't you think?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Streaming requires quite some computer power and if you only manages to play in 10 FPS then you would never get a smooth stream at 24 fps.

The stream should never be higher than your in game FPS, as that will only make your machine use more power than necessary on the stream.

I guess you have set both res and FPS in in both CamTwist and FMLE?.

My advice is to reduce the stream quality.
RUn 20 FPS in 720p or something, most people rather look on a smooth 720p stream than a laggy 1080p one.

At the end of the day, I guess the i3 just aren't up to the task.

Phrozenthedruid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
I reduced the FPS and even went down to 480p and it's just as choppy. Which makes me want to believe it's something else, some setting or MAC setting I dont know about.

Makes me wish I would have just went with the i5 27' imac. Ugh.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I've had no issues with FMLE and CamTwist, but then again I have a 4.3GHz i5.
Does stream stutter with low end games that run smooth?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.