Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Along with the new iOS 7 beta 4 and iTunes 11 releases, Apple has also seeded version 5.4 of its Apple TV software to developers.

The third beta of the Apple TV software includes (via Schimanke.com) a function that allows users to purchase music from the iTunes store, a feature that was removed from earlier versions of the Apple TV software.

itunesmusic1.jpg
iTunes Music purchases can be made from the Music icon on the home screen of the Apple TV, which offers an iTunes Store-style interface.

itunesmusic2.jpg
The function is demonstrated in the video below:

Both individual songs and entire albums can be purchased and listened to using the new function on the Apple TV. The feature, along with iTunes Radio and a "Conference Room Mode" designed for business and academic settings, will be available for public use in the fall.

As noted in our post detailing the smaller changes in iOS 7, the Apple TV can also now be set up with an iPhone or an iPad running iOS 7.

The updated Apple TV software is expected to be available alongside iOS 7 later this year.

Article Link: Apple TV Beta Software Adds iTunes Music Purchases

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
Apple TV UI design doesn't fit to the cleaner look of iOS 7... Never been a big fan of all the blue and black *eugh* Apple! Now or...in a few years -.-

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Apple TV UI design doesn't fit to the cleaner look of iOS 7... Never been a big fan of all the blue and black *eugh* Apple! Now or...in a few years -.-

I'm sure they will get to it. Forstall hasn't been gone a year yet.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
There's an Apple TV Dev Program?? :confused:

----------

Funny, I'd have said pretty much the flip of that.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
Huh? What's that? The Watch ABC app is FINALLY available for the AppleTV?

Oh. No?? It's still mainly for people who want subscription services like Hulu and Netflix? Damn. Well, I'm going back to sleep. Let me know when the free (ad-supported) content arrives, or they give me an option to cut out the TV portion of my cable bill...

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
All I really want for my Apple TV... is a VLC app. That's all it really needs..

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Come on apple, give me Amazon Prime, VUDU and Flixster. At the very least one of them :mad:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Come on apple, give me Amazon Prime, VUDU and Flixster. At the very least one of them :mad:

considering Amazon Prime represents the competing media market, i doubt we'll see it.

ask yourself instead -- why dont Amazon or others enable their current iOS apps to use AirPlay beaming?

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
What I would like to see is "Songs in this show/Movie." You hear a song you like and can hold down the center button (same one to bring up the subtitles) and a list of movie scores come up!

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
Meh, I'm Chromecasting almost 15000 songs for $35 though Google Music with all my Android devices and Macs.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
considering Amazon Prime represents the competing media market, i doubt we'll see it.

ask yourself instead -- why dont Amazon or others enable their current iOS apps to use AirPlay beaming?

Actually, you can use Flixster, VUDU and Amazon Prime in all other iOS devices and they don't compete w/ the app store so your point is moot.
Airplay has other legal reasons that have nothing to do w/ 'competing media market'

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Huh? What's that? The Watch ABC app is FINALLY available for the AppleTV?

Oh. No?? It's still mainly for people who want subscription services like Hulu and Netflix? Damn. Well, I'm going back to sleep. Let me know when the free (ad-supported) content arrives, or they give me an option to cut out the TV portion of my cable bill...

Why would cable providers/TV stations want to give you free content?

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
OMG can somebody please tell me what freaking build number is 5.4 beta already... Damn! I've asked twice already.

anubis72

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2004
I'm sure they will get to it. Forstall hasn't been gone a year yet.

Did he have anything to do with the UI on the Apple TV? Anyway, yeah, it's overdue for a makeover. But all that (iOS7) white on the TV screen would sear my eyeballs...

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Did he have anything to do with the UI on the Apple TV? Anyway, yeah, it's overdue for a makeover. But all that (iOS7) white on the TV screen would sear my eyeballs...

The AppleTV shares the iOS 6 aesthetic. Glossiness, similar icons.

I imagine it would have a black look, like the Movies section of iTunes in iOS 7.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
Why would cable providers/TV stations want to give you free content?

I have a digital antenna connected to my HDTV in order to pick up on my local, digital stations. They broadcast programming, I watch the programming. When the Neilsen Ratings company calls my home and asks what I'm watching, I tell them the digital channel. The ratings for the channel go up, therefore the station can sell more advertising and sell it for a higher spot rate. Then the station can pay their bills.

As far as the cable companies go (and the cell providers as well) All I want is a wide, fast, un-throttled, unlimited, guaranteed data pipe. I'll handle everything else from there...

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
I am still hoping for the Apple TV App Store - and frankly considering: I have no idea what they are waiting - or fearing - for. This will catapult the Apple TV to the masses Think of it: Games, TV and streaming apps, light
multimedia and browsing, it's endless.

Oh, how I wish for a jailbreak of the Apple TV 3: And using VNC remote access to my Macbook.

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
What I would like to see is "Songs in this show/Movie." You hear a song you like and can hold down the center button (same one to bring up the subtitles) and a list of movie scores come up!
This is a brilliant idea, and is really of the type of clever innovation in the space of convenience that I'd expect from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.