Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
To those of us who still use the iPhone 4s, post here. I have tried them all, and that includes:

Samsung Galaxy S II (nice phone, felt cheap, perfect display)
Samsung Galaxy S III (nice phone for those like Android, very comfortable to use)
Samsung Galaxy Note (Very laggy, horrible to hold up to ear. Way too big for everyday use)
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Better to hold, but still way too big. Optimized TW software, but still Android)
Samsung Galaxy S4 (not usable out of the box due to the horrible lag. The phone is bloated to death by AT&T garbage.

iPhone 5 (Performance wise, it blows the 4S away) Couldn't stand the taller screen and problems the iPhone 5 had. Rattling caused by loose sleep/wake buttons, scuffs, dust under screen and in camera lens)

Then there is the iPhone 4s, which is the phone I always go back too. I just think 3.5" is perfect, though I wish Apple would make the iPhone about 4.3". Not a fan of the HSPA+ 14.4 modem inside, but it gets the job done. The camera still is right up there with other 2013 smartphones.

Most importantly, the best thing the iPhone 4S has is amazing build quality and feels very solid. So who else is going to continue using their iPhone 4S until the iPhone 5S/6 comes out this fall?

Android is really nice for those who have never used an iPhone. The Galaxy Smartphones have trouble doing basic stuff, like providing a nice browsing experieince, taking pictures fast, and headphone output. Iphone 4S still gets the best signal! :D

Signed,

iPhone 4S lover :p

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
iPhone 4S lover here as well :eek:

I've thought about keeping this baby forever, even just paying the $80 once the battery goes bad or the $149 for a new replacement if it ever goes kaput.

Sadly though, I think once the iPhone 5s and 5c are unveiled I think the 4s will become completely extinct :(

It's a sham as the build quality and pocket ability are unmatched by today's smartphones.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013

I've thought about keeping this baby forever, even just paying the $80 once the battery goes bad or the $149 for a new replacement if it ever goes kaput.

Sadly though, I think once the iPhone 5s and 5c are unveiled I think the 4s will become completely extinct :(

It's a sham as the build quality and pocket ability are unmatched by today's smartphones.

Exactly. The 4S has build quality. I always hated when people complained about the glass back. I've dropped mine many times and its fine. I believe Apple changed the beautiful glass back because so many people complained.

All the Galaxy smartphones creak if any pressure is applied to them.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
i still have my one year old 4S and find no reason to envy anyone who uses any other phone.

sometimes i even joke about people having phones larger than my TV when i see a friend pulling out of their pocket these new enormous devices.

we saw it with laptops and now we are seeing it with phones - initially everyone wanted the 15' or even the 17' laptops for their larger screens. then they realised how ridiculously impractical they were to be carrying around. nowadays people settle for the 11 or 13' screens. or even the 9.7' ipad or even smaller ipad mini.

i think apple had a point when they said that bigger is not always better. is the 4S 3.5' ideal? maybe. i dont have a problem with it, but i would definitely consider a 4' screen if it had more breadth and length - just adding to the length wouldnt make me go nuts about it.

but its the craftmanship of the 4S that blows the competition away. it does feel good feeling it in your pocket.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
sometimes i even joke about people having phones larger than my TV when i see a friend pulling out of their pocket these new enormous devices.

Me too! :p

My friend has a LG Optimus G Pro (5.5 inch screen) and the guy can barely reach the bottom controls one handed :eek:

4s is great for both pocketability and build quality.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I still don't get why Apple released 4" iPhone. It makes no sense. They tried to disguise it earlier with their ads, but in the end, they just contradicted themselves.

Steve Jobs mentioned way back in 2007 that the iPhone screen size was tested several hundred times and they arrived at the conclusion that 3.5" was where it should be.

In regards to this thread, I still use my 4S. Unluckily for me, the battery is getting to a point where daily usage kills it before the day is over, where as before it lasted me well into the night.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I've got an iPhone 4 and I'm posting in an iPhone 4S thread.

#thuglyf

But to reiterate the other points on here, the build quality on the 4 & 4S is exceptional. Really blows away the competition. Although Apple products in general may be expensive, you always know you'll get quality no matter what product you buy.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
My 4s rocks, although it's almost full. :eek: Who'd have thought that 32gb wouldn't be enough for a phone. I'm slightly jealous of the LTE speeds, but I don't want a huge screen. I have big hands and find the 4s screen to be a little tight, but I find that better than having to use 2 hands to use a phone. I'll keep my 4s until it's dead. My :apple:care + is due to end in Nov. anyway, so after that I'll be one bad fall away from the 5s. :D

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
What do you mean by dust under the screen with the iPhone 5? I think it's impossible, because the touchscreen, display and glass are all one unit.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Sticking to my 4s

It's funny, when Apple first released the 5 I would have done anything to get an unlocked version. But by the time they released it 6 weeks later, all flaws were already public, and I realized that I don't like the alumnium back, and really enjoy the glass sandwich design.

So I am sticking to my 4s (Broke my contract and now saving using Net10), at least for the next year or so, until the 6 is released.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
I really love my 4S and I'm not constantly thinking about upgrading. I have good 3G, I'm jail broken and that makes my phone perform better than a stock 4S.

I really enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I'm still using a 4S and love it. My biggest complaint is the weight though, using it while lying down and accidentally dropping it on your face isn't pleasant :p

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Wow, I suddenly feel proud and privileged to have a 4s!
(I'm only half joking. Reading these comments has reminded me of its strong points.)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

Well iOS 7 runs sweet in my 4s so I think we have another year tho I will get the 5s I will keep this baby

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Exactly. The 4S has build quality. I always hated when people complained about the glass back. I've dropped mine many times and its fine. I believe Apple changed the beautiful glass back because so many people complained.

I wish Apple would add a lightening connector and a 4G LTE radio to the 4S and call it a 4L. The "L" could stand for either Lightening connector or LTE, take your pick.

Pinkie Pie

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2012
Los Angeles
My upgrade period is coming soon ... And I'm gonna stick with my 4S for another year. This is the first time I haven't been desperate for a new phone at the end of the contract. :D the 5 is so skinny and light but I kind of prefer my fat, glass phone.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
I wish Apple would add a lightening connector and a 4G LTE radio to the 4S and call it a 4L. The "L" could stand for either Lightening connector or LTE, take your pick.

That would almost be re-doing the entire phone. Apple should have released it with at least a 21.6 H+ radio instead of the 14.4 radio. When the phone was released, all the current competing smartphones were shipping with HSPA+ 21 and LTE. They had no reason not to include H+ 21. Those on EV-DO networks were just out of luck anyway.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have tried them all, and that includes:

Samsung Galaxy S III (nice phone for those like Android, very comfortable to use)
Samsung Galaxy Note (Very laggy, horrible to hold up to ear. Way too big for everyday use)
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Better to hold, but still way too big. Optimized TW software, but still Android)
Samsung Galaxy S4 (not usable out of the box due to the horrible lag. The phone is bloated to death by AT&T garbage.

Looks to me you have tried a bunch of Samsung devices. That's nowhere near ALL. And no, I don't EXPECT you to have literally tried every single Android device known to man when making that claim, but at least branching out to another OEM would make sense. Or not, whatever makes you happy.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
To those of us who still use the iPhone 4s, post here. I have tried them all, and that includes:

Until you've owned a Nexus device, you haven't really used Android, Google's operating system. You've used devices that operated and looked the way Samsung intends them to look and operate.

But besides that... I think the 5 is better than the 4S in every way, and I don't miss the 4S at all.

shotta287

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2013
I totally agree, the 4S has to be my favourite smartphone to date, build quality and looks-wise it is unmatched.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.