Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Mosquitos inject an anticoagulant into your blood to keep the blood from clotting. It would be cool if scientists could develop an antianticoagulant to make mosquitos unable to stop blood clots.

So, with such a drug, if a mosquito bit me, my blood would be its last meal. It would be unable to reproduce.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Mosquitos inject an anticoagulant into your blood to keep the blood from clotting. It would be cool if scientists could develop an antianticoagulant to make mosquitos unable to stop blood clots.

So, with such a drug, if a mosquito bit me, my blood would be its last meal. It would be unable to reproduce.

I'd love it for this to come true.

DEATH TO MOSQUITOES!

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Also known as a coagulant. :cool:

But really now, that would not be the greatest mechanism to target if you're worried about mosquitoes...

How would you like stroke as a side effect?

This! Not worth the risk, considering a bite only last a few days at most and depending where you live, are rarely an issue.

Just use bug spray...:)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Any suggestions as to what may repel them? (I like the idea posted by the OP, but can see the drawbacks. Not sure anti-coalulent is the way to go, here).

Actually, mosquitoes and I have one of those ghastly asymmetrical relationships: they love me and I detest them.

Citronella works, - or is known to work - but some of the pharmaceutical products are so strong that they can have rather disturbing - not to mention lasting - side effects.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Any suggestions as to what may repel them? (I like the idea posted by the OP, but can see the drawbacks. Not sure anti-coalulent is the way to go, here).

Actually, mosquitoes and I have one of those ghastly asymmetrical relationships: they love me and I detest them.

Citronella works, - or is known to work - but some of the pharmaceutical products are so strong that they can have rather disturbing - not to mention lasting - side effects.

Hmmm, well you could always encase yourself in a fine mesh. :p

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Drink Tonic Water

Tonic water has quinine in it. A cure-all from Roman times. It was commonly used as an anti-malarial. It is believed by many (I'm making no claim of scientific fact) that quinine in your body repels mosquitos.

If nothing else it will give you an excuse to buy some gin or vodka, too.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hmmm, well you could always encase yourself in a fine mesh. :p

They would seek me out and send one another the mosquito equivalent of text messages that I was out and about irrespective of what I wore to escape. My problem is that I love sitting out relaxing in the balmy evenings you can find in countries where the climate is warm; unfortunately, (for me) this is exactly the same time as the winged menaces are airborne and prowling.

Actually, the splendid British company Al Fresco do a wonderful line in natural (citronella based) excellent repellants, but they were sold out of some of the products I really like when I was last home. ......

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
They would seek me out and send one another the mosquito equivalent of text messages that I was out and about irrespective of what I wore to escape. My problem is that I love sitting out relaxing in the balmy evenings you can find in countries where the climate is warm; unfortunately, (for me) this is exactly the same time as the winged menaces are airborne and prowling.

Actually, the splendid British company Al Fresco do a wonderful line in natural (citronella based) excellent repellants, but they were sold out of some of the products I really like when I was last home. ......

I find the best repellant is to find some unfortunate soul as yourself, for whose blood those little ladies have an insatiable appetite, and sit next to them all evening.

I suppose this still doesn't solve your problem though! :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This! Not worth the risk, considering a bite only last a few days at most and depending where you live, are rarely an issue.

Just use bug spray...:)

While I am not willing to take a drug that has a possible side effect of stroke, a bite on my leg lasts much longer than a few days. In the last 3 years, that's a year after I moved to the east coast, Each time I've been bitten only on my legs, the area around turns red. The last time the red area was measured by a doctor it was 3" by 7.5" long. There is no head to be seen so there is nothing to really release. I just have a horrible reaction to the bites. There is definitely some discomfort from itching to general pain when touched. Plus, it is unsightly to me but I also don't want to wear pants all summer.

It looks pretty much like this on various scales of size:
M3200265-Aggravated_mosquito_bite_on_a_patient_s_skin-SPL.jpg

So my point is, I would love to have something that I can always use and not worry about chemicals. I use Off! while mowing the lawn or doing yard work because it has deet and I will come right in and shower. For every other instance I use Burt's Bees natural repellant because this way, if my dog or cat rubs up against me (often) then they're not coming into contact with something that will indeed make them ill.

I read an article and I am considering funding a project called Kite Patch. They have more than surpassed their $75,000 goal, but it will be about 14 months before I see the product. Even still, they will first send patches to Uganda and if you back them, you send patches to Uganda first and the more you spend, you can get some for yourself. I would certainly like to have something like this on hand and since there is no chemical going into your body, from what I understand, you have no ill side effects and it is even safe for an infant.

/end wall-o-text :eek:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
How about a drug that counters the mosquito's anti-coagulant spit? Then they'd get frustrated and leave you alone? And because their spit has been neutralized, you should not get that itchy feeling when they do bite? ;)

I've got a Mosquito Magnet that runs on propane creating Co2, 24/7 and in combination of a juicy mosquito attracting fragrance sucks them in and traps. Because it supposed to catch so many mosquitoes, it's ment to disrupt the egg laying cycle in the immediate vicinity. Just have not gotten around to setting it up this summer. :eek: It uses about 1 standard grill size propane tank a month.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
My wife is a magnet for mosquito's. She uses this and it works well. Even if I am in close proximity to her when she wears it, keeps them away. Mosquito's only really bother me when they get in my face.

Attachments

• 51Ndp7XeASL.jpg
    51Ndp7XeASL.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 82

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I'd love it for this to come true.

DEATH TO MOSQUITOES!

Yeah! Except it would disrupt the food chain (Skeeters are food source of bats, fish, birds and so on). Oh and some other blood sucker will fill the void left by the mosquitoes genocide. My money is on the no-see-um (biting midges). I hate them more than skeeter, since you can exact divine retribution on a mosquito that has latched on to you. No dice with no-see-ums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Many great ideas to repel the horrors posted by fellow sufferers. Thanks for posting, one and all; I must look into some of these ideas. Apart from Al Fresco, I'm not aware of another natural (but potent) repellant.

Until recently, I actually took a pill daily, (which worked) - and had taken it for a few months - but was advised to discontinue taking it, as the side effects (including, bizarrely, a slight deterioration in the health - as opposed to the vision, which is always poor - of my eyes) were slight, but disturbingly measurable. Hmmm.

GoCubsGo, I feel your pain, and understand exactly what you are saying. As it happens, I get a similar completely over-the-top reaction to them, which takes weeks to fade (and is hot and itchy for days).

Indeed, I have been places where the airborne menaces decided that the best way to reach my legs was to take a short cut through cotton sports socks and thick cotton chinos......and managed to reach their goal, unnoticed by me (busily sampling quality local beverages in very good company on a balmy late summer evening in an ancient city centre, a place near where the local river, one of Europe's great waterways, had recently burst its banks, leading to an exponential explosion in the population of the winged menaces) until it was far, far too late. Been there, been there. I know exactly that of which you write.

Yeah! Except it would disrupt the food chain (Skeeters are food source of bats, fish, birds and so on). Oh and some other blood sucker will fill the void left by the mosquitoes genocide. My money is on the no-see-um (biting midges). I hate them more than skeeter, since you can exact divine retribution on a mosquito that has latched on to you. No dice with no-see-ums.

Hmmm. I think I may beg to differ. 'No-see-ums' are a nuisance of a different order altogether to 'hear-um-all-too-well' as the horrors bite, snigger and then proceed to emit a high pitched whine in your ear - what my ear translates as something along the lines of 'Ha! Got you! Hee-hee! And there's nothing you can do about it! Chortle!' in fluent mosquito (a language, you will note, that I am quite convinced I have mastered in recent decades).

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I have a similar relationship to mosquitoes as Scepticalscribe and GoCubsGo. I have a fear that my boys are headed for a similar fate. We can be outside for 5 minutes and come back in with 10 bites. Wife can be outside all day and nothing.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
My wife is a magnet for mosquito's. She uses this and it works well. Even if I am in close proximity to her when she wears it, keeps them away. Mosquito's only really bother me when they get in my face.

Never found those to work... Maybe its just the local brand of mosquitos though? I've heard good and bad but around here mostly bad. Of course something is better than nothing!

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Never found those to work... Maybe its just the local brand of mosquitos though? I've heard good and bad but around here mostly bad. Of course something is better than nothing!

My wife attest to them here. She gets bit and swells up crazy, so she needs all the help she can get. We only get mosquito,s for roughly 3 months a year, so maybe they don't have a chance to get immune to it. They not tough here either.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
My wife attest to them here. She gets bit and swells up crazy, so she needs all the help she can get. We only get mosquito,s for roughly 3 months a year, so maybe they don't have a chance to get immune to it. They not tough here either.
Yeah, we usually have 30-some percent DEET stuff on hand, its great. Living in an agricultural community with a canal based water system, a river, and a nearby reservoir doesn't help though :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I use Off by Johnson, a spray on version with a 15% Deet solution. After reading this article, a clip on application will be preferred. Hopefully it is effective.

His numerous studies in rats, two of them published last year, demonstrate that frequent and prolonged applications of DEET cause neurons to die in regions of the brain that control muscle movement, learning, memory and concentration. Rats treated with an average human dose of DEET – 40 milligrams per kilogram body weight – performed far worse than control rats when challenged with physical tasks requiring muscle control, strength and coordination.

Such effects are consistent with physical symptoms in humans reported in the medical literature, such as those experienced by some Gulf War veterans, said Abou-Donia.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I use Off by Johnson, a spray on version with a 15% Deet solution. After reading this article, a clip on application will be preferred. Hopefully it is effective.

This is exactly why I have tried to source natural - but extremely potent - mosquito repellant, based on ingredients such as citronella. They exist, but can be hard to obtain. Granted, Deet does work, but I must confess to some reservations for precisely the reasons you have posted.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

This is exactly why I have tried to source natural - but extremely potent - mosquito repellant, based on ingredients such as citronella. They exist, but can be hard to obtain. Granted, Deet does work, but I must confess to some reservations for precisely the reasons you have posted.

Not only is there evidence that DEET is a neurotoxin, but it seems mosquitoes are becoming resistant to it (surprise!).

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
science has all the answers.

not available yet, but Kite Patch is just finishing up crowd funding and should be moving toward production soon. i've seen lots of info/reviews and it seems right on the edge of 'to good to be true' but they have the science and research to back it up. could really change the world if they get it out there in big numbers.

can't wait, hate the little blood sucking creeps, and don't like getting chased inside!

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Put a foreign substance in your blood stream to stop a foreign substance from repeatedly getting in your blood stream. Makes sense...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.