Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morris

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2006
London, Europe
I'm a total noob in this area, but can someone explain me why they are still updating ML when they're releasing Mavericks in Oct/Nov? :confused:

I need my MBP for work so never upgrade OS X until it has reached a .2 at the very least. I didn't upgrade to Mountain Lion until 10.8.3 came out.

That means that I will use ML at least until next year and am glad that Apple is still working on updates to ML.

Artoo

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2012
Belgium
Thanks for all the replies,

I was obviously not thinking straight. So Lion is still receiving updates? Or will it become unsupported when Mavericks gets released?

Thanks again!

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
When can we expect this to be GM?

----------

Thanks for all the replies,

I was obviously not thinking straight. So Lion is still receiving updates? Or will it become unsupported when Mavericks gets released?

Thanks again!

It will not receive major updates i.e. 10.7.x but it will likely receive security updates for a while and minor bug fixes, as well as raw camera support and other non major updates.

redsoxunixgeek

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2006
Salt Lake City YOOTah
You wait for 10.x.2, test, and deploy. Unless it's Lion. Then you ignore it.

You obviously have no Idea how faculty at a Tier One University act. They buy it. You Support it. It's not their problem if you don't know how (which is why we have the Dev Account) to support it. They want support and they want it now! Hardware is an issue? Bah, just go buy whatever it takes to make it work.

Even harder when as soon as Apple releases Maverick machines will start coming with it. So there is the immediate need, plus our internal apps.

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
You obviously have no Idea how faculty at a Tier One University act. They buy it. You Support it. It's not their problem if you don't know how (which is why we have the Dev Account) to support it. They want support and they want it now! Hardware is an issue? Bah, just go buy whatever it takes to make it work.

Even harder when as soon as Apple releases Maverick machines will start coming with it. So there is the immediate need, plus our internal apps.

Since I've worked at two Universities, you're a little off. Also, if your faculties control their IT budget then that's hilarious; IT should control the IT budget, based on feedback from user requests balanced with what's practical. Working any other way isn't working at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.