Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Any tips?
I bought it with os x 10.7 and bought 10.8 from appstore using my id. Recovery partition was 10.7 before, now is 10.8 so if i wipe/reinstall from network (or whomever i sell it to) what version will be installed?

Also how can i properly wipe everything and return to clean factory settings?
Thx!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you installed Mountain Lion, then your recovery partition will be ML. If you only bought the OS, downloaded it but not installed it then your recovery partition will be Lion. Am I misunderstanding your question?

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
If you installed Mountain Lion, then your recovery partition will be ML. If you only bought the OS, downloaded it but not installed it then your recovery partition will be Lion. Am I misunderstanding your question?

i bought ML 10.8, downloaded and upgraded from 10.7, therefore now it's running 10.8.4 and recovery is also 10.8.4

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Any tips?
I bought it with os x 10.7 and bought 10.8 from appstore using my id. Recovery partition was 10.7 before, now is 10.8 so if i wipe/reinstall from network (or whomever i sell it to) what version will be installed?

Also how can i properly wipe everything and return to clean factory settings?
Thx!

Here is what you do to get back to a fresh Lion install.

Do a command-option-r boot (all three keys at once). That will give you the spinning globe screen and eventually Internet Recovery. Once the recovery screen comes up start Disk Uil and select the drive name itself at the top (like 1TB Seagate or whatever). Not Macintosh HD... but the drive name above it. Now erase the drive in Mac OS Extended format. Quit Disk Util then click install OS. It will take a while to DL the 4.7GB package and install it.

Once the install is done and the welcome screen comes up where you select language etc... do a command-q to quit the installer and shut down.

This way when the new owner turns on the machine the setup assistant will run.

This will get you back to Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.