Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
I jump back and forth between Chrome and Safari, though I mainly use Chrome. I find it to be much better. I just wish it could be set as the default

jlinear

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
Latest Itunes won't do a direct import. And the iCloud bookmark feature is not working for me. Like you, I'm a PC user who only has Safari for the PC bookmark-to-iPad sync.

Any suggestions?

I still export my Chrome bookmarks to a file. Then go into Safari and delete existing bookmarks (I use the bookmark bar). Then import into Safari the bookmark file I created in Chrome. Move them to the Safari bookmark bar. Now let itunes sync my PC Safari bookmarks to my iPad. Works fine for me. There is a checkmark to tick in itunes telling it you want to sync with Safari bookmarks.

Supacali

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
I heard iCab is good too (or was?), I haven't tested it since it's a paid app. I use Safari mostly but also have Mercury and Terra installed.

Creibold

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Like Chrome, Safari is also built on WebKit, however, it can use the Nitro JavScript engine, which is not available to outside apps. Therefore, Apple has made it so that technically no browser on iOS can be faster than Safari.

In other words, Safari will always be the fastest on iOS due to Apple's third party limitations on core services.

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
I've been using iCab on our iPad. 'Tis good.

I found Safari far too basic at the time - bookmarks, speed dial page, gestures ... all seemed clunky, never mind the no full screen option.

Since I use Opera on my Macbook i tried Opera mini etc, equally poor on the iPad, which is a shame.

I still prefer my laptop setup with Better Touch Tool gestures which work on both Safari and Opera -
only need to use touchpad to :-
Open new tab (tip-tap right)
Close tab (tip-tap left)
Open a link in a background tab (three finger tap on the link)
Go to tab to the left (Three finger swipe up)
Go to tab to the right (Three finger swipe down)
Go Back (Three finger swipe left)
Go forward (Three finger swipe right)
Open Opera 'Panels' which has the built in email client, notes etc (Four finger tap)

So if anyone knows an iPad browser or way to setup ipad to do all this... i'd like to know, as i'm going to be going over to iPad Mini I reckon :)
I'll have to spend a bit more time with iCab also, as it does support gestures also, just not got it fully sorted yet.

I tried Dolphin on my Nexus 7 ( a nearly very good device let down by it not being properly finished/designed - ridiculous wasted screen space with soft buttons which cannot auto hide.... unless you root, yadda, yadda, yadda... mercy), and like many who support gestures they do so in a silly manner - needing some swipe in of a widget like on the Grazer screenshot above... why?

When you use 2 fingers on a Macbook to scroll down or up, do you first need to press an option or function button to let it know you'd like to use a gesture now, please? Bizarre.

Seriously - on Dolphin, you swipe in the screen thing, touch the option to say you want to make a gesture, your screen is then blanked to allow you to do it, then and only then will it do its job.

The whole screen is a touchpad.... they've worked out 2 finger scrolling, what about allowing 3 finger taps etc as for Better Touch Tool - the tip-tap gestures are easy and don't cause the page to scroll anywhere etc.

Anyway....
rant over.

Rickypon

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2013
Browser better than safari

I like chrome browser than safari. I use chrome for all my searching on internet .Its much easier for me than safari.

Last edited:

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
I switch off between Chrome and Safari on my iPad. I think I use Safari more just because it is the default though.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I've bought tons of browsers; Mercury is the only one that I've used as my primary browser long term. Chrome is getting much better, but needs gestures to take over from Mercury.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.