Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you. Just one word.

Benjamin: Yes, sir.

Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?

Benjamin: Yes, I am.

Mr. McGuire: Plastics.

Benjamin: Exactly how do you mean?

just1ed

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2010
Wrap it up in a case and tada! It looks like an iPhone 5. Which also means, wrap your Aluminum clad iphone 5 in a plastic case and tada! It is a iPhone 5C.

As much as I don't want my phone to have scratches, I use a fabric sleeve instead of a case for that reason.

And iPhone 5C might just cannibalise iPhone 5S's sales.

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
I was in fact. But we have all moved on since then.

I dunno - other than the screen being larger and the phone thinner* - the ergonomics of my Samsung Omnia II and the Galaxy S4 are the same.

*Omnia II + rolling pin + heat/pressure = S4

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I think it will be Retina, however, it will probably be a slower processor, NON-LTE (HSPA+ only), and will lack a couple of other things.

Will it canibalise on 5s sales? of course, just like the mini did to the iPad, but should also open up doors to people who woulnd't even consider an iPhone otherwise, so the net result is positive

they won't make that mistake. I think it may have the same processor as the 5 and a worse camera though.

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
The whole point of manufacturing a plastic shell casing is so you won't have to buy a plastic cover. Of course, the profits companies make from producing plastic covers are so high that they try to convince any gullible person that they need one.:rolleyes:

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
What an awkward pose in that picture. The girl looks like she really has to pee and she's trying to hold it in.

Was beginning to thing something was wrong with my brain for thinking exactly this. Woman in "gotta go" pose, above iPhone cases - was wondering what they had to do with each other.

Also, WTF is up with the leather and chain chair behind her?

Perhaps the less I ask, the better off I am...

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
they won't make that mistake. I think it may have the same processor as the 5 and a worse camera though.

Actually I could see it being non-LTE. Hadn't really thought of this before the other poster's specualtion, but most of the developing markets where Apple hopes to sell this don't have LTE yet. And even in the US, if Apple sees pushing this downmarket, they need to have a solid differentiation with the 5S. They likely want to push this to places that don't rely on subsidies like MVNOs and don't lots of them not allow LTE speeds anyway? I would think it will have T-mobile's 1700 AWS HSPA+ band though so that it can at least get 3G (or faux 4G) in non-refarmed areas. All depends on the differential cost of having LTE. If it makes a big difference to the margin, they could easily get away with leaving it out.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
This looks pretty good. I don't think this case manufacturer is taking as much of a risk as past ones have. Remember the teardrop iPhone cases? :eek:

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
too bad they never made that tear drop iPhone that was rendered before the 4S was released

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
The whole point of manufacturing a plastic shell casing is so you won't have to buy a plastic cover. Of course, the profits companies make from producing plastic covers are so high that they try to convince any gullible person that they need one.:rolleyes:

Really? it surely couldn't be because plastic is cheaper, or that it can be manufactured in different colors, or different shapes, right? Apple is so concerned for us that they decided to use plastic just to save us the $19.95 for a new case...

Talk about ->:rolleyes:

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Why?

Why would you need to wrap plastic with more plastic? Of course since gorilla glass and metal phones I haven't felt the need to put plastic around a phone in a good long time.

Next you are going to buy covers to cover covers for plastic phones.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Was beginning to thing something was wrong with my brain for thinking exactly this. Woman in "gotta go" pose, above iPhone cases - was wondering what they had to do with each other.

Also, WTF is up with the leather and chain chair behind her?

Perhaps the less I ask, the better off I am...

I had the same thought about the chair. If you look closely, it looks like the seat is actually a tire (which would be open in the center). Mixed with the "gotta go" pose, maybe the chair is some Objet Trouvé toilet?

What all that has to do with iPhone cases, I have no clue. :confused::confused:

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Looking good !!

Many people consider a case a priority accessory in case they drop their phone. (If plastic case cracks, you replace it easily. If plastic phone cracks, you may be without a phone or at minimum scratch up your expensive purchase.) This case actually classes up the plastic case (though covering the color).

Transparent cases are not what they seem, as debris eventually gets between the phone and cover with unsightly results.

SpinThis!

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Inside the Machine (Green Bay, WI)
Actually I could see it being non-LTE.
I could too but Carriers want customers to use data. LTE is becoming a standard—not having it will be like not having Bluetooth or GPS. Apple supports their phones for 2 years with the 3rd year being a crapshoot on support, so the question really is: what's still going to be somewhat relevant 2 years from now?

I think a lot of people here are forgetting the bigger picture: Apple is still going to continue to sell the (now) current iPhone 5 but at a lower price. So Apple's lineup is going to look like this:

iPhone 5S ($199)
iPhone 5 ($99)
iPhone C ($49? or free)

I would bet they're going to drop the 5 designation on the C model since it would be confusing with the (now) current model. What's to differentiate between the 5 and 5C then in a consumer's mind? I think this would also allow Apple to use whatever specs they want—not using a number frees Apple from whatever confines the previous models had.

iPhone C is going to be very similar to the 4S, same camera, different case but possibly having much of same innards as the iPhone 5. I think Apple would love to get away from supporting the 3.5" retina display and move all of them to 4" but I don't think it'll happen yet on this interation and the top 2 models will have the same screen with lower priced model keeping the smaller screen. The C model won't have Siri either.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.