Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Hey everyone, if I want to swap out my 1TB drive for a 2TB drive, the stock drive that is in there now is a 1TB WD Caviar Black 7200rpm, so would the WD 2TB Caviar Black WD2002FAEX be a good one to buy?

And I read that the 2011 iMac's with thunderbolt drives are tricky to change the the HD's, and that there's a custom 7 pin connection and apple is using a non standard temperature sensor cable, etc.. are there any issues like this with the 2010 model? Ie temperature control or fan speed?

Last edited:

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Yes, the 2010 iMacs have a temp sensor in the HD just like the 2011's with a 7 pin connector.

But why bother opening up the machine just for more storage? It'd be a lot easier to just go external. If you're going to go through the hassle of opening it, I'd replace your current HD with a small SSD for the OS, apps and your frequently used data, then go external for mass storage using FireWire or thunderbolt if you access it a lot.

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Yes, the 2010 iMacs have a temp sensor in the HD just like the 2011's with a 7 pin connector.

But why bother opening up the machine just for more storage? It'd be a lot easier to just go external. If you're going to go through the hassle of opening it, I'd replace your current HD with a small SSD for the OS, apps and your frequently used data, then go external for mass storage using FireWire or thunderbolt if you access it a lot.

i have all my movies and music on an external and that works great, but the bulk of my data is photos, 700gb. i tried those on usb and it wasn't fast enough for loading, photoshop, etc.. i didn't want to invest in a firewire enclosure if it wasn't going to do the trick and don't have thunderbolt.

what about the OWC SSD kit where split the sata connector and add an SSD and stuff it in the imac where there's some empty space? i saw their youtube tutorial, any downside to this?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Hey everyone, if I want to swap out my 1TB drive for a 2TB drive, the stock drive that is in there now is a 1TB WD Caviar Black 7200rpm, so would the WD 2TB Caviar Black WD2002FAEX be a good one to buy?

And I read that the 2011 iMac's with thunderbolt drives are tricky to change the the HD's, and that there's a custom 7 pin connection and apple is using a non standard temperature sensor cable, etc.. are there any issues like this with the 2010 model? Ie temperature control or fan speed?
I believe the 2010 iMacs had a 2 TB option, you could go and buy a 2TB replacement drive for it. This will probably cost more however.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
I know alot of Seagate and Hitachi drives seem to work, so if you have a hitachi or seagate drive currently, get a similar model but obviously 2TB.
I know the seagate DM2001 (iirc) should work fine.
otherwise you can get the cable adapter for pretty cheap on ebay, ifixit or other places.

i attached an image with part numbers for the cable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-01 at 10.19.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-01 at 10.19.35 AM.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 79

filipinowise

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2013
Hello, I have an 2011 A1311 21.5", is there a HDD temp sensor? I didn't see it like the sensor wire like the 2010 iMac A1311 models that went to the hdd. I only see a ODD_Temp wire that runs/grounded to he super-drive. I've upgraded to a 1TB Seagate Hdd and the fan is running a bit loud. Thanks for you help and input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.