Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Felicide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
I cannot use data on my phone, even though I have a data package.

I have iPhone 3GS on ATT
swx1k8.png

Any suggestions? Sorry I had to repost this, I'm desperate for help. Thanks! :)

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
I just had the same issue on a sprint iPhone 4s.

Sprint had me try few different things but this worked:

go to settings > reset > erase all content and settings

Make sure you have a good backup, so you can restore once your phone gets re-activated.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA

Make sure you have a good backup, so you can restore once your phone gets re-activated.

If your phone has been jailbroken. Don't ever use "erase all content and settings" button.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

WTF?
His carrer data is not working and you're telling him to do an erase all?
Dont listen to that OP.
Even if its not JB you dont just do an erase all to fix your carrier data issues:rolleyes:
That will delete everything off his phone.
Its like he's asking for help on how to fix a window and you're telling him to destroy the whole house and rebuilt it in order to correct a minor issue.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
WTF?
Dont listen to that OP.
Even if its not JB you dont just do an erase all to fix your carrier data issues:rolleyes:
Its like he's asking for help on how to fix a window and you're telling him to destroy the whole house and rebuilt it in order to correct a minor issue.

I over look this. His carrier probably told him to "reset all network setting" and not all contents... :D

Felicide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
I'm still getting the same message (I did what the first person said, then saw to reset network settings, did that, still no luck). Is it the data package I have, or what's up?

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
WTF?
Dont listen to that OP.

Assumption is the devil!

I simply shared what fixed my issue when I received the same error message.

Besides that, as I said, we tried a few things, but the only thing that worked was a erase all settings and content.

First we tried a reboot. no dice

Second we tried re-provisioning data initied via iPhone handset. no dice

Third we tried reset network settings. No dice. CSR took down my number and called back 30 mins later.

Fourth thing I did was erase all contents and settings. This worked. It forced my phone to re-activate on my carrier's network, and voila my data started working.

Erasing all of the data was a non-issue because apple has a wonderful backup/restore system.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
The OP is on AT&T.
What worked or didnt work for you on Sprint is not even close to what might work on his.
And there's tons of other things he should troubleshoot first before erasing his whole iphone.
That should be the last resort and IMO its unnecessary.

Felicide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
The OP is on AT&T.
What worked or didnt work for you on Sprint is not even close to what might work on his.
And there's tons of other things he should troubleshoot first before erasing his whole iphone.

and the things I should have done first areeeee........?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
and the things I should have done first areeeee........?

Make sure you data toggle in settings is on, also make sure the enable 3G is on.
Do a reset network settings. Try calling AT&T to make sure your account settings are enabled correctly on their end.
Have the AT&T rep troubleshoot the problem to make sure the APN settings on your phone and carrier settings are correct.

Felicide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Make sure you data toggle in settings is on, also make sure the enable 3G is on.
Do a reset network settings. Try calling AT&T to make sure your account settings are enabled correctly on their end.
Have the AT&T rep troubleshoot the problem to make sure the APN settings on your phone and carrier settings are correct.

AT&T will assist me? Considering I'm using a gophone sim in an iphone, won't they try and change everything?

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
The OP is on AT&T.

There are a few threads with restoring the phone (which I did) was part of the troubleshooting as a fix for this problem, CDMA or gsm carrier.

And again I was simply sharing.

http://www.tipb.com/2011/01/12/iphone-bug-connect-cellular-data-network/

Felicide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Has data ever worked for you, or is this new issue?

Never worked.

Oh but I do have a data package, and it must be working because mms didn't work until I added a data package, and mms always works fine now, but only when I'm on wifi. So I'm so lost and I don't know.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Never worked.

Oh but I do have a data package, and it must be working because mms didn't work until I added a data package, and mms always works fine now, but only when I'm on wifi. So I'm so lost and I don't know.

Did you change the APN info for it?

Here are instructions I pulled

Jailbreak the newly activated iPhone
Connect your iPhone to a WiFi network so that you can access the web
From the iPhone, open Safari and visit http://unlockit.co.nz and tap “Continue”
Choose “Custom APN” and select AT&T as your carrier
Tap on “Create Profile” to download and install the new custom APN

imom

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
I have the very same issue with a new 4S.

But this is the really puzzling part - if I put my friend's SIM card in my phone, the 3G works fine. And if I put my SIM card in his phone, the 3G works there too. WTF!

I've tried everything short of erasing all contents. Perhaps I should try that now.

imom

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
For what it's worth, a complete restore of the phone did NOT fix the issue.

Q8i-79

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2012

Dear SportLover

before reading your post i had done whats you're suggesting. it worked like a charm. However, when i restored from my back up (which is from my previous IPHONE 4 data), the problem came back.

did you restore from a back up for an IPHONE 4s ? or was it a previous IPHONE?

imom

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
My issue is now resolved. What happened was that the backup from my old phone included an incorrect APN setting, and of course there is no way with iOS5 to see this faulty setting or to edit it.

I would recommend removing all APN settings BEFORE you back up your old phone, then these settings won't be transferred to the new phone.

This is really stupid thinking on the part of Apple.

iPhone helper

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
Ok I think all of you got it all wrong it's probably
The APN settings if you can go to settings<general<cellular and go down and see apn settings and change it if this doesn't work.do this first get wifi from somewhere then
Go to https://www.unlockit.co.nz then choose country or region then you see what carrier your on like for example I on h20 wireless so I chose that option on Carrier box and create apn
Then it will take you to another page and then take you to settings you will see a profile and tap install and confirm installation

aniketmalshe

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2013
This worked for me too

Originally Posted by SporkLover

Jailbreak the newly activated iPhone
Connect your iPhone to a WiFi network so that you can access the web
From the iPhone, open Safari and visit http://unlockit.co.nz and tap “Continue”
Choose “Custom APN” and select AT&T as your carrier
Tap on “Create Profile” to download and install the new custom APN

Thanks SparkLover!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.