Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeff5886

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
This is from my iphone so bare with me. My local Verizon store just received their shipment of the OtterBox defender for the new iPhone as well as several other cases. I Played around with three or four of them but my original intention was to buy the OtterBox for military use.

The new defender for the iPhone five is nothing at all like your original OtterBox. The rubber that previously went around the OtterBox plastic shell used to turn me off from OtterBox as it was very soft. This new OtterBox is extremely hard. The rubber as well as the plastic shell is extremely tight and seems very very durable. I am thoroughly impressed with OtterBox fixing this discrepancy the clip feels very SecureWare and the new design of the defender really feels like it will protect my iPhone. If you hated the way that the original otter boxes robber was soft and flimsy, you will not have that problem at all with the new OtterBox defender. I was also able to receive my discount on the defender making it 37.50+ tax. Sorry for the quick review but I'm on my iPhone in my car as we speak.

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
i got one from amazon- I agree- the rubber is much different than previous defenders- I like it much better- i hope that it keeps its form- while the clip is less bulky for sure its still a fairly large set-up- its also nice the flap door on the bottom is more secure than the older ones

jester0723

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Virginia
+1 It's true. Don't skip out on the Defender because your old one for the 4S or the 4 broke. They fixed it. Doesn't even seem that thick.

Sputnek

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Florida - Ohio
Silly question, and really embarrassing, but how do I open up my otterbox case? I just bought my case today from Verizon Wireless, and I don't want to manhandle it and take off the outer protection.

Thanks in advance.:eek:

----------

Never mind :eek::p. If I open I peel off the rubber going downwards up it comes off.

Thanks anyways.

Raphael96

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Agreed.

I just got mine from Amazon today and it seems like a much sturdier case. I'll be interested to see how it functions when I load it up on friday. :)

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
So it's not the soft silicone type of rubber anymore? Can you stick it in a pocket and get it out without pulling the pocket inside out and covering the case in pocket lint?

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I bought my defender for iphone 5 last night and I am thoroughly impressed with the quality and clarity of the built in screen protector. It's smooth and truly invisible. The whole feel of the case is substantial to me and I like the firm squishy feeling of the sides which aid in my grip. I really don't have any complaints and feel that this case does its job of providing me with peace of mind in the event if dropping my phone. Clip is much better than the previous iPhone 4 version too. After using this case, in willing to sacrifice the "thinness" for pretty much total protection. If lifeproof fre had this screen protector I bet a lot of people would've kept their cases and stuck it out with the horrible speaker quality.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I bought my defender for iphone 5 last night and I am thoroughly impressed with the quality and clarity of the built in screen protector. It's smooth and truly invisible. The whole feel of the case is substantial to me and I like the firm squishy feeling of the sides which aid in my grip. I really don't have any complaints and feel that this case does its job of providing me with peace of mind in the event if dropping my phone. Clip is much better than the previous iPhone 4 version too. After using this case, in willing to sacrifice the "thinness" for pretty much total protection. If lifeproof fre had this screen protector I bet a lot of people would've kept their cases and stuck it out with the horrible speaker quality.

I agree, you need to take the phone out every week or so and clean as they let dust in, my only gripe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.