Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I wouldn't say they're getting owned by Nokia but I agree. Nokia came out with some wonderfully designed phones, only be hamstrung by the OS and also the volume of apps available.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Well if the 1020 would have been an Android device, I would have been pretty damned tempted.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
I don't really like the Nokia designs. I guess it's the rectangle look, that also bothers me when I see it on Sony, but that's just my opinion. (Maybe I'm just too much into apple and their rounded corners :D )

I think it's a good idea to stick with Windows, not making the lumia yet another android phone.

The problem is, that Nokia Phones are just not cool, being seen as not state of the art any more, even if it's not true.. It's a marketing thing, not really a development one. As hard as it might look to return to the phone market, it is the easiest one to step into, as there is no other type of device being bought more frequent.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
OP have you used WP8? And do we still say owned?
MS has their OS on the Luminas and depending upon contracts and all that, I wonder if they're stuck with MS. It seems they could move the Lumina over to the Android platform and give people the best of both worlds. That Lumina is the only phone (prior to the HTC One) that really tempted me. If it were on Android, I think I would have already switched.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I love the 920 but there were a few apps I need for school and work that weren't available on WP8 and there are no real signs that they will be. I used the 920 for a few months and aside from app selection and a few little things I really loved the phone.

If Nokia starts making Android phones it's a no brainer for me. They have always been my favorite phone manufacturer when it comes to hardware.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Thanks for giving me another reason not to buy a Windows Phone. I don't follow their news but didn't know there were so few updates.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
It's a shame Microsoft is being so lazy maintaining their own OS. Same old Microsoft I guess, develop something then half-ass it. At least they used to wait until they actually had a decent marketshare before they got to that stage :rolleyes:

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
MS should be doing everything they can to entice developers to embrace WP8. That's what will help the platform be all it can be. It requires little input from MS, expands the appeal of the OS, and makes MS more money in the long run.

It's a great OS in many ways, with a few tweaks and a better app store it would be fantastic. I don't get anything about the way MS has played this one.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Slow updates is a the main reason I'm fixing to get a note 2 or an S4 to replace the 8X to dropped last week. I'm ok with the app selection since the platform is so small, but I am very frustrated with the rate at which new features are being added.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Microsoft is well on their way to getting owned by the very industry they helped to create. Sad, really, to see how the once-mighty has fallen.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
MS should be doing everything they can to entice developers to embrace WP8. That's what will help the platform be all it can be. It requires little input from MS, expands the appeal of the OS, and makes MS more money in the long run.

They've been paying devs to stick official apps on WP for awhile - anywhere from 60K to 600K. Apps like Yelp and Foursquare were ported to WP8 because they were subsidized. MS also develops a lot of the major placeholder apps in-house - FB, GroupMe, YouTube, etc.

But yeah the platform still has growing pains

Microsoft is well on their way to getting owned by the very industry they helped to create. Sad, really, to see how the once-mighty has fallen.

They got owned a long time ago when their marketshare evaporated. They've been in recovery mode the last few years. US share is stagnant but they're rising in Europe.

Anyway, Nokia is in a good position regardless. With WP8, they monopolize the platform, and it's slowly growing and should eventually help reverse their operating loss. If they were on Android, they would basically be in the same spot HTC is, getting Samsung's leftovers

Last edited:

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I am going to sell my iPhone 5 64gb and get a lumina 1020 full price and switch to AT&T(so I don't have to use the subsidy in, will wait for iPhone 5s) so the lumina will be free pretty much.

Anyway...how is office on the thing? From the little I saw of it it looks great. I a everything big and easy to read? The store demos I have looked a that've office disable for real world use

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I don't think what little MS has done with the apps is worth defending. Yes they did create their own facebook app, and it sucks worse than the iOS app ever did. Their YouTube app isn't great, and there are third party apps that work surprisingly well. MS's own Skype app is less than adequate and they own that whole deal now. Given, the way they implement skype being signed in all the time is impressive, but the interface for the app is still crap.

In order for WP8 to grow, it needs Google's support. And I don't see that happening.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Maybe MSFT should actually try and make their software more feature rich and enticing to consumers and developers.

Windows Phone looks great and runs wonderfully but they are seriously gimping the software with a lack of features and killer apps.

Also MSFT is the largest software company in the world. They should act like it and actually make some damn software for Windows Phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.