Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/new-kindle-fire-hds-might-house-snapdragon-800-wallop-current-models-1169816
As for the high-def crowd, the Kindle Fire HD 7" replacement is said to come with a 1920 x 1200 screen and sport a new design (we already knew that), but now we're also hearing that it will feature a quad-core Snapdragon 800 SoC, complete with four Krait 400 CPUs and Adreno 330 graphics.
Prototypes of the upcoming 7-inch HD are apparently hitting around 2GHz. For those keeping score at home, the new Nexus 7 runs a 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro SoC, comprised of a quad-core Krait CPU and solo core Adreno 320 GPU.
Scorching

RAM is said to see a boost to 2GB (up from 1GB), and it will supposedly ship in 16GB, 32GB and 64GB variants.
Current tester models of the new 7-inch HD are running an old OS - Android 4.2.2 - but with heavy Amazon touches. Wi-Fi, a front-facing camera and cellular connection capacity round out the tab's potential specs.
The 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HD, meanwhile, might come with a resolution-busting 2560 x 1600 display. It too will house a Snapdragon 800 and 2GB of RAM.

All the competitors propose or will propose a FullHD screen with a high end SOC, meanwhile Apple recycle it's GPU/SOC and delivers a 1024*768 resolution for the iPad Mini...
No wonder why Android continues to increase its shares on the tablets markets ( http://www.maximumpc.com/numbers_android_king_tablet_market2013 ), Apple is too busy suing Samsung or others....

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Amazon has a knack for taking perfectly good specs and bringing a tablet to it's knees. I purchased the 1st and 2nd gen kindle fires and what a complete disappointment. The 7" KF has the auto brightness where it's not supported by Amazon so it doesn't work correctly. The Silk web browser is a joke on their tablets.

The UI is a lag fest througout. The only reason to ever buy another KF-HD is if the one you have broke or you are heavily invested in Amazon.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Amazon has a knack for taking perfectly good specs and bringing a tablet to it's knees. I purchased the 1st and 2nd gen kindle fires and what a complete disappointment. The 7" KF has the auto brightness where it's not supported by Amazon so it doesn't work correctly. The Silk web browser is a joke on their tablets.

The UI is a lag fest througout. The only reason to ever buy another KF-HD is if the one you have broke or you are heavily invested in Amazon.

Yep. Even using the demo units in Waterstones I noticed the same thing on every single one. They all lagged like mad. And getting the grey chessboard on the browser was so so easy. I hadn't seen that since I had an iPhone 3G for crying out loud!

Amazon does a lot well but so far tablets are just not one of those things. Hopefully they address the issues in the next refresh.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
In just one opening post & two paragraphs.....

You turn an otherwise interesting article for the forthcoming Kindle Fire HD (and potentially interesting thread) into yet another "look Ma! I can piss on apple" , "I'm so clever & witty" , "I can piss this high !!!" thread :rolleyes::rolleyes:

For shame !

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Yep. Even using the demo units in Waterstones I noticed the same thing on every single one. They all lagged like mad. And getting the grey chessboard on the browser was so so easy. I hadn't seen that since I had an iPhone 3G for crying out loud!

Amazon does a lot well but so far tablets are just not one of those things. Hopefully they address the issues in the next refresh.
I own iPad's and various Android tablets. The Kindle Fire series is by FAR the worst of the Android bunch. Yeah and I forgot about the Silk cheeseboard, LOL.

That's by far the least of it's problems. How about the infamous Silk has stopped responding, please close and restart this application?

The best thing about the Kindle Fire HD is the FAOTD and if you are a Prime member like me all the free TV Shows and Movies that are included with your membership. And the Dolby audio is just insane when watching movies.

These types of devices just make the iPad look all the more better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.