Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramin85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Mountain Lion 10.8.4 iMac mid 2011.

Since this morning, this weird thing happened, Activity Monitor shows Finder CPU usage above 50% and memory above 11GB (on a 12GB system) which leaves me with 10-100MB free memory. Last thing I did last night was to download DeCloner to remove my duplicated files, the search took a few hours so I went to sleep, this morning everything was fine, until about 1 hour after working on my mac this happened.

I've tried uninstalling DeCloner, VisualBox which I installed recently. I also tried restarting Finder, restarting the system, disabling Spotlight and its indexing, no luck.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 2.14.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 2.14.27 PM.png
    166.6 KB · Views: 122

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Inactive memory is similar to free memory. No cause for concern there, except your page outs are rather high. Not sure why the CPU would be so high when idle, unless the download included something running in the background

ramin85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
It shows as inactive memory, but the problem is that I can't do ANYTHING. the computer is very very slow.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
It shows as inactive memory, but the problem is that I can't do ANYTHING. the computer is very very slow.

When rebooting the computer, do you have the 'Reopen windows when logging back in' option disabled?

If this doesn't fix the issue after rebooting, type in 'purge' in Terminal.

EDIT: Also, your page outs are ridiculously high. Looks like a memory leak of some sort. You don't have 'Mackeeper' or anything installed, do you ...?

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
Mountain Lion 10.8.4 iMac mid 2011.

Since this morning, this weird thing happened, Activity Monitor shows Finder CPU usage above 50% and memory above 11GB (on a 12GB system) which leaves me with 10-100MB free memory. Last thing I did last night was to download DeCloner to remove my duplicated files, the search took a few hours so I went to sleep, this morning everything was fine, until about 1 hour after working on my mac this happened.

I've tried uninstalling DeCloner, VisualBox which I installed recently. I also tried restarting Finder, restarting the system, disabling Spotlight and its indexing, no luck.

Can you post a screen shot of this immediately after a system reboot?

ramin85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
No,I don't have Mackeeper. I don't have anything on startup except wacom driver, dropbox and disklens.

I also tried purging memory, but soon as it finishes restoring memory it goes back to 10GB within 1-2 minutes.

here's the screenshot after reboot with all processes (from the moment i clicked spotlight to type activity monitor and capture screen it took me easy 3 minutes):

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 10.02.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 10.02.47 AM.png
    278.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

ramin85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
UPDATE: Back to normal for now.

I disconnected my 2TB external hard drive (The one DeCloner was scanning for duplicated files). and everything seems to be normal for now. the screenshot is attached below.

About the 2TB hdd: I hooked it to a macbook pro and it works perfectly, I can browser through the files without any problems.

BUT, eventually I need to connect the hard drive to the iMac. and I NEED to delete duplicated files as I'm sure I have ~200GB worth of space occupied by those files. (if you could suggest a good software.)

I'm open to any suggestions to make the iMac forget about the 2TB altogether and doesn't try to do whatever it is trying to do with it that slows it down once i plug it in.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 10.37.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 10.37.51 AM.png
    278.9 KB · Views: 59
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.