Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewinelake

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008
There are clearly some errors in those tables (eg. most recent iPhone 4S sales) and so I suspect the Mac Pro figures may be wrong. However, I don't think the Mac mini is a very attractive proposition cost-wise. It's almost as though the screen in an iMac is free.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
It's funny because I've always said it and so do most of my colleagues: the iphone 5 is nice but the 4s is better, just feels more solid and has perfect weight. I went on holiday and had to take some pics from a boat in Greece and the 4s felt great to snap from but the 5 felt like I could drop it. The camera is better on the 5 of course and noticeably so. I bought the 5 for my gf but I would not buy it for myself but would definitely buy a revamped 4s body in future. Shame about the buzzing/interference sound when you make a phone call, they never fixed that and there are thousands of posts about it.

Very happy with my Ipad2, had been the only Apple hardware that has not had any issue other than the retina mbp and I have been through quite a few of their devices.

What carrier are you on? I've never experienced that issue with mine.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
You do know how to read right? The poster you were replying to was talking about the 13" cMBP. You know, reading comprehension stuff.

He was, but he wondered about the number of "MacBook Pros" sold. In that group, there are computers that have a retina screens, which in turn is one of the reasons why more MBPs than MBAs are sold, and that was what he mainly argued about.

The numbers of 13" MBA vs 13" cMBP vs. 13" rMBP would allow for completely different conclusions. Do we have them? No.

For all I know, zero 13" rMBPs, zero 13" cMBPs and zero 15" cMBPs were sold, while 58% of all portable Mac sales were 15" rMBPs.

Last edited:

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
why would they want to replace their best selling laptop with one that sold the least?

Because more people would buy the 15" MBP instead making them more money at the higher ASP. The 13" MBA would simply take over the "best selling laptop" mantle.

What's the point in having 2 13" models essentially competing with each other. Might as well just scrap the MBA altogether in that case.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I'm surprised the Mac Pro has been out-selling the Mac Mini

Surveys on consumer electronics are notoriously inaccurate due to people having no idea what they have. I recall in the early days of HD reading surveys that grossly overestimated HD penetration.

I'd venture to say a fair number of those Mac Pros are actually MacBook Pros. Look at how many people who've bought a laptop don't know if it's an Air or a Pro.

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
This is from working at best buy for 4 months. The 13in macbook pros always outsold any other mac available. The reason for this is because most people I talked to, after hearing the differences, always chose the pro as it is upgradeable. A lot of people also liked the cd drive as well. People still buy cd's believe it or not.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I don't understand.

The air is faster, more reliable and lighter. It has a better battery life and a higher resolution display. External storage is cheap, and external cd drives do the job just fine. There are very few valid reasons to buy a 13" MBP

That is a strange way to view things. I doubt the dvd drive had much to do with this. For anyone that uses one even semi regularly, they are likely to go for the built in one. The only downside is that Apple uses the crappy slot loading ones. The Air has a higher resolution display, yet it's still inferior. Viewing angles and everything else are inferior. The resolution isn't much higher. Unless you compare side by side you won't notice the difference. External storage once again is one of those sticking points. You need backups. They are external, yet tying yourself to a desk too much defeats the point of a notebook.

At its current state, the 13" MBP does not have any more power. The end user experience as far as processor power is either going to be the same or lean towards the air

You really are just so far off here. You have far more after market options with the mbp as far as ssds, an that is the only thing that is faster when comparing stock configuration to stock configuration. If you're cpu bound, you might as well go to the 15". I mainly responded to argue the other side, but you really are biased on this topic. You may prefer the macbook air, and they are close enough for most people. My biggest hangup would be its display. It's not very good, and the extra resolution doesn't make up for it.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
The statistic regarding the MacBook Pro doesn't surprise me. I see them everywhere, whether on campus or in Starbucks. I prefer it over the MBA too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.