Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrantMeThePower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
Hi all,

I'm going to Germany for a couple of weeks. I'd like to be able to use my phone while there. Mostly for data, obviously, but if I had to make a call I'd like to be able to.

i guess for a couple of weeks, I'd end up using a gig or two.

What is the best way to do this? I believe the Verizon phone is already unlocked, but it uses a very special SIM, right?

Is there LTE available in Germany? Is there a way to buy a prepaid SIM ahead of time?

I'd really appreciate a breakdown of exactly what to do.... Thanks!!

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
I don't think LTE is avaliable for prepaid wireless companies yet but 3G on europe is faster than in the americas because they use DC HSPA (like t.mobile U.S except with great coverage everywhere)

Poly

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
I'm from Germany-Bavaria.

LTE with iPhone in Germany is only available with T-Mobile/Telekom. With prepaid Tmobile LTE and over 2GB of data....this will probably be VERY expensive! I don't know the exact prices :/
Though as previous poster said, 3G gives you about 7mbit/s.
But you need to check if the US iPhone5 is capable of using these frequencies in Europe.

I'd suggest buying a prepaid SIM card from a discount provider. Said companys 'rent' capabilities from the huge network companies. You can get these in any local electronic supermarket(aka Best Buy in the US). Here their names are MediaMarkt, Saturn, Tevi Expert....

If you prefer buying a SIM BEFORE your visit here i'd check for US resellers. So here in Germany there are people that provide cheap SIMs, like from Italy or UK. You buy one of them online before your vacation to said country and they'll sent it to you. I guess you have something similar in the US.

Hope that helps :)

EDIT: Where will you stay in Germany?

Last edited:

GrantMeThePower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
I'm from Germany-Bavaria.

LTE with iPhone in Germany is only available with T-Mobile/Telekom. With prepaid Tmobile LTE and over 2GB of data....this will probably be VERY expensive! I don't know the exact prices :/
Though as previous poster said, 3G gives you about 7mbit/s.
But you need to check if the US iPhone5 is capable of using these frequencies in Europe.

I'd suggest buying a prepaid SIM card from a discount provider. Said companys 'rent' capabilities from the huge network companies. You can get these in any local electronic supermarket(aka Best Buy in the US). Here their names are MediaMarkt, Saturn, Tevi Expert....

If you prefer buying a SIM BEFORE your visit here i'd check for US resellers. So here in Germany there are people that provide cheap SIMs, like from Italy or UK. You buy one of them online before your vacation to said country and they'll sent it to you. I guess you have something similar in the US.

Hope that helps :)

EDIT: Where will you stay in Germany?

Thank you! I guess with 7 mbit/sec I do not need to pay extra for the Tmobile LTE and I will pick up a nano-sim from a discount company. Do they all have nano-sims that will fit in the iphone 5?

I will be spending a week in Hannover for a tradeshow for work and then fly down to Munich where my girlfriend will meet me for a couple days of Oktoberfest. We're planning on renting a car and driving around Bavaria, the Black Forest and maybe spend a night on the Rhine. In total, I'll be in Germany for 15 days. I'm very excited!! I've never been to Germany.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Just go with one of the cheaper providers, Germany has in a lot of places very poor 3G coverage let alone LTE. Data allowance is rubbish even on expensive deals. In mobile terms Germany is almost a third world country. And to make matters worse it is very difficult for foreigners to make a sim card work in the first place, as many operators insist on a German home address or bank account. I am actually German and face these problems every time I visit home. If you are lucky you have a provider in your country that provides holiday sim cards. The last time I went Congstar was the best data deal, but I needed a family member to pay for it, but that might have changed since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.