Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Hi,
I've asked this question before, but I wanted to ask again to get some current info. I love Apple, but Google is the leader with Cloud computing.

I have used my Gmail account for a while now and have had very little problems thus far except for some minor syncing issues with labels from time to time, but I have always been tempted to iCloud Mail for no apparent reason. Gmail hasn't been bad, I just want iCloud, but I know it's had is share of problems and I'm reluctant to trust Apple with my email as they can be important and I don't want to loose (or never receive) my mail.

So, have you used iCloud mail lately? Any issues? Is it good?

Also, do they scan attachments for malware like Google?

Thanks for you feedback, it's much appreciated.

----------

Oh! I forgot to mention...

One of the minor annoyances with Google is that if I send myself something (Which I do all the time) delete the sent message from the "Sent" label it is also taken out of my inbox.

I like to delete emails I send to myself from "Sent" (to keep it uncluttered), but retain the message/content in my inbox or other label. Today gmail wouldn't let me do that......

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I have been using iCloud as my main mail account for about half a year now and have not had any problems with it, so I'd say it is reliable enough. But you should keep in mind that Gmail has more features. E.g., iCloud does not support "labels" (doesn't bother me personally since I have no use for them). Deleting a mail to self from "sent" does not delete it in the inbox though (I do this quite often too).

Another thing to consider is that Gmail is dropping support for Exchange Activeysync access for new devices. This means that push email will not be possible on new iOS devices anymore using the native mail client (you'll have to use the Gmail app for that).

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Thanks!

I don't use the labels like they are meant to be used, I treat them like regular folders, which can cause some issues....:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.