Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

butch10x

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
I still use a Macbook Pro 13 for portable use but as for my main workstation, I recently switched to a PC.

Main reason being that Aperture was not being updated properly, wanted to a new tower for more space and speed, figured would be cheaper to move over to Lightroom with a new far more powerful PC.

This is exactly where I stand too. After the announcement of the new Mac Pro. I've decided to build a beast PC. My primary use for a workstation is photo editing along with video occasionally. It's probably going to cost as much as the new 2013 Mac Pro, but I wont need the external peripherals (Thunderbolt as aPPLe is pushing), everything will be inside accept for a Synology Diskstation NAS. If anyone is curious I'll be gunning for either the Intel 4930k Hex or a 3.5ghz 4770k quad OC'd to around 4.5ghz.

My current 2010 3.2 Quad Mac Pro is not keeping up where it should be and I can't upgrade it without breaking the wallet. Things I was looking to upgrade were adding a Sonnet Temp Pro PciE card with dual SSD's in a Raid 0 and adding a USB 3.0 card, and going from my current 12gb to 32gb ram. The only CPU I can upgrade to is the 3.33 Hex which is stil a good CPU, but lets face it, if I'm gonna pay $550+ for a cpu that I can't even OC, I might as well get my bang for my buck on a PC rig.

I will still be buying the new MBP Retina refresh when it hits the shelves for my personal uses. I'm convinced that Apple notebooks are the best having been using them since 2008. Before that, I was using HP's.

I'm saddened by the fact I going to switch. But in the end, It's what will help me with my workflow in my photography business.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
What made me switch full time to the Mac in 2009 was Vista 64 bit constantly BSOD'ing and a Dell Precision M4400 'workstation' laptop that was an ergonomics disaster whose workmanship was awful. That pushed me over the edge.

I actually sent Dell a thank you note after I returned that turd. It was just the push I needed.

Robert Gama

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Lack of Innovation, Best Performance

I've been a Mac user since 2008 and really loved it. Bought lots of stocks, and lots of Apple products (a bit crazy actually) and a ridiculous amount on content from Apple.

I needed a powerful system for photo, video editing and gaming after being disappointed with laptop performance I was thinking about an iMac or the new Mac Pro.

I haven't heard much in the way of rumors for the iMac (besides a refresh to Haswell) and the Mac Pro is surely going to cost a fortune so I decided to make the switch back the PC.

I never thought this day would come but I actually really liked Windows 7. To be honest I had way more problems with my Macs than I did with my windows laptop.

I didn't like the direction Apple has been going eliminating the opportunities to swap out / upgrade certain components. Although it surely will continue to make it easier to get the drivers all properly supported due to the limited number of variations, I feel they've gone too far in thinking they always know what is best and I think they've lost much of the vision since Steve jobs' residual influence expires.

Anyway, this week I just built up a very high end killer system with lots of Asus' top components/monitors, and I'm positive that it will easily outperform the yet to be announced iMac.

MyMac1976

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
I won't use windows but I am making the transition to Linux. I think Arch will power the household going forward.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I went from a 1,1 mac Pro to a Lenovo S20 workstation when I started using 3ds Max. I'm still using it, but I long for the day when I finally go back to Mac as my main computer.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
Thread necro-ing I know, but it came up when I was googling and wanted to add my two cents.

I'm half switching from Mac to PC. I have a 5 year old mid 2009 13" MacBook Pro which is getting long in the tooth, has a cracked screen and is awful for playing games; even at the lowest detail levels it just wasn't coping. Plus the fans, even in OSX Yosemite, were coming on more often than I'd like.

I need a new Mac for work but I also wanted something more powerful for gaming. I've had to put many games to the side because the MBP wasn't capable.

I'd dearly love to get the new 5k iMac but thats well out of my price range for the moment, esp as I'd want to spec it with the better GFX card, the i7 and ideally at least 256GB Flash (preferablly 512GB). I'm also wanted to hold off a little on it till the 2nd generation of it to let them work any kinks out.

So with Divinity Original Sin, Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight, and more in mind, along with older games like L.A Noire (I get 1-7FPS on my MBP), The Witcher 1 & 2, I've built a gaming PC that should also double as a Hackintosh. (I'll find out tomorrow when my USB stick arrives, 128MB's isn't enough for Yosemite & Unibeast ;)

It will tide me over as a Mac until the new MBP's are released next year with (hopefully) the Broadwell chips. Though part of me wonders when Apple is going to migrate the desktops from Intel onto those custom Arm chips they are putting in the iPads. I really don't imagine it will be too long before we start to see the Air's getting them as a first wave.

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
A few topics (orientation)

… making the transition to Linux. I think Arch will power the household going forward.

I've considered switching a few times and I still might a few years down the line. Right now I have a brand new MBP (non-retina) and I'm very happy with it, however with every new version of OS X Apple is making it more and more like iOS …

… considering switching to Linux just to break free of Apple's restrictions. …

I've already ditched my iPad for a Nexus 7, and in a few months I'll ditch my iPhone for a Galaxy S4. In a few years I may very well ditch OS X too. …

… came up when I was googling and wanted to add my two cents.

I'm half switching from Mac to PC. I have a 5 year old mid 2009 13" MacBook Pro which is getting long in the tooth, has a cracked screen and is awful for playing games; even at the lowest detail levels it just wasn't coping.

Non OS X Alternatives to OS X Yosemite – recently active. Windows, BSD, PC-BSD, Linux etc..

Plus the fans, even in OSX Yosemite, were coming on more often than I'd like.

Search keywords: heat exchanger

(I responded to someone else about it a while back, that response disappeared when a topic was removed instead of closed/merged.)

… new MBP's are released next year with (hopefully) the Broadwell …

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20532899&roundup#post20532899

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
For home use, I don't see myself switching to PC any time in the near future. And I have yet to run into anyone who likes Windows 8. Are you out there? :)
I just read this old post. i think win8 is the best windows. Not like that is a great achievment, since the other Windows were all horrible. Nevertheless I find it not bad and I am surprised that others dislike it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just read this old post. i think win8 is the best windows. Not like that is a great achievment, since the other Windows were all horrible. Nevertheless I find it not bad and I am surprised that others dislike it.

It's like Mac= no worries, Windows = worries. Yeah Windows mostly works with extra effort, not required on the MacOS.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
I didn't technically switch as such, I expanded to include windows. Basically the only reasons were:

1. Games
2. I wanted to build my own PC

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I didn't technically switch as such, I expanded to include windows. Basically the only reasons were:

1. Games
2. I wanted to build my own PC

I'm in the same boat, in that I run two operating systems. I use windows for mostly work and OS X for home stuff.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I haven't switched. Since using only Macs beginning in 2007 when the iPhone came out, I thought it was time to get a Windows machine once again. I haven't regretted it. Windows is a pretty solid OS these days compared to when I used XP back in 2007.

I bought my Mac Mini back in September and now just use it as an server for my Apple TV. I use my Surface Pro 3 for everything else.

My job uses XP Pro machines with touch screens so I feel right at home now with my SP3.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
My desktop is PC, had an iMac and then Mac Pro, sold both. Prefer PC better for custom integration and setup for things like my home theater streaming as I have it setup exactly how I want, as well as doing other work related stuff. When I trade, I also prefer using windows as platforms run better vs OS/X. For laptops though I still prefer Macs and run windows in a VM when I need to when traveling.

shawnpuerto

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2014
I do work at the office with a pc, and I also use a pc at home as well, for basic stuff. I have my mac in a back corner, and I plug it in when I need to do some creative work.

mrpbennett

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2015
London
I made the switch after buying my first iPhone (3GS) after a love of Apple products in general i bought myself an iMac. Working in IT since 18 i was always around Windows and its many problems and many updates.

I now have had every iPhone since my 3GS, a iMac, 2 iPads, and now a Macbook Air. I wouldnt have anything else for personal use now. I work with on a Windows machine and i swear at it at least twice a day minimum.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
It's like Mac= no worries, Windows = worries. Yeah Windows mostly works with extra effort, not required on the MacOS.

I don't buy that, but its trendy for Apple users to say. A few on here find Windows less troublesome than their Mac. Ive used Windows for years. Yes, go back a way, driver issues, BSOD, those days are long gone. Even then you didn't need to work to maintain the PC, as Mac users often say.

I switched to OSX a year ago, solely to add to integration of my iPhone, ATV, iPad. OS X is prettier, but limitations do exist. Windows is free to do anything, updates not an issue, AV not an issue.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't buy that, but its trendy for Apple users to say. A few on here find Windows less troublesome than their Mac. Ive used Windows for years. Yes, go back a way, driver issues, BSOD, those days are long gone. Even then you didn't need to work to maintain the PC, as Mac users often say.

I switched to OSX a year ago, solely to add to integration of my iPhone, ATV, iPad. OS X is prettier, but limitations do exist. Windows is free to do anything, updates not an issue, AV not an issue.

My statement is based on a decade of experience with both platforms, not because I'm so in love with Apple products I can't make a reasonable and fair comparison.

And I don't dispute that Windows has more options, I will mention, but don't often delve into MacOS's terminal. The last time I used this was to overcome a limitation Steam had on the Mac side with the ease of the user's ability to move The Steam App folder to a different drive from a default location. So in this case, it was not a limitation of the MacOS as compared to Windows, but a limit caused by Valve and their approach to Mac programming.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I still use both. I prefer OS X because it's prettier and the user experience on the macbook pro retina is more joyous to do work on throughout the day. I like the keyboard and the screen.

I'm also liking Windows 10 and new machines like the Dell XPS are looking sharp. I think it's very difficult for Microsoft and any computer company to nail the user experience the way Apple does because of the hardware/software integration.

Ultimately Windows and OS X are more or less the same. Until you run into an issue where software is only developed for one platform, then there's not really a difference. If I had to save money I would go strictly Windows.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I still use both. I prefer OS X because it's prettier and the user experience on the macbook pro retina is more joyous to do work on throughout the day. I like the keyboard and the screen.

I'm also liking Windows 10 and new machines like the Dell XPS are looking sharp. I think it's very difficult for Microsoft and any computer company to nail the user experience the way Apple does because of the hardware/software integration.

Ultimately Windows and OS X are more or less the same. Until you run into an issue where software is only developed for one platform, then there's not really a difference. If I had to save money I would go strictly Windows.

I agree you can save money and get an OS just as capable with more options, than the MacOS, but still Apple provides a better user experience with less hassles and it is because they have better control and integration of hardware with software. So much so, that other computer makers are trying to emulate Apple's model. Windows problem is tens of thousands of hardware and Windows software variations.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
My statement is based on a decade of experience with both platforms, not because I'm so in love with Apple products I can't make a reasonable and fair comparison.

Ah, the assumption that I am defending Apple as I am an Apple lover?
No. I really like iOS. I like OS X, like is as far as it goes. Its prettier, it integrates wonderfully, but as a one year OS X user, and a long time Windows user, Windows does appear more free to me. Perhaps OS X is simpler, making a perception that it is less free than Windows. Perhaps I am far more fluent in Windows that gives me a perception? Others here are saying similar stuff, so there must be some truth in the minor limitations that Apple places in OS X to make it simpler but less functional. Take Finder vs Windows Explorer. I am stuck with columns that I cannot set. Take windows, where is the maximise windows, why do windows change size on me? Little things that I cannot seem to manage. In Windows I can set how they work, and they stay that way.

I often read about Apple dumbing down. iOS, OS X, apps. Maybe thats going to far, they should keep the options there for everybody, and if they also dumbed it down at UI level, leaving more advanced options elsewhere thats an option.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I agree you can save money and get an OS just as capable with more options, than the MacOS, but still Apple provides a better user experience with less hassles and it is because they have better control and integration of hardware with software. So much so, that other computer makers are trying to emulate Apple's model. Windows problem is tens of thousands of hardware and Windows software variations.

I agree. Although these days, with the times of driver issues , BSOD now in the past, I am unsure that the hardware issue is that relevant. Everything works, so the stability is there to give more integration, they just need to integrate on software not hardware. Reason being that Apple controls their hardware (phone, tablet, etc) so MS would need to develop a platform that is based on the hardware being irrelevant, as long as it includes in whatever OS it uses a contact point to integrate, or allow users to add an app that brings it together. Google does this via its software services, MS has its equivalent, but I agree, they are using Apples model.

I just feel that it would be very easy for Apple to take over this area, they just need to make OS X a little more functional, or more correctly, allow a little more control by the user.

----------

You need to correct your post. Fix the location of the quote tags...

Yep.I occasionally insert my reply and bold it if there are a few individual responses, to make it easier to read, although in that reply I didn't end up doing that, point taken though

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I don't see it that way.
I think both operating systems offer power and stability. Both have bugs and headaches, nothing is perfect but I find my window's machine to be just and stable and problem free as my MBP.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't see it that way.
I think both operating systems offer power and stability. Both have bugs and headaches, nothing is perfect but I find my window's machine to be just and stable and problem free as my MBP.

Your experience has been different than mine. I have some computer illiterate friends whose Windows PCs are the ultimate mess of issues they would not face if using Macs.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
Your experience has been different than mine. I have some computer illiterate friends whose Windows PCs are the ultimate mess of issues they would not face if using Macs.

Yeah, if you don't know what you're doing, you can accidentally do some damage to Windows that would be hard to replicate in OSX. The massive amount of ransomware, scareware, and "GET X FREE" programs you have floating around almost makes it an inevitability.

That's why I almost always recommend Macs and iPads to people who aren't all that comfortable with computers (and even some who are, depending on what they need).

But if you are comfortable with them, there's practically no differences in performance and stability between the two platforms these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.