Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
When WSJ says, "people familiar with the matter", that means "Apple".

This is a clear message from Apple to kill the rumors started today that the next Mini would not have retina. They don't want people rushing out to buy Nexus 7 thinking retina isn't coming.

Yep. Nailed it. WSJ always means a message from Apple.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The contrasting front page news (won't be retina, will be retina, won't be 2013, will be 2013) is enough to give anyone bi-polar disorder.....

At least for once it does mean Apple has finally managed to double down on security.....

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I don't think rumours affect sales that much.
Right now the Nexus 7 is up against the iPad Mini which doesn't have a high resolution screen. That is the fact until Apple changes it.

Rumors absolutely matter. If you look at the sales figures for all Apple devices, there are lulls for several months prior to the expected release date of new iterations. Many people are smart enough to understand the yearly cycle and thusly hold off purchases.

Clearly Apple thought it was important enough to provide this information to WSJ in the form of a controlled leak, which is exactly what this is.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So if the next gen iPad mini came in several colours, would they keep the aluminum design (much like the iPod touch) or have some kind of plastic backing like the 'iPhone 5C'?

My guess is the iPad mini's will look like iPod touch (assuming this rumor is true). I wonder what they'll do with the smart covers then.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Sounds a lot like an usual WSJ controlled leak, probably in reaction to today's rumor. If true, Apple's PR is quick!.....

When WSJ says, "people familiar with the matter", that means "Apple". This is a clear message from Apple to kill the rumors started today that the next Mini would not have retina. They don't want people rushing out to buy Nexus 7 thinking retina isn't coming.

Amid all the contradictory rumors as of late, the above makes perfect sense.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

This is a clear message from Apple to kill the rumors started today that the next Mini would not have retina. They don't want people rushing out to buy Nexus 7 thinking retina isn't coming.

Of course 9to5Mac didn't say there wouldn't be a retina mini but they had to know posting that story would be interpreted that way. I'd love it if they were wrong - for obvious reasons, but also to wipe some of the smugness from 9to5Mac contributors.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
iPad mini 'C' in coloured plastic and lo-res -16Gb?

iPad mini in slate and silver alu and retina - 32-128Gb?

In any case, as many have mentioned, the WSJ seem to be a reliable source of pre-release news due to their close relationship with Apple. Maybe Apple have simply stepped up their roll out with the introduction of the high res nexus 7?

Last edited:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'm skeptical that retina battery life vs. weight vs. performance vs. price have been solved already for the Mini, but when it does happen, I expect non-retina cheaper models to remain. (And then it might be just barely OK--far from ideal--to have a heavier or thicker Mini, because the nice light model would remain too.)

I'm one of the many who love retina, but love light weight more. I want a full-size retina iPad, but if the weight doesn't come down, I'm switching to Mini.

It notes that Apple is more likely to add Retina after the announcement of Google's new high-resolution Nexus 7

Apple doesn't care enough about the Nexus 7 to influence MAJOR technical and production issues that have long since been in the works. I'm with Stratechery on that:
To be clear, the decision has already been made; any pundit that suggests this year’s iPad mini will be in any way influenced by the Nexus 7 is an idiot

(And Apple was ALWAYS, obviously, going to add retina. It's a question of many factors determining when.)

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Last I checked, this was macRUMORS.com. Their job is to report rumors and our job is to decide what we deem as viable. Fairly simple concept.

Right. But since this is Mac Rumors dot com, they should just be reporting on "rumors" about the "Mac" It's not Apple Rumors dot com :D

icerabbit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2006

Agreed, that WSJ = controlled Apple feed

And, what's to say Apple couldn't keep the current non-retina mini around for a while longer at lower price point as a cheaper intro machine. Update the internals a little, fresh coat of paint, done. Just like with the ipods.

Mr Rogers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Hong Kong
Apple has lost the plot

If Apple fail to release a higher screen resolution in the iPad Mini later this year, there share value will plummet.

Let's be frank, Asus and Google with the latest Nexus 7 have stolen one hell of a march on Apple, even though in my opinion, it fails to tick the box in many of my own personal requirements, namely, no 64G version.

For those that keep reiterating that Apple devices have more iApps, how much longer will this last given the increasing popularity of Android and multiplicity of form factors - competition among OEM manufacturers is most welcome.

Although a fully Apple household, I will not touch a iPad Mini for my daughter without a better display - and given the strides made by Asus and Google with the N7, may finally get one myself once it reaches its third incarnation next year.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
iPad mini 'C' in coloured plastic and lo-res -16Gb?

iPad mini in slate and silver alu and retina - 32-128Gb?

In any case, as many have mentioned, the WSJ seem to be a reliable source of pre-release news ue to their close relationship with Apple. Maybe Apple have simply stepped up their roll out with the introduction of the high res nexus 7?

I think this is a step Apple may be looking at in the near future. I think you're onto something... Polycarbonate is back @ :apple:!!!!

(Hope they bring back some poly MacBooks to be honest... I don't think this is even a worry for them - they will use polycarbonate for the mobile arena.)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Agreed, that WSJ = controlled Apple feed

And, what's to say Apple couldn't keep the current non-retina mini around for a while longer at lower price point as a cheaper intro machine. Update the internals a little, fresh coat of paint, done. Just like with the ipods.

Yes, a non-retina mini could replace the iPad 2. If Apple can get out a retina mini for the holiday quarter, and possibly one that comes in multiple colors ala iPod touch that would be huge. Strange though that we're not hearing anything about the 5th gen iPad.

Tjosansa

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2013
I have hard to see retina just yet.
I dont want the extra weight and thickness.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
If Apple fail to release a higher screen resolution in the iPad Mini later this year, there share value will plummet.

Let's be frank, Asus and Google with the latest Nexus 7 have stolen one hell of a march on Apple, even though in my opinion, it fails to tick the box in many of my own personal requirements, namely, no 64G version.

Well apart from the fact its only available in 1 territory, and looks like it not be available in other select countries till September and then others following.

If Apple release a Mini in October it really doesn't give the nexus 7.2 a huge march, and lets also be clear the Original Nexus 7 came out months before the iPad Mini - it had a higher ppi - much lower price point - and yet still sold far far less than the mini when it finally came out. So why should this year be any different ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.