Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Hi all,

I was extremely lucky to spot the Jobs yacht today on my way to work!!!

Funny thing is that I catched it with the corner of my eye, and it seemed familiar (thanks to MR articles of course..!)

Below some photos & info I found after spotting it.

You can find all the full resolution photos at this wetransfer link (http://we.tl/A9Khg6SV6C)

Map : http://goo.gl/maps/CGLLe

Recent port calls : http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=319327000

ship details http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=319327000

Attachments

• IMG_3054.jpg
    IMG_3054.jpg
    787.3 KB · Views: 1,018
  • IMG_3072.JPG
    IMG_3072.JPG
    419.3 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_3111.JPG
    IMG_3111.JPG
    526.4 KB · Views: 517
  • jobs_yacht_map_left.jpg
    jobs_yacht_map_left.jpg
    713.7 KB · Views: 663
  • marine traffic.jpg
    marine traffic.jpg
    660.8 KB · Views: 581

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Good find! Gotta admit, it is a nice looking boat. Wouldn't mind having one myself. As long as I could change the batteries.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Pretty cool that you saw it. Even cooler is the site you've shown to track boats. I like.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Good find! Gotta admit, it is a nice looking boat. Wouldn't mind having one myself. As long as I could change the batteries.

I wouldn't mind owning 1/40th of it..but I wish I owned a longer than 100mm telephoto lens though

That's why I just ordered one today (70-300) so I can be a better paparazzo hereon after..! :D

It's a pity I didn't have a decent reach, and even if I bought it today, as per marinetraffic, the yacht has already left

----------

Pretty cool that you saw it. Even cooler is the site you've shown to track boats. I like.

yes!! I was really thrilled realizing it was the Jobs yacht!!

marinetraffic.com is pretty cool indeed! I definitely didn't expect to find it there. If Steve was alive, I would have sent him the link. He would have gone thermonuclear

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Not a fan of Starck at all but it looks ok.

I was wondering when it would turn up in Europe, was a while ago they were sending it across.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
So nobody here (other than me) is curious to know WHO was sailing aboard that yacht?

Laurene? Jonny? Steve's cremated ashes?

Perhaps if you are a believer in Jobs faking his own death, perhaps it is Jobs himself! CONSPIRACY!
Edit: no disrespect to Jobs, just poking a bit of fun on the rumors directly following his death. He was a great man with a great vision for his company.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
So nobody here (other than me) is curious to know WHO was sailing aboard that yacht?

Laurene? Jonny? Steve's cremated ashes?

With yachts like this, it's very common for the owner to spend less than two weeks per year aboard. If they want to spend, say, a week in August in Greece, they'll make the yacht go there two weeks before, and take a private jet to get there.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Perhaps if you are a believer in Jobs faking his own death, perhaps it is Jobs himself! CONSPIRACY!
Edit: no disrespect to Jobs, just poking a bit of fun on the rumors directly following his death. He was a great man with a great vision for his company.

I don't think he faked his death at all, but I was wondering if the video I saw that was supposedly taken at his last meeting at Apple was faked. He passed out and slid to the floor in the video. Whoever shot it should be hung IMO. But it was a spooky video reminding us all to live life while we are alive. Life is precious... Very hard to watch.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I don't think he faked his death at all, but I was wondering if the video I saw that was supposedly taken at his last meeting at Apple was faked. He passed out and slid to the floor in the video. Whoever shot it should be hung IMO. But it was a spooky video reminding us all to live life while we are alive. Life is precious... Very hard to watch.

That video was a fake.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest

Its more than possible that the Jobs family has quietly put the yacht out for charter hire.

I know nothing about Jobs' children or widow's interest in yacht cruising, but simply keeping a 256' vessel like this maintained in port can cost hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars per year. While they certainly could afford it, its still a lot of money to spend on something you don't use. Selling the boat however, may involve some emotional decisions the family may not yet be quite ready to make. (It was Dad's last, and greatest, toy..)

The yacht was spotted earlier this year in Palm Beach, Florida. However I am unaware of it ever having made it to California.

While the vessel is visually stunning, its lack of a bulwark to protect the superstructure from large breaking waves makes it unsuitable for open ocean cruising. I wouldn't take that boat around Cape Horn or into areas where it might encounter a typhoon or hurricane.

I suspect that the vessel is cruising in the Mediterranean due to the generally calmer waters to be found there - as well as a much greater market of potential purchasers.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One

Yeah I'm not a conspiracy theorist... Never saw that video... never heard of that video!

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008

That video was a fake.

+1 yeah man it's kinda obvious that is was fake.. pretty dumb actually

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
+1 yeah man it's kinda obvious that is was fake.. pretty dumb actually

I had no idea. I only saw it once, and considered it in such poor taste that I never watched it again, nor with any degree of focus or detail. I guess, in spite of what others say, I am a human being after all... I mean, what kind of ANIMAL would actually publish a real picture of a man like that in what appeared to be an absolute low in his tragically short life. And to fake it too... That's low...:eek::mad::mad::mad:

EDIT: Been tracking the yacht with that program.

The one thing about the design is the 90 degree attack angle with the water, and the chrome prow. 'Distinctive' comes to mind, and odd to... Isn't that like the house he was rumored to be building that was all glass and 90-degree angles... Was it ever completed? (the house)

Anyway, I hope they are having fun. They deserve it. That was a tough year.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Yachts are commonly carried across dangerous waters like the Atlantic on heavy lift ships, several at a time to save money(!). Then, as mentioned, the owners hook up with them later in calmer, more monied waters.

Look at the YouTube videos where monster waves are sweeping across ships like US aircraft carriers.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Look up Paul Allen's yacht, supposedly costing almost $400k per week to own.

It has more radar than a third world destroyer, for what purpose I don't know. Perhaps it is to detect approaching 98 per centers and fire upon them...

I would rather be on Jobs' boat with a happy local gal, cruising serenely in warm, gentle seas and not having to pay for anything.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
Hi all,

I was extremely lucky to spot the Jobs yacht today on my way to work!!!

Funny thing is that I catched it with the corner of my eye, and it seemed familiar

Darn! I was just near Athens too. Still nice that you saw it in person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.