Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Fellow Mac user fountain pen users - what do you like? Any great pen values to recommend? Favorite ink? What style/size nib?

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
I love fountain pens and use nothing but. I like Cross pens, so long as they aren't the stupid quasi-futuristic ones that they make. I wish I had more money to spend on pens, but I'm a college student, so...

But I like a nice, thin nib and the Cross inks seem to work well for me. I'd be open to others enlightening me on other fountain pens, though.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
I too am budget-limited. I have one expensive fountain pen, a fine nib Waterman Edson (blue) that my dad recently gave me. It was a gift he received - I don't think he or I would spend that much on a pen. I use it with Florida Blue Waterman ink cartridges.

As for fountain pens I have bought, two have struck me as great values. The first is a Namiki/Pilot Vanishing Point. This is one of the nicest writing pens I have used, and the price is reasonable. The nib on mine is broad, though Namiki nibs are less broad than, say Parker nibs, at any given width. I have the black carbon model and use it with Namiki black cartridges.

My previous everyday pen was a Waterman Phileas. This is the pen that got me hooked on writing with a fountain pen. At $30, it is an incredible value in my opinion. I think it compares well to pens that cost many-fold more in feel and overall writing experience.

I'm sure there are many many fountain pen users here at MR. Anyone else have suggestions, comments?

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Macaddicttt said:
Looking at the Waterman website, the pens look too thick for me. Right now, my preferred pen is a Cross Century II.
Nice looking pen. I haven't written with one but will be sure to try. I like writing with somewhat fat pens - less hand strain for me.

Dandaman

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
soCal
:( No fountain pens for me as they don't seem to work well for left-handers. Something about us pushing while writing vs. pulling (for right handers). Any left-handers here find a solution for this?

daniel

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
Dandaman said:
:( No fountain pens for me as they don't seem to work well for left-handers. Something about us pushing while writing vs. pulling (for right handers). Any left-handers here find a solution for this?

daniel

I think you'd also have to worry about smearing the ink, right?

L

Lau

And I think (though could be wrong) that the very tip of the nib is slightly angled to suit a right hander.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
amin said:
Fellow Mac user fountain pen users - what do you like? Any great pen values to recommend? Favorite ink? What style/size nib?

in baltimore, go to bertram's inkwell... think they still have a store in town. they're top notch folks when it comes to pens.

personally, i prefer an aurora sole with aurora ink. it writes pretty fast, but the pen has the perfect weight for me. i also have an aurora demonstrator that i love. i think they're excellent value for the money.

pretty sure this has been discussed before, but i'm too lazy this morning to search.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I dont know what my pen is. it just says "stypen" on the little clippy thing. bought it many years ago when I was a kid. we were on holiday in France and i needed a new gel pen. only i saw this stunning fountain pen and figured "hey they gotta be good"... i looove gels and fountain pens. so liquidy.
its a kind of vulcanized rubber black thing with silver ends and stuff.

ink? i just use regular fountain pen black! nothing special.

oh, i call it Monty :) named after my dads old Montego.

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
A little off topic, I know, but... have any of you tried writing with a quill? I've been joking with a friend that we should write to each other with a quill and parchment ( the whole email/text message thing is getting boring :rolleyes: ). Is it as simple as finding a feather and a bottle of ink? Or should I be looking for a particular feather?

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
.:*Robot Boy*:. said:
A little off topic, I know, but... have any of you tried writing with a quill? I've been joking with a friend that we should write to each other with a quill and parchment ( the whole email/text message thing is getting boring :rolleyes: ). Is it as simple as finding a feather and a bottle of ink? Or should I be looking for a particular feather?
Yeah - a Takahe

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I am also budget-limited (nothing over $20), and I prefer Scheaffer pens at this level. Scheaffer inks are good too, but I prefer Parker inks due to their standard shades of blue and black inks being very rich yet less likely to bleed through the paper than some others I've used.

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2004
South Eastern MA
I was looking for my Parker fountain pen, and when I found it, the nib was bent. It still writes, but is it still useful? Can I fix this? It's pretty bent though.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Check out...

I always have found great pens at Sharon Luggage. I personally like using the rollarball pens from Tornado they work great. They also carry lots of fountain pens, so find your local sharon luggage. They are usually located in Malls.

Nuc

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
gwuMACaddict said:
in baltimore, go to bertram's inkwell... think they still have a store in town. they're top notch folks when it comes to pens.
They did have a nice store. I've been there and they were super helpful, seemed knowledgeable (not hard to seem this way to me I guess), and had a nice selection with good prices. However, I called their White Flint, MD store over the weekend, and they told me the Baltimore store had been closed :(. *EDIT - I was wrong - I went to Bertram's in downtown Baltimore and they are quite open. It was a different site that closed.*

gwuMACaddict said:
personally, i prefer an aurora sole with aurora ink. it writes pretty fast, but the pen has the perfect weight for me. i also have an aurora demonstrator that i love. i think they're excellent value for the money.
I've never had an Aurora fountain pen. I had an Aurora roller that I loved (actually purchased it from Betram's), but it was lost or stolen at work.

gwuMACaddict said:
pretty sure this has been discussed before, but i'm too lazy this morning to search.
I did search before posting. Found pen threads and threads with fountain pens in the title, but no general threads about fountain pens.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
What about inks? What are your favorites?

I started out using Waterman Florida Blue, which remain's my most-used ink.

I previously used Namiki Black, but since starting this thread found that Aurora Black is both smoother and blacker. This is the black that lives in my Pilot/Namiki Vanishing Point currently.

I like Waterman's Havana Brown, but right now using Private Reserve's Black Cherry instead. I'm sure I'll get back to the Havana Brown before too long, but enjoying the excursion.

Anyone discover a new favorite ink lately?

i also have an aurora demonstrator that i love. i think they're excellent value for the money.
Wow, must really be an awesome pen to be a good value at such a high price. I can't imagine ever thinking that a $500+ pen is a good value!

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
amin said:
Wow, must really be an awesome pen to be a good value at such a high price. I can't imagine ever thinking that a $500+ pen is a good value!

I meant compared to other expensvie pens... but yes, they can be pricey

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Parkers are good -- for less than $8 the Reflex can't be beaten.

Also check antique stores for old fountain pens if you want high end on a low budget. Parker 51s, in particular, make for a good quarry when it comes to reliability (especially if it has the Aerometric pressbar filler) and utility.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Another vote for Cross.

My penmanship, lousy as it is, is at its best with a Cross Century II fountain pen.

The clip broke off a few years back and I sent it in for repair, they sent me a whole new pen for the cost of shipping. I came with a new nib which doesn't feel right still after a couple of years. :(. The old one was worn just right.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.