Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
UK
Hey everyone, had my rMBP just under a year (about 10 days left) and since the last SMC update i have had serious heat issues under both OSX and Windows 8.

Under OSX using iStat and SMC Fan Control, 95% idle CPU results in 70+c temperatures with the fans running at 4k, which sounds somewhat excessive.

My real issue however, is when i move to Windows 8 for gaming (Borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite, Black Ops 2, and even FIFA 13) i can use a fan control app (LubboFanControl, which doesnt even monitor CPU temp, just shows a red cross) and set fans at 6k, launch the game, but no matter what i do, it begins to lag badly in all games.

I have scoured the internet and have determined that it is an SMC issue (WHICH AN SMC RESET DOESN'T FIX) or my CPU is overheating (my GPU is running at normal temperatures, not hitting 70c when playing Bioshock Infinite).

Any advice would be appreciated, i am phoning AppleCare support within the next few days and arranging something to be done, as i also have a ghosting issue which i might as well get fixed while i'm at it :)

Edit: just downloaded Angry Birds Space on OSX, CPU Temp hits 85c whilst playing it in windowed mode :/

Last edited:

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
I guess you would need to clean the insides up. Do an apple hardware test just to figure out if any hardware issues. I would anyday suggest you get it to apple so they can do their diagnostics and replace any defective parts before warranty gets over. I hope you have brought apple care its a life saver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.