Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Motorola today announced its new 4.7-inch Moto X smartphone, which comes equipped with a number of impressive features like a 720p AMOLED Display, Touchless Control via Google Now integration, multiple customization options, and unique camera controls. The phone has been described as Google and Motorola's flagship iPhone competitor.

The Moto X is the first phone where Google is in control of both the hardware and the software, giving the company greater control over the end user experience. Google's Moto X does not utilize a skin like other Android smartphones, but Google does allow carriers to add pre-loaded apps and other software. There will, however, be a Google Play edition available for users who prefer a stock Android experience.

The phone includes the Motorola X8 Computing System, with a Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, 1.7Ghz dual-core Krait CPU and quad-core Adreno 320 GPU. It offers 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, a 10-megapixel rear camera, and a 2,200mAh battery that offers up to 24 hours of battery life.

motox.jpg
To support its Touchless Control feature, the phone includes a dedicated processor that listens for voice commands while preserving battery life. This feature allows users to obtain weather information, directions, and more with hands-free controls.

Motorola's Moto X also offers a unique "Quick Capture" camera functionality, opening the camera app with a wrist flick. Once open, a picture can be snapped by touching anywhere on the screen.

Though the Moto X is available through multiple carriers, customers purchasing an AT&T version of the phone will be able to customize it, choosing a black or white faceplate with sixteen different back case color options and accents.

The Moto X is set to launch in late August or early September and will be priced at $199 with a two-year contract.

Article Link: Motorola Unveils 4.7-Inch Moto X Smartphone with 24-Hour Battery and Touchless Controls

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
It's a phone that will look pretty, perform decently for last year specs.... and that's about it.

$199 on contract.... not sure about that.

Awaiting unlocked/off-contract pricing...

Edit: And even more curious about stock Google versions.

gooberwilson

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2012
Canada
This is the first android phone that makes me seriously consider switching to android. Hardware an software controlled by google is a big move.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
The battery is insane! I might consider getting one if it actually lasts all day, especially since the specs, too, are not too shabby. :)

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Google servers listening on every conversation … waiting for a command? no thank you.

Actually that initial "waiting for a command" happens locally. Then when you say the keyword 'Ok, Google Now...' it records the rest of it which then gets processed on the server.

I'm with you, still creepy but facts are facts.

Georgij

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
Now how is that 'Designed by You' if you can just choose a different colour of the back?

Edit:
On their site it says ''Through our online studio, Moto Maker, you choose the colors, and decide on the details: front, back, accents, memory, wallpapers, even add a name or a short message.''

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Looks great, wish I could activate Siri hands free.

There's an option in settings ya know ;)....just bring your iPhone up to your ear and start talking.

Not the same, I know. personally I'd rather not have a process running constantly for something if I'm not intending on using it. Having a dedicated processor in X sounds like a nice idea. I'd rather activate a feature when I want it, and not have Google constantly listening in the background. Kinda what creeps me out about the Xbox One too.

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
For a moment I thought I was on a website that focuses on Apple news and rumors.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Looks pretty good. If it can achieve the battery life it sets out to achieve, that will make this a solid Android phone. THe price kills it for me though. Should be $50 bucks cheaper.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Actually that initial "waiting for a command" happens locally. Then when you say the keyword 'Ok, Google Now...' it records the rest of it which then gets processed on the server.

I'm with you, still creepy but facts are facts.

And if you believe that, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.