Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsloan

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2013
Austin, TX
Now i really wish id bought the Mac Pro whilst it was still available in the UK, instead i (stupidly) held out for the refresh, so instead of having to do some slight hacking of a couple of GPU cards, ive now got to build and hack together a hackintosh PC that can output Thunderbolt, so i can hide it away from my desk and use my iMac as a monitor.

I tried this with a Gigabyte Ivy Bridge Thunderbolt mobo. No go. OSX is using some SW to verify it's a Mac on the other end. It has to be a Mac or it won't work. At least that's my experience. Granted I was running Windows, my 2011 iMac refused to show anything but a Pci to Pci bridge.

Sorry to thread hijack. As you were... :)

Last edited:

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Got my Zotac 680 today. Initially when trying to flash the card then refused with PCI Subsystem Mismatch.

Crossed Fingers, did the nvglash -4 -5 -6 name_of_rom.rom file and forced on.

Had a bit of cursing initially but an SMC reset did the trick and have working boot screens and a work GPU card.

Now for the W3680 Processor Upgrade over the Weekend

Last edited:

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Got my Zotac 680 today. Initially when trying to flash the card then refused with PCI Subsystem Mismatch.

Crossed Fingers, did the nvglash -4 -5 -6 name_of_rom.rom file and forced on.

Had a bit of cursing initially but an SMC reset did the trick and have working boot screens and a work GPU card.

Now for the W3680 Processor Upgrade over the Weekend

The mismatch error is normal (but scary). I always use the -5 -6 flags....

djh-au

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2013
I have got my hand on an EVGA 680GT SC 2G, can someone point me at a 2G ROM file that will work?

Ta.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
does the evga 680 4gb classified work without a second psu?
it's better to choose the evga 680 4gb ftw?

My concern is that the 680's are normally a 6pin + 8pin connection and the Classified is an 8pin + 8pin indicating that will be a higher power draw for the higher clock speeds that get with the Classified.

With the Mac Pro supplying 6pin + 6pin then personally would be concerned if not using a seperate PSU to power.

Other people have run 6pin + 8ping 680's off the Motherboard with 6pin to 8pin adaptors, however I haven't seen anyone with an 8pin + 8pin 680 do so yet.

Personally I would say stick with the FTW version as is a 6pin + 8pin if not getting a second PSU, otherwise doesn't really matter.

xelanaiznac

macrumors member
May 13, 2013
italy
My concern is that the 680's are normally a 6pin + 8pin connection and the Classified is an 8pin + 8pin indicating that will be a higher power draw for the higher clock speeds that get with the Classified.

With the Mac Pro supplying 6pin + 6pin then personally would be concerned if not using a seperate PSU to power.

Other people have run 6pin + 8ping 680's off the Motherboard with 6pin to 8pin adaptors, however I haven't seen anyone with an 8pin + 8pin 680 do so yet.

Personally I would say stick with the FTW version as is a 6pin + 8pin if not getting a second PSU, otherwise doesn't really matter.

thank you...i will look for a zotac 680 4gb, it has 6+6 pin.
otherwise other gpu with max 8+6pin, as the phantom 4gb or the evga ftw, right?

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
You will probably find the evga easier to flash as is the same vendor, whereas the phantom is gainward so like the sofas need to run the nvflash from dos prompt with the 5 and 6 options rather then in the GUI however.

The zotac seems to be quite rare ( in the uk at least ) I had the last one from where I bought mine and they no longer sell them.
Google brought up a fair few hits which turned out to be discontinued as well.

In general 680's starting to dry up as new in store now the 700 series is out.

patlee88

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
I succesed to flash zotac Gtx 680 4gb, with 6+6pins. Thanks for providing this brilliant rom image

marbeljoyce

macrumors member
May 13, 2013
Just got my regular EVGA GTX 680+ 4gb, flashed it like a cake, no hiccups process took 15seconds i expected more pain than that. Great guide dr.Stealth.

P.S. For poeple with PCI fans at 1400+ RPM and PSU fans at 1200+ RPM, you probably have iStat installed, removing iStats preferences completely and reinstalling solved problem for me!!! i was really surprised, no nv pram smc reset helped, so i remembered that istat has some rules for fans. It solved my problem.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Thank you so much for the files, pictures, and clear instructions. I bought a used eVGA GTX680 FTW 4GB for $362 and will be attempting a flash this weekend.

Well I got a bad card. Colored snow across the screen in both W7 and ML.

Second card on the way as I return this one.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
my buddies trynna get a evga 680 4gb ftw edition and he has no clue about flashing and neither do i so he wont be doing that.... so what he should be expecting is no boot screen and link speed running at pcie 1? am i correct any other issues?

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
my buddies trynna get a evga 680 4gb ftw edition and he has no clue about flashing and neither do i so he wont be doing that.... so what he should be expecting is no boot screen and link speed running at pcie 1? am i correct any other issues?

Correct. No boot screen and 2.5 GT/s link speed.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Does the 2gb flavor get 5.0gt out of the box?

Here is the whole skinny. (Please someone correct me if I am wrong.)

Mac Edition 680 gets 5.0 GT/s and boot screens out of the box in OS X and Windows.

PC 680, regardless of memory size, gets 2.5 GT/s and no boot screens out of the box in OS X and Windows.

If you use Nvidia's web drivers for OS X, you can get an out of the box PC 680 to 5.0 GT/s in OS X, regardless of memory size. It will still be 2.5 GT/s in Windows. No boot screens.

If you flash a PC 680, regardless of memory size, it will be 5.0 GT/s in OS X and Windows, and have boot screens.

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013

Mac Edition 680 gets 5.0 GT/s and boot screens out of the box in OS X and Windows.

PC 680, regardless of memory size, gets 2.5 GT/s and no boot screens out of the box in OS X and Windows.

If you use Nvidia's web drivers for OS X, you can get an out of the box PC 680 to 5.0 GT/s in OS X, regardless of memory size. It will still be 2.5 GT/s in Windows. No boot screens.

If you flash a PC 680, regardless of memory size, it will be 5.0 GT/s in OS X and Windows, and have boot screens.

All correct.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA

Actually, not quite accurate. A 3,1 Mac Pro does not get 5.0 speeds from Nvidia drivers with unflashed cards, just 4,1 and later. EFI cards do get in lower 2 slots.

You should always test card with original rom before flashing.

You should always back up original rom before flashing. I mean ALWAYS !!!

If card works with original but acts up after flashed than rom isn't right.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
My replacement card arrived and this time worked right out of the box.

Flashed with no problems. Easier than falling off a log.

I'm leaving mine at the reference clocks and power as included in the ROM. Perhaps I will tweak them back to FTW edition levels later.

Thanks!

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Just a followup.

At reference clock and voltage levels, my card has been working perfectly in OS X and Windows, including several hours under load.

Confident that it was working well, I recently restored the FTW clock and voltage levels and again it is working perfectly in OS X and Windows, including several hours under load.

Comparing reference clock speeds vs FTW clock speeds, Unigine benches show almost identical scores in every aspect except one: minimum FPS jumped up a whopping 40%. That jump up occurs in both OS X and Windows.

2x6-pin power works fine for this. No adapters needed.

I temporarily installed a 6-to-8 pin adapter; this tells the card that 150W is available instead of 75W. The benches were still the same, so it is not running in any sort of crippled mode with using 2x6-pin power. (This is already mentioned in the thread, so I'm just corroborating it.) I have since removed the adapter and run without it.

After seeing some minor and major problems with certain other PC GFX cards, I have to say I am extremely happy with this particular solution.

BigChrisUK

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
At reference clock and voltage levels, my card has been working perfectly in OS X and Windows, including several hours under load.

Confident that it was working well, I recently restored the FTW clock and voltage levels and again it is working perfectly in OS X and Windows, including several hours under load.

Comparing reference clock speeds vs FTW clock speeds, Unigine benches show almost identical scores in every aspect except one: minimum FPS jumped up a whopping 40%. That jump up occurs in both OS X and Windows.

2x6-pin power works fine for this. No adapters needed.

I temporarily installed a 6-to-8 pin adapter; this tells the card that 150W is available instead of 75W. The benches were still the same, so it is not running in any sort of crippled mode with using 2x6-pin power. (This is already mentioned in the thread, so I'm just corroborating it.) I have since removed the adapter and run without it.

After seeing some minor and major problems with certain other PC GFX cards, I have to say I am extremely happy with this particular solution.

Hi,

Just to clarify, you bought this card

Which is a single 8 pin, and used the existing 2 x 6 pins to run it? Apologies for my dumbness, theres a lot to divulge on this thread.

You then ran the ROM image kindly provided on this thread and all worked well? No external PSU needed? Full boot screen and clock rates?

I was looking into a 780 but there's a lot more support on here for the 680. In the long term I may get 2 x 680's but my patching skills are next to ***** so I'll leave that for the time being. :eek:

Thanks for any help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.