Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
If i were you i would buy a iPad mini because they are small and compact and they are perfect when you are traveling around places and you need to use something quick and easy when i go out i always take one with me to use then i can use it if i need to its great when you need to check emails or send emails quickly.i would be lost with out my iPad mini i really would.i do have a iPhone but i think it a bit small to be reading emails on really i would prefer the mini for that sort of thing where it is a little bigger for that sort of thing.The only thing i really use my iPhone really is just to answer calls or listening to music anything else out comes the mini if i am out and about to do something.

If you do decide to buy a mini i would suggest getting a bluetooth keyboard with it too make your life a bit more easier so that you can write on the forum,messages,emails.

The logic tech bluetooth keyboard is perfect

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
...although its grammar checking and automatic capitalisation could use some improvement...

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
You probably don't need an iPad.

If you get one, you will probably use it all the time and love it.

It is interesting that you feel compelled to upgrade your Apple gear each year. I'm still mostly happy with my 2007 MacBook Pro and first-generation iPad. It is time to upgrade both of them, but I certainly don't feel the need every year.

cats4jan

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
Agree that OP is trying to justify purchasing an iPad.

Got one as a gift and it was the best gift I've ever gotten. It has replaced my laptop, but I still use my desktop for anything complex.

It's a great toy - and it's useful - the best of both worlds.

Sounds like you can afford it because you upgrade products that are still in their prime - so go for it. Why not. ;)

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
You probably don't "need" it, but if you are curious, I suggest you get the Mini. Heck, I would recommend it anyways, cause it's awesome! I bet you'll use it as your primary device at home.

My iPhone is for when I'm out and about.

My Mac is for work, emails video and photo editing, file storing, music andmedia management and when having to do intensive online tasks (online trainings, web forms, etc.) . (Obviously surfing the web and fun stuff too)

My iPad mini is for when I'm home.. relaxing.. Surfing the web, shopping, social networking, HBO Go on the couch, reading, quick emails, you name it!

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
For a long time I didn't think I would need or want an ipad because I had a iphone 4 and then an iPhone 5 when they were released and a MacBook Air 11", which I thought was as small and as portable as the full size ipad.

Then I was updating the computer at night and my cat unplugged it so the battery went dead.

Next day in court I had my notes for a very important sentencing hearing on the clients folder in my law firm dropbox account, and the computer was dead.

So I pulled up the word file on my iPhone and did fine using it to have my notes for my oral argument.

The screen was a tad too small to be able to glance at the billet list short phrases that would guide the argument I'd mostly memorized.

Walking out of court, I thought that it would have been nice to have had a bigger screen on my iphone.

The very next day apple announced the ipad mini.

That's when I realized I both wanted and needed an ipad. I bought the first ipad mini 64 white I could find in Boise.

Now I use it 50% of the time in court, anytime when I'm only reading, not inputting text. I was a medical transcriptionist so I can type 200-250 words per minute on a good keyboard, so anytime I have to type, I use the Mac air, and
Anytime I don't have to type, I use the mini.

I'm sure you mig find it useful as I have. I actually like that it has the same OS as the phone, which earlier I had hated before getting it. All the things I love about and do with the iPhone are done easier and better on the ipad

Last edited:

TheDane

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
Is it worth to buy an iPad just to read books? (I don't play games) and I think I can use my iPhone for chatting/writing emails/surfing online. Well, I can read books on my iPhone too (the text isn't smaller, books just got more pages then). Macs also support iBooks now.

Buy a Kindle for that - i have an iPad 3 but prefers the Kindle reading - always

jread

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Austin, TX
I used my iPads a lot when I had an old Windows laptop as my only real computer. With my rMBP, the iPad just collects dust. If I am out and about, or in bed, I use my iPhone (as it can do anything my iPad can do). If I'm on the couch or need to do some real work, I use the rMBP.

The iPad has no use for me anymore. If they ever increase the size of the damn iPhone screen, I will have no use for an iPad ever again.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I used my iPads a lot when I had an old Windows laptop as my only real computer. With my rMBP, the iPad just collects dust. If I am out and about, or in bed, I use my iPhone (as it can do anything my iPad can do). If I'm on the couch or need to do some real work, I use the rMBP.

The iPad has no use for me anymore. If they ever increase the size of the damn iPhone screen, I will have no use for an iPad ever again.

This is pretty much the state of things for me as well, sad as it may seem. My iPad and I used to be inseparable, but it got to the point where my iPad wasn't doing anything that either my Mac or my iPhone couldn't do. It just ended up being a glorified e-reader, and even that function has been replaced by a Kindle.

If iPhones grow to 4.7 or 5 inches, I really won't have much of a need for iPads at all.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
It just ended up being a glorified e-reader, and even that function has been replaced by a Kindle.

If iPhones grow to 4.7 or 5 inches, I really won't have much of a need for iPads at all.
I prefer my Kindle Paperwhite for reading. My mini suffers from its low resolution.

Lately I've wondered if Apple has stubbornly refused to give the iPhone a modern sized display... just because it would cut into iPad sales.

jread

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Austin, TX
Lately I've wondered if Apple has stubbornly refused to give the iPhone a modern sized display... just because it would cut into iPad sales.

That has always been my theory. They can talk all the BS they want about how the current screen is ergonomically perfect for one-handed use, etc. (I have big hands so it's too small to me), but I think the real reason is that if the iPhone had a 5" screen then suddenly there would be a lot of people who probably wouldn't buy an iPad anymore, especially not the iPad Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.