Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doogaloo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2013
Hi,

I'm in the process of managing the development of an iPad Mini app that is a financial-transaction application which needs to sync with an Admin Panel and master database. The development of this app is based on a migration from an old app that is currently running on Palm OS devices.

The current setup now is that the "admin panel" is basically a Java Viewer (.jar file) which is downloaded onto Windows/MAC PCs. The administrators control the database and user rights, (the database and .jar file is on a server in the cloud). The Palm OS application is asynchronous and must be manually updated to get new data from the db via MobiLink.

Well, I am going to scrap this old system but the main issue I am having is how to go about creating the Admin panel. I know I can use a web interface and have the iPad mini app use a web service but I'd like a more secure solution and preferably a native app that will run on both Windows.

Does this make sense and if so, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. ~D

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Hi,

I'm in the process of managing the development of an iPad Mini app that is a financial-transaction application which needs to sync with an Admin Panel and master database. The development of this app is based on a migration from an old app that is currently running on Palm OS devices.

The current setup now is that the "admin panel" is basically a Java Viewer (.jar file) which is downloaded onto Windows/MAC PCs. The administrators control the database and user rights, (the database and .jar file is on a server in the cloud). The Palm OS application is asynchronous and must be manually updated to get new data from the db via MobiLink.

Well, I am going to scrap this old system but the main issue I am having is how to go about creating the Admin panel. I know I can use a web interface and have the iPad mini app use a web service but I'd like a more secure solution and preferably a native app that will run on both Windows.

Does this make sense and if so, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. ~D

In today's world, I would be inclined to make the admin app run in a browser. You could serve it from the filesystem so it would be similar to having a native app in that it doesn't need to get stuff over the internet to do its job (though getting transactions over from the device would require the user to have the "app" running in their browser). I assume the financial transactions don't need to be backed up to the cloud or shared between users so an HTML5 "app" running in the browser, served on the local Windows, Linux or OSX box is an approach I would try first.

You could compile a small c-sharp app that simply launches the default browser and points it to the index.html main page of your app on the user's filesystem. On OSX, the same thing could be done with Xcode or even with Applescript.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.