Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Branda22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Chicago, IL
I'm confused as to the purpose of using protocols.

Is a protocol useful when you want an object to conform to a required set of methods? Let's say I have a class that I want to require certain methods to be implemented, I would then use a protocol to list out the required and optional methods?

truehybridx

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2010
I'm confused as to the purpose of using protocols.

Is a protocol useful when you want an object to conform to a required set of methods? Let's say I have a class that I want to require certain methods to be implemented, I would then use a protocol to list out the required and optional methods?

Yup, thats ultimately a reason for doing @protocol... Think of <UITableViewDelegate>, it's a protocol that defines methods your object needs to implement, because the tableView will call those on that object

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Today I used them because I had a root table view that leads to a variety of other types of views. No matter which type of view it led to, I wanted to pass the same thing to it from my root view. So I wrote a protocol in my root view's header that defined a property, then I had each of my other views conform to the protocol so that in my prepare for segue method I could just cast the destination view controller to an id<protocol> and utilize the property I had defined as being part of the protocol.

Protocols are a way of just saying, I'm not sure what exactly you are, but whatever you are, I want you to have this set of methods. It allows you to keep your program modular and easy to expand. IE, I can easily add other sub view types and all I have to do is say they conform to that protocol.

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia
Today I used them because I had a root table view that leads to a variety of other types of views. No matter which type of view it led to, I wanted to pass the same thing to it from my root view. So I wrote a protocol in my root view's header that defined a property, then I had each of my other views conform to the protocol so that in my prepare for segue method I could just cast the destination view controller to an id<protocol> and utilize the property I had defined as being part of the protocol.

Protocols are a way of just saying, I'm not sure what exactly you are, but whatever you are, I want you to have this set of methods. It allows you to keep your program modular and easy to expand. IE, I can easily add other sub view types and all I have to do is say they conform to that protocol.

Protocols also serve as an alternative to multiple inheritance, which Objective-C does not support.

If you have 3 different classes with different ancestry that you all want to teach a common set of behaviors to, and want to be able to create a shared interface to, you can make them all conform to a protocol.

In C++, which DOES support multiple inheritance, you might solve the same problem by creating a new base class and then creating subclasses of all 3 classes that inherit from both their class and the new class.

A protocol is like a specific technical jargon that objects agree to speak with each other. As ArtOf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.