Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
It's possible that the fingerprint scanner wasn't ready in time for the iPhone 5S and iPad 5, so it will be the next year's models that get it. Either that or Apple just got lucky that no one in China took a pic of that specific part...yet.

Of course that makes you wonder what Apple will use to primarily distinguish the 5S from the 5 (colors???).

Yeah I'm starting to wonder that myself...cus the 5 C is essentially getting all of the iPhone 5's internals. So besides the processor bump and camera bump...there's got to be something else. Form factor isn't changing. Maybe screen resolution??? I highly doubt IGZO has made it's way in there, but what else could they possibly add? iOS7 isn't even going to be exclusive

sik08amg

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
Tampa, FL
I think if we see a finger print sensor/scanner, it will be on the top button, not the home button. The shape makes sense. Both would be easier to replace if there was a hardware issue versus an in screen scanner.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
... Apple will introduce the Apple iPhone 5C and the Apple iPhone 5S on September 28th with a launch on the 27th of the same month.

Kind of like "Groundhog Day"?

----------

I think if we see a finger print sensor/scanner, it will be on the top button, not the home button. The shape makes sense. Both would be easier to replace if there was a hardware issue versus an in screen scanner.

I think the best solution would be to have the fingerprint sensor embedded in the screen itself, not the home button. So when you do the (patented) swipe-to-unlock, the iPhone will read your fingerprint. And the sensor would be invisible, of course. Might be very hard to do from a technical standpoint.

Then again, it may also be very hard to put a fingerprint sensor in the home button. There's very little clearance because it's just above the Lightning port, and it's smaller than most adult thumbs and fingers so it wouldn't get a full picture of the thumbprint or fingerprint.

And guess what. Apple has been granted a patent for several biometric security techniques, including a fingerprint sensor embedded in the touchscreen:

When desired, the electronic device may expose the concealed components by causing the electronic window to change opacity, allowing the components to suddenly appear as from out of nowhere.

Full story at Patently Apple: http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/10/apple-invents-biometric-features-for-e-commerce-security.html

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah I'm starting to wonder that myself...cus the 5 C is essentially getting all of the iPhone 5's internals. So besides the processor bump and camera bump...there's got to be something else. Form factor isn't changing. Maybe screen resolution??? I highly doubt IGZO has made it's way in there, but what else could they possibly add? iOS7 isn't even going to be exclusive

Offering a larger screen size, like 4.8" in addition to the 4", would have been a good move, but it appears that may be another thing being held off until next year at the earliest. Well, it looks like even if there are supply constraints with the 5S, it may turn out to be one of the easiest iPhones to get your hands on right after launch, especially if enough people hungry for a different look gravitate toward the 5C.

TomWB

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2013
Is it just me, or does one of those parts have neon green tabs and the other neon blue?

Could these be iPhone 5C parts?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
nothing will take the place of the passkey. if/when the scanner arrives it will be an option -- just as one can use a strong password instead of the PIN.

This.

Also, worth noting for those who weren't aware is that if you opt to use a longer password, if you restrict it to just numbers, it'll still throw up just the numeric keypad. Only learned this 9 months or so ago. I wanted a better than 4 digit passcode but didn't want to suffer the tiny portrait qwerty keyboard every time I unlock (after 15 minutes). Quite handy.

Most may be aware of this, but worth posting for those that weren't.

beastmode2449

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Eagle Mountain, Utah
Maybe the Camera is part camera part scanner. ;) But it would make more sense to place the scanner where the side button is (wakes phone from sleep).

So with the side button scanner it would make sense, then if a stranger picks up the phone and tries to wake it, then the password display will appear. ;)

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Offering a larger screen size, like 4.8" in addition to the 4", would have been a good move, but it appears that may be another thing being held off until next year at the earliest.

Good move? Finally Apple would finally catch up to all other smartphones.. An iPhone with a 4,7" screen (and frontspeaker like the HTC one), THAT would be the real deal!

I just can't imagine how big the YAWN will be in fall, when the "all new 5S" with the same old 4" is gonna be released.

mikef137

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
Front camera flex cable picture

Is it just me or does the front and back picture of the front camera flex cable not match. Is one of the pictures mirrored or are these two different parts?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I don't expect the earth year on year, but a faster 5 with a fingerprint sensor is about as exciting as....a faster 4 with Siri.

mikef137

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
Is it just me or does the front and back picture of the front camera flex cable not match. Is one of the pictures mirrored or are these two different parts?

Oops, as I look closer I see that the writing on one of the pictures is reversed.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Finger print scanner is going to be for the iPhone 5FS. Might as well start gadget spamming like Samsung.

That or either the fingerprint scanner was pulled due to supply or yield issues.

My take is the fingerprint scanner has been working on the bench for over a year. However, they can't get it built in the volume Applle needs.

They make have a an ultra-high end with a fingerprint scanner for high security environments but I don't see it as mass market.

Also, the urban legend about people having their fingers cut off for unauthorized access of high security environments is not a legend.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
I don't expect the earth year on year, but a faster 5 with a fingerprint sensor is about as exciting as....a faster 4 with Siri.

Twice as fast and better camera is enough for me. Its becoming a mature product, any new features are going to be minor or gimicky. I find siri awesome and faster for many things and that was a nice bonus to me, but faster and better camera is what makes me want to upgrade every year. Life is short, how could anyone be ok with wasting seconds of your life using an old model?

fingerprint sensor could be awesome, the end of passwords, even less seconds of my life wasted.

Please tell me, what could they add that you would find exciting? for me, the holy grail would be good biometrics, where it could know my blood levels and tell me what I need to eat, and early detection of cancer/other diseases.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Twice as fast and better camera is enough for me. Its becoming a mature product, any new features are going to be minor or gimicky. I find siri awesome and faster for many things and that was a nice bonus to me, but faster and better camera is what makes me want to upgrade every year. Life is short, how could anyone be ok with wasting seconds of your life using an old model?

fingerprint sensor could be awesome, the end of passwords, even less seconds of my life wasted.

Please tell me, what could they add that you would find exciting? for me, the holy grail would be good biometrics, where it could know my blood levels and tell me what I need to eat, and early detection of cancer/other diseases.

Introducing iDoctor. Anyway, I hope the 5S offers more than a improved camera and CPU.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Don't expect too much & U won't B disappointed! Other than apple buying Authentec ans Apple filing a patent we have not heard a word about this being in the next IPhone
LET/S hope that its in there for our sake and Apples!!

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007

I agree that it's a mature product, like I said, I don't expect the earth year on year. That said, I struggle to think how a 5S could be perceptibly faster than the current 5, enough that it'd make an actual difference to me. Camera, I understand - personally, the 5 camera is fine for what I use it for (quick pics) as I have a dslr for better q photos.

Really, I'd just like a bigger screen, maybe 4.5" to 4.8", then I'd bite.

I'm contract free unlocked btw, with ample funds for any upgrade that takes my fancy. It's just that, personally, it has be a whole lot more than what is likely a similar transition to the 4/4S.

HolgerR

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2013
Those "wishes" for a bigger screen really make me sick. As an owner of iPhones from the 3GS upwards I think that the IP 5's screen is too big already. It just feels wrong even after all this time when I bought it at launch. People using those Samsungs look just as ridiculous as people taking photos with their iPads. I really hope Apple doesn't make that mistake.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Those "wishes" for a bigger screen really make me sick. As an owner of iPhones from the 3GS upwards I think that the IP 5's screen is too big already. It just feels wrong even after all this time when I bought it at launch. People using those Samsungs look just as ridiculous as people taking photos with their iPads. I really hope Apple doesn't make that mistake.

You're right, the 5's screen is wrong; because it's too 'long'. If you ever tried a 4,7" screen for several days, you don't wanna look back.

Maybe you're talking about people with Samsung Notes, yeah, that looks weird.. but 4,7-5" phones are absolutely okay.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
People using those Samsungs look just as ridiculous as people taking photos with their iPads. I really hope Apple doesn't make that mistake.

Couldn't give a monkeys about what it "looks" like from a 3rd party point of view. If I can still do almost everything with one hand but get more text/video on a device that still slips easily into a pocket, it's a much more functional and useful device for me. When Im without my Kindle, I read books on my phone, and at the gym I watch video on it when I'm on the cross trainer or running. Bigger = better in this respect, and I've got normal sized hands.

Talking strictly about upto 4.8" devices here, not phones of Note/Galaxy Mega proportions. Missus has a HTC One and everything I can do one handed with my 5 I can do same on the One. Plus, the One has quite a big chassis and bezel relative to the 5, so an iPhone equivalent would be highly manageable.

Last edited:

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
Probably because it will be part of the iphone 6 if anything. The "S" steps are always camera, processor, and some neat software.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
The only piece of proof (which isn't even proof, more like a suggestion) that we have is the code in iOS 7 which explains how to use the sensor. I doubt they would put it in iOS 7 if it was going to be on the iPhone 6 and not the 5S. They would have it in iOS 8 betas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.