Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sputnek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Florida - Ohio
I'm giving my 2011 13'' MBP i7 to my niece, and I'm trying to clean out the computer, but I want to leave in programs such as MO Student so my sister wont have to buy it for her. Do you guys and gals have any suggestion on any pseudo-wiping the MBP?

Primarily want to delete my itunes media and business files.

Thank you in advance.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
All your data should be in your user account. If you create a new account for your niece, and then delete your old account, it should be good to go.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I'm giving my 2011 13'' MBP i7 to my niece, and I'm trying to clean out the computer, but I want to leave in programs such as MO Student so my sister wont have to buy it for her. Do you guys and gals have any suggestion on any pseudo-wiping the MBP?

Primarily want to delete my itunes media and business files.

Thank you in advance.

You might consider wiping deleted space once you're done in case she loses the machine and "some bad guy" gets ahold of it and undeletes your 2007 tax return. :eek:

All your data should be in your user account. If you create a new account for your niece, and then delete your old account, it should be good to go.

Make sure you create a new admin account before deleting the old one!

Sputnek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Florida - Ohio
You might consider wiping deleted space once you're done in case she loses the machine and "some bad guy" gets ahold of it and undeletes your 2007 tax return. :eek:

Make sure you create a new admin account before deleting the old one!

Thank you for the reply. I never thought about the tax scenario and that led to me think of how many docs like that I have on here. So I guess I will wipe the comp and purchase her a new copy of Microsoft Office. Thank you again.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Thank you for the reply. I never thought about the tax scenario and that led to me think of how many docs like that I have on here. So I guess I will wipe the comp and purchase her a new copy of Microsoft Office. Thank you again.

No. Wait. No need to send money to M$. That would be a bigger disaster than publishing your tax return on this forum. :eek:

You can simply follow the procedure for adding a new admin account, wiping your old account but after you've done that you can pick from a number of severity levels of disk wiping to make sure your files aren't available in deleted space on your Mac.

Sputnek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Florida - Ohio
No. Wait. No need to send money to M$. That would be a bigger disaster than publishing your tax return on this forum. :eek:

You can simply follow the procedure for adding a new admin account, wiping your old account but after you've done that you can pick from a number of severity levels of disk wiping to make sure your files aren't available in deleted space on your Mac.

Haha good save, I was just about to start, but thankfully I came across your message before I went ahead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.