Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
I'm not too sure what he exactly meant to have been doing for Apple. I think it's sometimes is all getting a bit overhyped, Cooke's reality distortion so to speak.

Also to really stay focused on 'special projects' while having publicly announced your retirement and being super rich is not really a very fortunate position to deliver 'special' products. Only a few could cope with such circumstances. Guess, we'll have to wait and see where this is all gonna end.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Good. Their current products are stale, no reason to upgrade type of products.

iPhone and iPad can't do all the work for too much longer.

funny, ive recently bought a new apple desktop computer, phone, tablets in two sizes, and am thinking about one of their new laptops. i think they make the finest computing machines in the world and find them anything but stale.

as for idevices vs non -- dunno if youve read the numbers but the PC market is tanking and mobile is in growth mode. thus, they focus on mobile. thats the primarily focus because thats what people are voting for with their dollars.

Woz 2.0 ?

was thinking the same...he's their Woz

Last edited by a moderator:

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Head of the Apple Pie division I'd say ;)

LOL Piggie :p

Seriously though, do you know that there actually used to be an Apple PIE division? Certainly here in the UK, anyway.

Back in the early-mid 90's I used to have some involvement with the PIE (Personal Interactive Electronics) team when Newton was introduced to the market.

RTP.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
there actually used to be an Apple PIE division? Certainly here in the UK, anyway.

Back in the early-mid 90's I used to have some involvement with the PIE (Personal Interactive Electronics) team when Newton was introduced to the market.

RTP.
pi-day-puz.png

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
apple's always like this, they never tell anything about the "new products", a good way to create hype and excitement, but it's also nerve-wrecking.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Make it thinner and take away some feature. Then call it "innovation". Hopefully they get over the "thin" obsession.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
It was Schiller that said that, not Mansfield. ;)
Yes, but then Mansfield had probably more to do with the design of the new Mac Pro than Schiller, thus we might say that Mansfield deserves the 'innovator' cap at least to the same degree. (Sure, we'll likely never know how much Schiller, Ive, Mansfield, or Cook contributed to that design but it's likely Mansfield played an important role.)

----------

OK I don't get why Cook created this new role when he did the re-org last year. Why didn't he just say Mansfield would be working on special projects (even if internally he was still managing teams that weren't ready to transition to Riccio or Williams). It just seems odd to create a new SVP role only to get rid of it 8 months later. And then not say anything to the media until after someone questioned why Mansfield was removed from Apple's website. Very strange all around. :confused:
Has Apple put out a press release for every addition to or removal from the SVP list?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Too bad Forestall and Browett lost last years round. TNT is looking to serialize Apple's quarterly "SVP Musical Chairs" into a reality show.

Attachments

• Musical-Chairs2.png
    Musical-Chairs2.png
    122 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
This guy has the best job in the world. All the fun and challenge without the management headaches.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Mansfield's role might be to setup and start their semiconductor business. I was thinking that all the rumors and facts surrounding Apples foray into chip design and now perhaps manufacturing will be Mansfield's role to lead. This would be a separate entity within Apple and since it's not the consumers or developers that would be this department's foremost customer, then this division might do best to not act directly under Apples's primary management structure.

That is a distinct possibility. I mean, who knows, they have so many projects going on quietly behind the scenes, at any given time, that we are not privy to. Such a role might be right up Bob's alley.

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...

Thanks for the good laugh Don Henle.....err...Tubamajuba.

On a serious note, Bob is a man with immense hardware & engineering knowledge, who comes across as a solid guy, and a voice of reason, when difficult decisions need to be made. Tim and Apple are 'crazy-like-a-fox' to hold on to him as long as they can. By all accounts, he's been a loyal and invaluable member of the team.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yes, but then Mansfield had probably more to do with the design of the new Mac Pro than Schiller, thus we might say that Mansfield deserves the 'innovator' cap at least to the same degree. (Sure, we'll likely never know how much Schiller, Ive, Mansfield, or Cook contributed to that design but it's likely Mansfield played an important role.)
The website justia.com has some of the depositions from the Apple/Samsung trial. In one deposition with a mechanical engineer he says of the industrial design team:
"there are things that they ask for that are industrial designs that I've never seen a mechanical design for, because sometimes they ask for certain things we just don't know how to do the mechanical design for."
I wonder if the new MacPro fell into this category at one point. I've no doubt Bob played a big role in making that product reality. :)

Has Apple put out a press release for every addition to or removal from the SVP list?
They did when Bob retired. I think they also did when Bertrand Serlet left.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
i think he's working on the rumored apple gaming console. cant wait to see it.:D

It would be lovely but Apple has, for decades now, always been weak on graphics.

They basically killed off any chance they ever had to become popular as a gaming device ever and let the PC romp home due to this fact.

I would even go so far as to say, it was a major reason why they almost died off. PC's were THE games machine and people bought them in their millions to run games on, upgrading buying faster one for faster games every few years, Doom, Quake etc etc.

Apple just did what Apple does best, dig it's heels in and think it's knows better than everyone else, and it almost killed them off.

And they still have not learned even to this very day, trying to downgrade games quality to their devices, as opposed to make their computers lead the way and drive the graphics quality forwards

Putting the Wii and the disasterous Wii U to one side, Top performing Consoles and Apple just don't go together.

It's a dam shame, but they just don't want to get into this arena. Perhaps they feel they can't, and have never been able to compete?

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
OK I don't get why Cook created this new role when he did the re-org last year. Why didn't he just say Mansfield would be working on special projects (even if internally he was still managing teams that weren't ready to transition to Riccio or Williams). It just seems odd to create a new SVP role only to get rid of it 8 months later. And then not say anything to the media until after someone questioned why Mansfield was removed from Apple's website. Very strange all around. :confused:

Bet you it was because the people that worked for him didn't want to work for his successors. Now maybe they have got used to them. It's probably all about Respect. Happens all the time with creatives.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
only problem I see is that visionary and youthfulness ofttimes come hand in hand...time
for Apple to bring in the new???

Only a kid with no experience could suggest that.

Steve Jobs was 56.

I had the pleasure to have some discussions on the Internet with George Marsaglia, excellent mathematician, who produced new and exciting stuff that you can only dream of. Then I heard he died. Then I heard he was 86.

BTW Bob Mansfield's job isn't being the visionary. His job is to build the visions. It's no good having a vision for a device that's on your wrist, for example, doing all kinds of great things that nobody else thought of, if you can't actually build it.

It would be lovely but Apple has, for decades now, always been weak on graphics.

They basically killed off any chance they ever had to become popular as a gaming device ever and let the PC romp home due to this fact.

I would even go so far as to say, it was a major reason why they almost died off. PC's were THE games machine and people bought them in their millions to run games on, upgrading buying faster one for faster games every few years, Doom, Quake etc etc.

Apple just did what Apple does best, dig it's heels in and think it's knows better than everyone else, and it almost killed them off.

And they still have not learned even to this very day, trying to downgrade games quality to their devices, as opposed to make their computers lead the way and drive the graphics quality forwards

Putting the Wii and the disasterous Wii U to one side, Top performing Consoles and Apple just don't go together.

It's a dam shame, but they just don't want to get into this arena. Perhaps they feel they can't, and have never been able to compete?

I don't know if you realize that Apple's hobby, the Apple TV, has been outselling XBox for several quarters now? That one year of iPad sales, and half a year of iPhone sales, are about the same as _total_ XBox sales? I think you really overestimate the importance of the "gaming" market. It's easy to overestimate because the people who are in this market would be the ones most likely to post on the internet and complain loudly, but that doesn't mean there are actually that many of them, and that they have any real importance.

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I don't know if you realize that Apple's hobby, the Apple TV, has been outselling XBox for several quarters now? That one year of iPad sales, and half a year of iPhone sales, are about the same as _total_ XBox sales? I think you really overestimate the importance of the "gaming" market. It's easy to overestimate because the people who are in this market would be the ones most likely to post on the internet and complain loudly, but that doesn't mean there are actually that many of them, and that they have any real importance.

It means nothing
We used to have a company in the UK Called Amstrad that make junk hifi anf computers and they sold to the masses by the millions.
Anyone who knew anything knew they were junk and long term they never really got anywhere, apart from making him rich as the general public who knew no better bought them.

That's why I say Steve Jobs has done more damage to computing in recent years than almost any other individual, by showing firms they can sit back an not have to worry about forging ahead on hardware and lowering people expectations, to the point they are happy with low tech games and a few companies that try to push quality and high end will struggle due to the one dollar game expectations

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.